Yahoo! Mail Users to Get Less Spam Emails

By Posted 2008 Updated   Security

I use Yahoo! Mail and get lots of spam emails in my inbox. Then I upgraded to Yahoo! Mail Plus, and though the spam is less, I would like it to be lesser. Yahoo! is now tightening up spam controls and have begun rolling out a significant new defense system….

Yahoo! mail “Spam Czar” has announced

Starting today, we will be taking the bold move of rejecting mail from these zombie computers, using information from a number of third-party companies and ISPs to help in the identification. When these unauthorized computers attempt a connection to our back-end mail servers, theyll be politely informed that their unsolicited mail is not welcome at Yahoo!. (This change is on the back-end only; users connecting through the Classic or All-New Yahoo! Mail web interfaces will not be blocked by this change.)

Now hopefully zombie computers that send out millions of spam messages every day will be blocked. This is welcome news and I hope to see less of spam emails in my inbox and better email filtering to the Bulk Folder instead.

I switched my primary account to Gmail a few years back, when a friend passed along a premium gmail invite and I have observed that Gmail has a more spam free inbox than Yahoo Mail. Maybe its because of the superior Gmail Spam Fighting Technology.

You can upgrade your Yahoo mail to Yahoo! Mail Plus and get even fewer unwanted mails with SpamGuard Plus. Also get no graphical ads, offline access (with POP) and mail forwarding and more capacity with larger attachments.

9 comments on “Yahoo! Mail Users to Get Less Spam Emails

1. Hannah says:

Instead of using yahoo, I use gmail. I’ve used yahoo in the past and wasn’t too impressed. Now I have every email address I’ve ever had linked to my gmail account, and I manage all my mail in it. I never get spam. :) Gmail rocks, you should at least give it a try.

2. rambhai says:

ya gmail rocks man. i hav always liked the google products. they are so simple to use and yet so functional. yahoo is good no doubt but gmail is jus better and now you dont need an invite to get a gmail account

3. Syahid A. says:

I still got a lot. Maybe this effort is phase by phase. Or is it my account is too old? (I’ve been loyal to Yahoo! Mail for more than 10 years.

4. Dan says:

I will believe it when I see it. I have several Yahoo accounts and a Gmail account. Gmail has almost zero false positives when it comes to spam. I use Yahoo and YPops because it gives me better control over my email with Outlook Express than straight Gmail (Gmail if an email is not downloaded when received, it is stuck on the Gmail computer and won’t come off except being forwarded and that makes the OE filter have problems, at least in my experience). Yahoo email will reject (put into the bulk (spam) folder) some emails if it is from admin@domain.com versus suppport@domain.com and that is after you have identified support@doamin.com as a friend and put it into the Yahoo address book.

Identifying emails as spam to Yahoo seems to take a long time for Yahoo to get the message about some of the prolific spammers and putting those emails into the bulk folder.

Like I said, I will believe it when I see it. And it can not come too soon.

5. william says:

Surely it’s FEWER spam emails?

William

6. Mike says:

Actually I definitely noticed less spam, both in my inbox and in my spam folders. I was pleasantly surprised so I searched “less spam in yahoo mail” and I got on this web page.

7. raja says:

give me an search engine name or web that cannot be blocked by anyone

8. Karen M says:

I was wondering what happened.. I am used to getting about 250+++ Junk Emails A DAY – and recently I have been averaging less than 50 per day.

I thought that I was missing something, or that something spooky was happening.. so I did a search to see if it were just me.. and maybe there were bounce backs happening to me.

Wow.. well I gotta say Kudos, and that Yes, it IS definitely working

9. blaze says:

Just grabbed the feed… thanks for posting this.