New Google Adsense Unit Format Released

By 10-08-2010   AdvertisingGoogle

The Adsense unit format is changing again and 3 new text and url placements will come to play in a few weeks on the most popular 300×250, 336×280 and 728×90 px units.

The url has been placed aside the ad title in all these units and the Adsense team promises that CTR will improve with the new format. Here is what they will look like.

New Adsense Format

The leaderboard (728x90px) with four ads is much more readable and will provide an excellent CTR as I see it. As for the rectangles, optimization testing would again be needed to see what suits these ads as the url has come on the side and will interfere with title visibility.

I would really like the Adsense team to introduce the popular 500px and 550px wide ad units which is the popular content width of many blog and the ads will fit perfectly. We have spotted several strange Adsense ads over the years like ads with 2×2 adsfaviconsno titlestitles in italics and no Ads by Google and interactive keywords. Lets see how this will work out.

If you don’t see the new ads right now, they will eventually roll over to your site in a week. Do you like the new ad formats? Share a comment.

24 comments on “New Google Adsense Unit Format Released

1. Harsh Agrawal says:

I have a feeling that this new layout will surely increase the CTR for publishers…

2. Julian says:

well

looks like the new ad format will works best in forums

3. Alfie says:

So, when it will be rolled out?

4. Amal says:

Yes, this would definitely improve the adsense ctr ratio of the units and would be a nice give for the publishers.

5. QuickOnlineTips says:

I really like the 728×90 wide banner. The link alignment is perfect.

6. joe says:

My adsense revenue has dropped big time since this new format was released. I wish they gave us the option of keeping the old format.

• Dude says:

Same for me, my click rate actually decreased a lot in the last 2 days. It’s sad how they just force us to use whatever they want. I know they own adsense and can do anything with it of course but c’mon why not let publishers choose the format they want.
      I don’t think this is a good biz strategy but as I just said they can do whatever they feel like it.

Anyway I really hope I just had a few bad days and things will get better soon. I’ll wait a few more days to be sure of that.

• Ian says:

Yea same. Super frustrating considering I just got my ctr rate pretty high and this brought it right back down. There was also no heads up! No warning of an upcoming change within my account. O well… Got to redesign and hope Google doesn’t decide to do something else drastic without warning.

• MazaKaro says:

But for me it got increased….. do one thing make destination URL as the same color of text. Then check it out :)

7. QuickOnlineTips says:

Its live now on our blog.

8. Ben says:

Google really should provide the option of whether to keep the old format or use the new one. It would really be win-win.

9. Ian says:

My ecpm as fallen from around 5$ to 1$ with the new design. And from the looks of it I am the only one.

10. List My Business says:

I can tell you one thing that decreases CTR, it those little left and right block where you can scroll to additional ads. However I think the Internet is experiencing Google ad blindness, and the format needed to change, however I’m not to crazy about the changes they did make.