Are You Suffering From Internet Addiction?

By Posted 2008 Updated   Blogging

Do you spend your entire day surfing the internet and have withdrawl symptoms when offline? Chinese doctors took the first step to give a diagnostic definition of Internet addiction to address medical concerns over psychological problems from Internet overuse.

Symptoms of addiction included yearning to get back online, mental or physical distress, irritation and difficulty concentrating or sleeping. The definition, based on a study of more than 1,300 problematic computer users, classifies as addicts those who spend at least six hours online a day and have shown at least one symptom in the past three months.

They say such persons can seek medical help and counselling and now psychiatrists can easily treat such cases. I am sure a large population is surfing the web over 6 hours daily and showing one of those symptoms. I am sure many of my bloggers friends show these signs of addiction too. Maybe I am also getting addicted to the web, sitting and writing this post on a Sunday evening, though I still try to avoid my blogging time wasting habits.

Wikipedia defines Internet addiction disorder (IAD) into subtypes by activity, such as overwhelming and immoderate gaming, inappropriate involvement in online social networking sites or blogging, and Internet shopping addiction. They define net compulsions as activities which, if done in person, would normally be considered troublesome, such as compulsive gambling or shopping. Problematic computer use or pathological computer use are accepted descriptions for excessive computer use that interferes with daily life.

Here are some web addiction videos to look out for –

8 comments on “Are You Suffering From Internet Addiction?

1. Markus says:

Interesting article and videos. Sometimes I wonder if pro bloggers and web developers fit in that scheme, too when they make money online. At least it’s a job but it’s hard to set boundaries when to stop working / reading feeds / watching news.

Best,

Markus

2. all top blogs says:

Interesting videos. now you got me thinking.

3. westpenninewoman says:

Thank goodness I thought it was only me. I try to wean myself off it once in a while but always go back….

4. parent of a teen gamer says:

This is a good question for many parents to ask of their teen children who spend a lot of time online. The Internet offers an “escape” for many, and I can see how you could get sucked into this addiction.

5. AskYourPC says:

I think I might be. I read once in a health book that surfing the web is a relaxing thing to do. People can get addicted to videos, reading new stuff, and so on…

6. remote access software says:

For adults to spend their work days on RSS business sites may be healthy, but for children to spend the same amount of time watching youtube may be innapropriate. Certain security devices such as the Twitter remote control, which wirelessly turns one’s PC on or off can give parents the power and conrol to regulate their kids’ computer time. I remember my parents blocking placing security codes on restricted television channels, now i’ll be placing those codes but for the internet and PC.

7. remote access software says:

Keeping impressionable children and adolescents from developing habits like spending all day in front of the computer is important for many parents. A new tool by Apple, called the Twitter remote, allows parents to control their computers wirelessly from miles away. It is a secure way of regulating the kids’ computer time and making sure they play in the yard, walk the dog, and do their homework, before falling into their youtube dreamworlds.

8. Stinky15 says:

Fertilizer or toothpaste, the woman image is all about the femininity of the modern woman and her accoutrement. ,