All Windows Live Hotmail Users Upgraded, No Switch Back

By Posted 2008 Updated   Tips

All Windows Live Hotmail users accounts are being upgraded by default to the new Hotmail with no way to revert back to the original Hotmail, and this is going to affect all Hotmail accounts within in a week.

Microsoft announced that they analyzed several thousand comments, fixed several bugs, and released five updates to the code, and now by the end of this week, all Windows Live Hotmail users will be upgraded to the new Hotmail.

New Hotmail Will Not Switch Back to Older Version

I spotted over 500 comments on that announcement and majority of new Hotmail users seem to dislike the new version and are demanding to switch back to the older hotmail version. But Hotmail is unwilling to go back saying “We cant provide two fast, secure, reliable experiences, so we have decided to just keep the new version.”

They agree that the design not optimal for smaller monitors and as monitor space is overwhelmed by ads and they are working on improvements to page layout that will give your inbox more space.They also inform that additional themes are being designed now, and will be coming soon. But I think they will not revert back like Sitemeter.

Microsoft has started converting MSN Hotmail to Windows Live Hotmail worldwide last year and the new version promised better safety, productivity and flexibility of their free email service across clients on the web, desktop and mobile phones.

Earlier Microsoft had been enticing users to use Windows Live Hotmail on your mobile device to win a free Microsoft Zune music player everyday! They also launched Cool Hotmail to let users create email accounts with a large variety of custom domain names.

25 comments on “All Windows Live Hotmail Users Upgraded, No Switch Back

1. SATISH -- Technotip.org says:

“Hotmail users dont seem to dislike the new version and are demanding to switch back to the older hotmail version.”

Is there something wrong in this line?

2. QuickOnlineTips says:

Fixed it Satish. Thanks.

3. Tom - StandOutBlogger.com says:

There is something wrong with deleting emails….

I select the ones to delete and they dont…and I have to uncheck them… then check them again..(this time the tick is a different colour) and it deletes…weird :S

4. leah says:

i cant get into my deleated emails
    or my outbox the only thing that show on my page is the inbox i think the new one is stupid and i much prefer the old one

5. Elliott says:

I hate this new Windows Live Beta stuff, i hate the mail page, the layout is awfull!

6. nathen says:

is there any way that you can get your old mail back from your account such as saved emails i cant recieve them

7. T. G. says:

I can’t open my emails. And I’m using firefox’s version 2.0 as my browser. Shouldn’t this work? Or is this a different kind of problem?

8. doug hey says:

Hi, The new hotmail layout stinks, I used to love seeing and dealing with my mails but now find it irritating and use it much less. I am fed up already of trying to locate contacts from my many pages one page at a time, what was wrong with just scrolling down the whole list at one go? Everything seems to leave me working in the bottom right hand corner all cramped up while the other 3/4 of the screen is filled with adverts and control bars most of which I never use. none out of ten for this microsoft. Give us all a break and revert to how it was before.
    Doug Hey

9. Susan McManus says:

I cannot open any emails. Is there anyone I can ring or ask what I can do?

10. elisabeth cha says:

I can’t read my emails… actually the page doesn’t move towards it’s end… I just see the first part of an email but not the rest of it…
    and I can’ t send… it’s really awfull..
    I want my old version.. or money to go to the technial service…

11. paul in fife scotland says:

how can thay do this without any warning i cant even get my password for my ebay account cos a cant pay for something jeeeeeeee susssssss give me a break am just on the web and gettin fed up already FIX IT please…..

12. Julia says:

As my DELL D400 laptop has a small screen with a low resolution, I can no longer use this service due to the actual text box being unable to fit on the screen at all. The ad banner takes up at least a third of the screen and I have had to switch email provider to a service which takes into account ALL it’s customers, not just those with higher resolution monitors.

13. Mia says:

I have sent multiple email with the issues I am having with this new version. I can only access mail that is stored on hotmail. It appears there is no option to even store your mail to your hard drive with this new version. I cannot access, my emails from my PDA with this new version. And it is a pain in the rear end having to search through pages and pages of emails to access one email that may have been sent a week ago. I am fed up and will use gmail as my primary email account. I am certain they will loose many customers.

14. Jo says:

the design is bloody horrendous. I hate IT.

Its also much slower than b4. God, I hate Microsoft.

15. NZ says:

I don’t like the new version. I can’t send photos to my relatives without doing it one at a time

The old one at least gave flexibility with your account. Fast? Reliable? Ha! I think not..

16. Linda says:

When I open up an email it bumps be back to main page I can’t open emails when this happens…what’s the deal?

17. G R says:

I want to revert back to the Classic or “old version” of Hotmail but I cannot.

It is very unpleasant and time consuming experience using the new version, and I am thinking of closing my account.

Any suggestion or possibility to revert back?

18. christina says:

why cant i open or delete any emails. it is getting very frustrating. hurry up and do something about this please. have reset safari but still no luck.

19. ms says:

hotmail just “upgraded” my account and as a result I’ve lost over 1000 emails and my contacts list that I had saved over the years. they are refusing to restore any of this. isn’t there anything we can do legally? for a lot of us, this is the primary way we communicate and save information.

20. Julio says:

This truly sucks. Deleting emails doesn’t work for me all the time. Sometimes I have to try three or for times. At the bottom it will say working… or loading… or something like that. And it takes a LOOOONG time. I have been told that the new hotmail doesn’t play nice with firefox. If this turns out to be true I will be deleting this hotmail account that I have been using for about the last 12 or 13 years!

21. Vish Poojary says:

How to change page layout for the emails sending.

22. cecilia says:

When is someone going to take responsibility for this messed up upgrade and fix the problem for good? Since the upgrade, my mom has not been able to send or reply to email – – the tool bar above the text box appears and disappears and she can’t type in the email box. And just recently, she has been unable to browse (enter text in the search engine). She’s already spoken to Microsoft and her ISP and no one has been able to fix the problem – – only blaming it on her computer (which is less than one year old). Bad business. Whose problem is this and why can’t they fix it?

23. Poppy says:

I tried to signup for your RSS feed but it didn’t work. How can I do this?

24. ticked off consumer says:

They upgraded me without warning & now I’ve lost ALOT of important stuff in my saved messages folder> I also cant even create a new account its says my email address is already in use. GRRRRRRR

25. remote control software says:

Windows is going to lose market share to Gmail, YahooMail, and other domains if does not revert back to the original version of hotmail. With so many domain competitors out there, and Google monopolizing anything and everything internet-related, it is smart that Windows seems up-to-date and tech-savvy. Brand image is not enough if the programs are poorly designed without the end user in mind.