Print Screen Captures Desktop Screenshots in One Click

By 09-03-2005   ComputersTutorials

Have you used the Print Screen feature ever to capture desktop screenshots in one click? Print Screen key lies on the top right part of most keyboards along with the Scroll Lock and Pause Break Key and can easily capture desktop screenshots.

print screen keyPrint Screen Captures Screenshots

If you use Windows, then just by clicking on print screen key will capture or take a photo of all content of your current desktop screen. This image is attached to the clipboard.

Then just paste this to any image editing software. Microsoft Paint is freely available on all Windows Software. Windows Paint is located at Start>All Programs>Accessories>Paint. The whole screen image will be pasted. Just select your area of interest and ‘crop’ it. Then save the image. (This image on the right side showing how to locate the Paint is taken by this technique).

My personal favourite free image editing software is Irfan View. Just open it, CTRL+V pastes the image, drag to select the area of interest, ‘CTRL+Y’ crops the image as desired, ‘S’ saves as the images to where you want it.

There are several professional screenshot capture shareware software like Snagit- that will do the job for you too.  But many such image capturing software have ads, embedded text, limited trial period or disabled features.

But for most routine jobs, The Print Screen Key works just great. Give it a try. Just vary the area of cropping and you can create great effects with multiple windows or just flaunt your weird desktop for all to see!

19 comments on “Print Screen Captures Desktop Screenshots in One Click

1. Lee Grey says:

You’re going to kick yourself when you hear this. I did. ;-)

Even more useful than plain old Print Screen is Ctrl-Alt-Print Screen. It takes a snapshot of only the currently active window. No more cropping!

2. Michael Pastore says:

This post has been removed by the author.

3. Michael Pastore says:

A great screen capture program is FastStone, at http://www.faststone.org

MP

4. Anonymous says:

I don’t remember where I found it, but a program called “GrabClipSave” works great. Minimizes to the tray, then just hit PrtScrn and it automatically takes the screenshot and saves it (.jpg, .bmp, or .png) to the folder of your choice. You can also choose to have it make a sound once the screenshot is captured, but the sound will be delayed a second or two (but the picture will be taken when you hit the Prt Scrn button). Works with Zoo Tycoon running in full screen, so I’d assume it works in other games too.

5. Anonymous says:

Good info… I can use this page to help others figure out how to take a screenshot :). I think alt + print screen does the same as described by Lee Grey.

–jdjs

6. Anonymous says:

I paste it on paint and save the captured image but when I look at it again and open it, I only see blank space

7. Lynea says:

I just want to say “Thank you sooooooooo much” :) I had tried everything to capture a photo from media player and real player and nothing worked.. Thank you so much.. This is exactly what I needed.. If I ever get my website back up and running, I am definitly gonna put a link to this trick.. Awesome!

8. HART says:

Hmm.. I often wondered why there is still that “PrtScr/SysRq” button on my keyboard.

I’ve been using the Screen Capture Utility from http://www.screen-capture.net/ .. I still think it’s worth it, for $19.95usd .. as it creates it’s own .jpg on the fly .. but, had I seen your tip before I shelled out the moolah, I’d probably just use that Print Screen button and Adobe Photoshop.

9. Anonymous says:

I found another program that is similar to the two mentioned called Desktility, http://www.desktility.com which uses the print screen key as the hotkey. It is $17.95 and I’m using the 30-use trial version to see how it goes. It creates a jpg (default) and stores it in the directory of your choice. Pretty cool.

10. Liz says:

Your entry was such a great help. Thanks!