How to Measure Twitter Marketing Success

By Posted 2010 Updated   Guest PostsSocial MediaTwitter

Sometimes it is difficult to measure success of your marketing efforts in emerging media like Twitter. It is tough to understand what’s working and what’s not working. But for Twitter, there are tools available to measure how your marketing efforts are performing. This article explores different ways to measure Twitter success.

What to Measure for Twitter Marketing?

Before getting started, you need to have a marketing plan determining what is important to your business or organization and how to justify the success. Your organization needs to define success based on its objectives.

For example, Dell uses Twitter as a communication tool to inform their audiences about Twitter exclusive offers and discounts. For Dell, it is the number of users purchasing the discounted products via Twitter channel that they track and count. It is important to find how many Twitter users are actually clicking the link leading to sales page, how many are actually entering the coupon code and purchasing.

Another good example is that of Barack Obama’s Twitter account. He launched his account during his 2008 presidential campaign to reach as many people as possible and spread his message. In this case, it is the total number of followers and how many times @BarackObama’s tweets were retweeted, that tells the success of the campaign.

So first list those goals. All the goals may not be measurable. But most of them will be. Once you list down the goals, the next step is to hunt for reliable tools to measure success.

twInfluence: Using this tool, marketers can track how many of their followers are actually listening to their messages. It helps to track the rate at which your campaign is growing among other metrics.

Twitalyzer: This is another tool that analyzes your Twitter account popularity and how many times your messages are being referred to. This tool also lets you tie into Google analytics. Logging into Analytics account, you can track all the information about the traffic that is redirected from Twitter.

TweetEffect: Using this tool, you can find how many people are responding and reacting to your posts. This helps you identify what is and what isn’t resonating with your followers.

While using these tools, one should note that these tools are using Twitter API to pull the data for accuracy and relevance. This can affect the value of the metrics campaign. Even if the numbers may not be entirely accurate, they will provide a good idea of the growing trends and interests of people in your industry.

This article is written by guest author Indu Priya, an online marketer from theideashome.com.  She is a traffic expert and offers traffic building services to small business owners. Get her FREE ebook on how to drive 100+ traffic per day. You can also guest blog on QOT and share your Twitter tools.

This is a guest article and represents opinions of the guest author

15 comments on “How to Measure Twitter Marketing Success

1. Akash | AM Blogger says:

It has always been a problem with me to measure the success that I get with social networking websites. The tools that you have mentioned in the post will surely be beneficial for me.

Thanx for sharing. :)

2. Heidi Passey says:

Interesting tracking tools. I just tried each one. I was surprised at some of the results on TweetEffect. I did one post last week that caused 21 followers to drop. It was just a simple tweet about looking forward to get home from the day job to work on my online business. I don’t want to post a link in every tweet, so it doesn’t seem like I’m constantly marketing to people. Lesson learned. LOL

Thanks – Heidi

3. Arun Basil Lal says:

Twitter Grader is also good :)

4. Mark says:

I been waiting for someone to post something on how to measure the value of your twitter account. These tools to measure influence and effectiveness are a must.

5. Dinesh Thakur says:

Examples of the Dell and Barack Obama are good but you missed good twitter tool like Twitter Hawk, Monitter, Bubble Tweet.

6. Rinaldi Syahran says:

great tool to success your marketing twitter.

7. Kay Patterson (Blurtsmum) says:

Hey these are really useful tips — sometimes you feel you may just be whistling in the wind when utilising twitter but these tools actually help you get things clear an be more effective. Thank you Indu. K

8. Nick says:

Very good resources, one of the major problems many marketers face is that they say that social media is not trackable.

Which it obviously is, and you just proved with this blog post. I use most of these but there was one on there I did not use.

I have been using social media mainly twitter for a long time, and I am still learning so much from day to day.

9. Elvin says:

Thanks for the post.

I love that TweetEffect because I can see what tweets that draw my followers away.

10. Jake Simmons says:

A new tool just came out called http://rtcampaigns.com – one of the best methods to measure twitter marketing success that I’ve seen.

11. James says:

There really are some awesome Twitter apps out there. I personally couldn’t conceivably manage any of my work flow without some of my Twitter marketing tools. I’m sure we will see a lot more exciting tools come out in the months / years to come. I just wish I had the coding skills to come up with some of my own!!!

12. Jeanmarie Duft says:

I am continuously invstigating online for tips that can help me. Thank you!

13. Alex says:

Yes, I agree with the tools you have mentioned if I might add use Hootsuite a central dashboard tool that gives you information on Klout, Direct mentions, retweets and what tweets people responded on and where they came from.

All in one place

14. George James says:

I think Interesting tracking tools. I just tried each one. I was surprised at some of the results on TweetEffect.It gets even better

15. Dave Cleinman says:

Wow. Such a useful article that I just stumbled across. Thanks, Indu. I will try these tools. I have a decent Twitter account, and it is underutilized. With these tools I can finally track what I’m doing!