How to Edit Any WebPage Online Live in Your Browser

By Posted 2008 Updated   BloggingTutorials

How easy is it to edit any web page online on any website in your browser and create fake screenshots? Very simple and easy. Paste a simple code into the location bar and you can actually edit any page on any site in real time. Though this sounds like fun, it can have serious implications.

Let me start by surprising you with my million dollar Adsense earnings for today!

Ok so its a fake screenshot and I did not use Adobe Photoshop or any image editing software, so how did I do it?

Edit Web Pages to Create Fake Screenshots

Option 1: Type code in Browser

Here is the magic edit website javascript code spreading across the web which can edit any web page

javascript:document.body.contentEditable='true'; document.designMode='on'; void 0

Simply copy and paste it into the location bar of your web browser when you are on any page and you can now edit it. Though this is a cool tool to have some fun, it is dangerous tool used by scammers to create fake screenshots and websites resembling the original to misinterpret facts and for phishing attempts. So you need to be alert on the web and not believe everything you see…

Option 2: Use Bookmarklets

The best way – You don’t actually need to remember that code – To make this process faster, use the Edit Page bookmarklet (drag the link to your browser bookmarks toolbar, and click when needed).

Try it on this page now by simply placing the cursor on any text, deleting it or editing it. These edits are not permanent and limited to your browser window only. Refresh the page and its gone. There are more lists of many such bookmarklets to modify web pages.

Compatibility – I checked that this code works on Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera, and Safari. Although it is easy to edit any page by altering its html code, this real time editing is amazing. Opera web browser also has a built in special feature to do this View > Source, edit in Source Editor and ‘Apply Changes’.

Edit Source Code in Opera

Option 3: Other browser scripts

Firefox users can also try the Firebug firefox extension, a powerful tool that lets you edit, debug, and monitor CSS, HTML, and JavaScript live in any web page, and is popular among webmasters and web designers. Greasemonkey is another popular Firefox extension that modifies the web and allows you to customize the way a web page displays and functions using small bits of JavaScript.

You now know how easy it is to edit web page online and even a kid could do it. Beware of what you see online… it could not be true!

68 comments on “How to Edit Any WebPage Online Live in Your Browser

1. GoingLikeSixty says:

This is really FREAKY simple. I’ve already earned my million dollars, hit the top of Yahoo Buzz and the front of Huffpo.
    wow. just wow.

• Hampo Anderson Chibuike says:

Yo man since you have made some millions, perhaps you could tip me with some little, some people just don’t have any, God bless you thank you.

2. srinivas says:

Wow.. Super.

3. Quakeboy says:

This is sooo coool !

4. Marc Savoy says:

This is indeed a neat little trick but to what end?
    Editing the page provides no permanence in the manner in which it was edited and restarting the browser reverts the page back to its intended online appearance. It also un-enables all page usability features such as hypertext linking and the ability to post comments, essentially
    transformed into a dead screen copy page.

The option to edit any web page has been around for quite some time available via the Firefox add-on ‘Remove It Permanently’ where you can edit any page permanently with all page usability features intact.

5. Keith Dsouza says:

Wow this is funky, wonder how many users use this to fool around with their stats and earnings. Lol.

6. Bum says:

Cool!

I have seem some very nice bookmarklets but this one is on of the best.

7. pjaraj says:

This is Coool…..

• GKFX says:

Doesn’t always work, but cool when it does.

• Trick says:

The Trick is to copy the code without the J for Chrome and the new Int. Explorer. Paste the code in the address bar THEN type the J. That;s what I found out.

8. Mark says:

Great Post. I saw this before and wanted to find it again and came accross your site. Much more informative than the original one I visited .

If you can do this in the browser, why can’t you make web pages like this? I know, semantics, smantics. haha

Cool. Thanks

9. Dwayne Charrington says:

Wow, thanks for the heads up on the Opera trick. I am relatively new to Opera (I switched from Firefox), I haven’t looked back since. I missed Firebug, but Opera has features that come close enough for me.

10. Leland says:

Woah… this is actually useful! When you’re on a page for a long time (Wikipedia, video games, etc.) you can use this to get rid of advertisements! Very cool, thanks for sharing!

11. Ricks says:

Or use firebug :)

• jared says:

i still use firebug, firesheep, cheatengine6.0, and this. firebug is too slow, firesheep is AWESOME, cheatengine is AWESOME, and this is really cool.

12. Chris says:

You ca actually reactivate the page with all of the edits still present by reversing all of the values of the link that you pasted.

1. After editing the page, post this again

and if u read it there is a value that says true, one that says on and the number 0 at the end. Change true to false, change on to off and change the 0 to 1 and then press enter and the page will be a regular page again with the edits still on. Enjoy

• adi says:

Hahahha!! watever u said didnt worked!!!

• Canby says:

actually, he was clueless.
        javascript:document.body.contentEditable=’false’; document.designMode=’on’; void 0

is the real code

• dskushwaha says:

Whatever you said has a little mistake. “true” is to to be replace with “false”, “one” is to to be replace with “off” but “o” is not a value, so it need not to replaced with “1”

13. Arnaud L says:

Nice trick!
    But still a bit too limited: you can’t save the state of a modified page for instance.
    “Live Website Editor” features persistency of the modified webpages.
    You can find it here: http://code.google.com/p/lwe/
    It’s still in an early version but it works on most of the websites.
    Cheers

14. reshadat says:

ah man..this is very easy. now this explains the cheap revenue making books on webmasters forums

15. Alan says:

All you’ve stated has been used as a learning tool for us webmasters. Perhaps you’ve heard of HTML guardian? It will encrypt the HTML basically, leaving the code unreadable and of no use to anyone.

• Mike Flaherty says:

No haven’t heard of guadian, though i’m wondering why you would want to encrypt a page making the code “unreadable and of no use to anyone”.
      alternately I think there is value in stating something that can be used by others to facilitate learning.
      Also to the people trying to change pages the article states in it’s first sentence that this only edits the page in YOUR OWN BROWSER, it makes no changes to the server running the website

16. shadowlord says:

I Kno whow to do it permanatly as well

17. Rajan says:

Hai this is a good tool.But whats the use? With this,it only seems like a toy 4 child.So i like to know whats the permanent solution for this.That means if u can please explain how to edit a web page and save it for lng time.please put it.It will be help full for others also.

18. Vincent Carabbacan says:

how can i edit my account there using this one? please tell me how to use this firebug.. thank you..

19. Brady says:

Is there an easy way to print an edited page? I’m no expert, but my browser freezes up when I try to print it directly or when I try to save it as a Web Archive (in IE).. I’m guessing because of the active javascript. I would love to use this to edit some unecessary explicit content by removing a few words and print off the rest.. Thanks!

• Samuel Kaisar says:

you can press the ”print screen” button (aka ”Prnt Scr” to COPY the webpaage image.. then open Paint and then pasting it inside there by pressing ctrl v as a shortcut… the save the image and print..

20. Raden says:

I really find this hilarious.. no wonder why a lot of fake screenshots scattering around DP..

21. Carole Thomas says:

this sometimes the reason why their are so many fake information is scattering around, no wonder when time comes all the info in the internet would become doubtful.

22. prateek says:

the false, off and 1 thing is not working.. i tried it many times

23. Elijah says:

It works for me.

24. Bodasactra says:

It is a neat toy. It would be nice to be able to edit your own site pages online, for real, without FTP. I do that for my websites. I have websites with built in online editors. Go to your site, log in as the administrator and edit the content. You can upload video, insert code, embed media like Youtube, upload images, upload Flash files, change and add text,build and style divisions and tables. It can be whole pages or areas of pages. Better than a full CMS, its a website with just the editors of CMS without all the complex junk.

25. prosper says:

please how can i edit a page online and the edited content remains permanent.

26. rk says:

itz realy working..

27. Michael Nunn says:

Sweet, nice trick. This is how many “gurus” get screenshots of their clickbank accounts showing thousands of dollars a day in earnings…pretty cool.

28. David says:

Wow. This is a great trick but are there any ways to make the edits permanent. All of the ways that previous people said didn’t work. Please someone tell me a permanent way to edit live web pages that works.
    Thanks

29. zeeshan says:

its usability is less because we can’t save the changes made in webpages.Any idea to save the changes permanently….

30. Muffi says:

How do I save it on the page, cuz if pushing f5 it just goes back to normal.

But yea, it’s really cool!

31. Andy says:

This is pretty damn sweet, man! I can edit pages and trick people. People that I know, though.

32. MuJE says:

this is pretty damn cool!

33. gomme auto says:

wow, simply loving it!!!

34. EzeRider87 says:

Thanks So Much for sharing this…this is totally rich!

35. Chris says:

This is the best every time I need a code I come here even at school it is simply the best

36. Jordan says:

Is there any way to edit a webpage so that no matter who viewed it they could see the changes that were made??
    Please answer

• Derek says:

I would select all and copy to some web page software, but I never use web page software. It clutters the code with unneeded statements. As to without editing software, good luck.

• Canby says:

it isn’t possible

37. momi says:

it`s edit but not permanent…….

38. Chaunta says:

I just want to change the dollar value on my personal account page but the entire text box and line is erased when I try it. The color of the text is green and bold and changes to regular black when I try to edit it.

39. Friend says:

I am trying to erase my own comments I posted on a specific FORUM (change of heart) but the website won’t let me to go back or to erase my message. Is there any way to do it? I need to get rid of my comments because I don’t want to look as a fool anymore.
    Thanks

40. JcWhat says:

Thanks for a little piece of very useful info about browsers!

41. Kallam says:

This is cool although teachers do freak out is there a way to make it periment?

42. satyajay mandal says:

I WANT TO EDIT A WEB PAGE

• Canby says:

to edit use the code: javascript:document.body.contentEditable=’true’; document.designMode=’on’; void 0
      to halt editing use the code:

43. rajeev says:

a webpage is posting my personal info on it.how can i change its page code so that i can remove my name from it?

• Mike Flaherty says:

You don’t. This doesn’t change anything accept the way YOUR OWN BROWSER is rendering the page. You are changing it on YOUR MACHINE ONLY.

44. hailey says:

I REALLY NEED TO EDIT A WEBSITE!! HOW DO I DO IT? WHERE DOES THE LINK GO? i tried in the bar above but it gives me error

45. GalaxyHacker says:

It does not work sadly. :( This is the error i get:
    “Internet Explorer has modified this page to help prevent cross-site scripting”
    Does anybody know why this is not working?

46. Adel says:

I don’t know exactly where should I post the code..? where is the location bar..? what is the bookmarklet ?

47. vinay says:

Nowadays it’n not working on chrome, Firefox browsers, Only supporting opera browser.

48. dub says:

For firefox you can also use page hacker 1.2

49. Francesca says:

Good day I amm so delighted I found your web site, I really found you by accident, while I was bowsing on Yahoo for something
    else, Nonetheless I am here now and would just like to say cheefs for a tremendous post annd a all round thrilling blog (I also love the theme/design), I
    don’t have time to read through it all at the minute but I have bookmarked
    it and also added your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back
    to read a great deal more, Please do keep up the fantastic
    job.

50. odziiezdziecieca says:

Before allowing, but should certainly find out if one of the planned method won’t appear in any specific renovation, given that basically no navigation and road doesn’t necessarily show itself positions people for
    harmful that lower the outing. Exploring online, you may rapidly discover that experts claim typically the roadmaps
    aren’t going to be in any respect overpriced, and they are for a lot of on
    hand. Described are generally very adequate routes,
    so you can discover their whereabouts your littlest extends
    about highway.