Do Adsense Image Ads Earn More than Text Ads?

By Posted 2005 Updated   Advertising

Which earns more – Adsense Image ads or text ads? Everytime before you finalize the adsense code, an option occurs to select image ads / text ads or both for that particular ad unit. How many times has it occured to you – Will I earn more with image ads?

Image ads or text ads

Google Adsense support does answer that question in a limited way

“While we can’t make any guarantees about the earnings potential of image or text ads, we believe that image ads will prove to be a high-performing option for publishers looking to monetize their pages. In fact, we show image ads when they have a higher value to you than the corresponding set of text ads that might otherwise run in the same slot.”

Now Inside Adwords has some specific answers

How do image ads compete with text ads?
Because an image ad takes up the entire ad unit on a site in our content network, instead of being one of four text ads on a page, we use an effective CPM, or eCPM, model to rank all ads in the auction. This ensures that both CPC and CPM targeted text and image ads are evaluated in the same manner. As always, the highest ranking ad(s) will be served to our users. If this happens to be an image ad, this means that the ad has an eCPM that is greater than the sum of the next four ads that it out ranks.

Did you know that image ads can run on content sites in both keyword-targeted and site-targeted campaigns. Smart pricing applies to image as well as text ads that are served on the content network. i.e. smart pricing automatically discounts the cost of keyword-targeted content clicks if data shows that a click is less likely to convert on that site.

I always select ads that run both text and image ads. If you really like banners as ads and select only image ads, there is a small possibility that you might see PSA’s if there are no image ads available for those keywords. If you select both they will show whichever ad type pays best. So make money quickly with Google Adsense by using both text and image ads.

21 comments on “Do Adsense Image Ads Earn More than Text Ads?

1. Akshay Tatuskar says:

text ads earn more revenue than image ads.
    image ads fetch u revenue when there are 1000 clicks on it.

2. QuickOnlineTips says:

I am now using text only option as text ads seem to appear more targeted. Banners shout ads and users avoid clicking them.

3. Michael says:

I’ve just started to use image ads on my blog, going to be testing it for a few months and see how it goes.

4. Alfie says:

Does this mean that the diet ads (I hope you already know this) pays well than text ads? If this is true, why many adsense publishers wanted to filter this diet ads? Just a thought. cheers.:)

5. BloggerTinker says:

I used pure Text Ads because when I used Image ads, it seems that most of the ads are off the topic. And I agree with the author, user avoids clicking banner shout ads. But one thing I am sure of about google adsense is that Link ads pay the lowest.

6. chetan says:

Am agree with you that image ads show off the topic. In my opinion both text and image ads pay more.

7. Mohit says:

Image ads are generally CPM ads, so if the visitor is not interested in clicking ad his visiting will still pay off.

In my opinion Image Ad is as much as important as the text ad.

8. Jose Farrugia says:

I’ve just started using Image Ads on my site. I’ll see how it goes. :)

9. Terminology Software says:

I tried to use both and choosed “text and image ads”, but there were still only text ads. It could not find any image ad relative to content. Now started with image ads only.

10. Dave Ruckle says:

I mix well images and text advertisement. My experience says if image advt is shown with graphics contents the work well. But they are so useful for textual pages.

11. Adsense CPC says:

well, some agree that image ads pay less than text ads.
    But we don’t know for sure, but i now select my ads to only show text ads rather than image ads, i see some image ads shows ads from google itself or other cheap service

12. Internet Entrepinoy says:

In my experience, text ads pays more than image ads. I earn more from placing Adsense text ads in my Entrepinoy Bank site.

13. Special Tips says:

is against adsense TOS if I place adsense image ads inside my blog post?

For detail visit my blog, there is adsense banner 468 x 60 inside the post

Thanks!

• QuickOnlineTips says:

You can place adsense inside blog posts. But currently I dont’ see any adsense ads on your articles.

14. cb00 says:

Do you select both even for ads inside content?

Would you guys recommend getting rid of the top banner completely?

• QuickOnlineTips says:

We are using text ads for those inside content. I think top banners don’t convert well.

15. Allyson Deans says:

Lovely blog! I am loving it!! Will be back later to read some more. I am bookmarking your feeds also

16. SushiArcade says:

Thanks for the info, exactly what I was looking for. A bit surprised text ads are performing better. Will leave both enabled for now.

17. Ian says:

If when all my ads are set to show both image and text and if its true that the highest paying ad blocks will be shown first based on their position in the html code then why do I sometimes get an image ad on the bottom 336×260 and text on the the top 336×280 on the same page?

If any body could clarify that would be greatly appreciated!

18. Raman says:

In one block there are 3-4 text ads whereas 1 image ad in a block.

Therefore publisher will have to pay more for image ads coz his ad is occupying space of 3-4 text ads.

Therefore image ads pay 300% more than text ads.