How to Buy Amazon Kindle in India

By 18-10-2010   GadgetsIndia

Would you like to buy Amazon Kindle in India? I recently ordered a Kindle 3G Wireless Reading Device and did you know they can quickly ship your Kindle to India and  hundreds of other countries, and manage the custom duties on imported goods also.

Buy Kindle in India

If you see their International Shipping rules – only books, music, DVD and VHS videos can be shipped to India. I visited the Kindle Page and was surprised to find new Shipping options for Kindle. I quickly spotted the  links on the right titled “Live Outside the US”  and pointed to  information specific to your country.

amazon outside USA

Upon clicking it., I instantly got options to visit a separate page to order Kindle in India.

amazon kindle in india

Only Graphite Kindle for India?

But as I went looking for a White Kindle on the India specific page, Amazon would show me options for  a Graphite Kindle only. I sent in emails to Amazon support as to why White Kindle was not available in India. They informed White Kindle is available with US adaptor (and USB cable), while the Graphite Kindle for International delivery ships with a USB cable only for charging the Kindle.

kindle india adaptor

It further prompted me to buy a local power adapter with $10 discount. Upon much browsing, I found a link where I could buy the White Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi and get it for India delivery (with a US adaptor of course, but it also had a USB cable). The site mentions the US adapter is 100-240V, so will work in India, if I grab a cheap international plug adapter. At least that allows me option to charge via a power source besides my computer. There are also many cheap USB power chargers which can do the trick.

White Kindle or Graphite Kindle?

I was confused to buy a White Kindle or Graphite Kindle,  and there seems to be ample discussion on this online. Graphite is the new color, and blends in the dark, while Mac addicts like the White Kindle better.

Anyway I chose Graphite Kindle finally as it is supposed to have better contrast, and seems to be the preference of many Kindle 3 latest generation users. I like the color over white so I chose it (remember the color is graphite, not black).

WiFi or 3G – Which Kindle to Chose?

I was tempted to buy the cheap Kindle Wi-Fi only model for $139, but I chose the Kindle Wi-Fi+3G because Amazon provides free 3G across 100 countries, with no annual contracts, no monthly fees. Your Kindle will download ebooks anywhere even without a wi-fi connection, anywhere, anytime. So I chose the Wifi+3G model that costed $189. Kindle DX was too large for my needs.

Pay Import Fees, Shipping Costs

As the Kindle checkout proceeded, I realized there were import duties to be paid also. The final checkout screen revealed additional shipping and handling charges of $20.98 and import duties of $73.94. But I wanted the Kindle and I agreed to pay $283.92 for the whole deal to ship the Kindle to my door in 7 days!

kindle import price

They ship by default priority international shipping, which delivers in 7-10 days (you cannot chose a slower cheaper delivery option). What are you waiting for – go on and Buy Kindle in India.

Update: The Kindle has arrived today – in 3 days only! See the Kindle unboxing photos

Update: We bought a Kindle lighted cover in India also – you can see the Kindle Cover unboxing photos.

71 comments on “How to Buy Amazon Kindle in India

1. Abhijeet Mukherjee says:

Pretty cool discovery! I’m not sure if the device is available in the secondary markets here. But getting it shipped right from Amazon is a good option for those who want to buy it and don’t mind the extra fee.

• QuickOnlineTips says:

Amazon Kindle is not available in most markets I checked (poor demand?), unlike the iPad which you can still buy at premium prices (without bill or warranty) from many shopping plazas selling foreign goods.

This is the best way to get the original, duty paid Kindle with full warranty.

2. Siddanth A says:

Wao that was fast… what else i can buy other books music video etc..any geeky gadgets i can buy ?

3. Rahul @ MazaKaro says:

i have never tried this actually , but soon i will !!! :)
    thanx

4. siddardha says:

So the 3g works in india and is it free?

5. siddardha says:

Sorry i forgot to post in the previous comment are the free books available for free or as i heard will you be charged 2$ extra for every book(even the free one’s)

6. pravin says:

the only shameful part is the import fees.the sarkar wants its hafta even though it provides no services in this transaction between buyer and seller.GOI should remove tarrifs on goods which arent available locally atleast

• QuickOnlineTips says:

Import fees is definitely a large part of the cost of import to India.

• Nadir says:

Absolutely true. Kindle is no threat to any indian product yet the greedy politicians have to take their cuts.

its the same with motorcycles import policy – they charge 150% duty on motorcycles of the capacity that are simply not made in India.

The saddest thing about this is the accurate comment made by Pravin

While they are happy to charge us this exorbitant fee, they in no part contribute to the ownership experience at all .

its disgusting

7. Ganesh says:

If I ask someone from the USA to buy for me, will be able to access the Amazon store and buy books from it?

• QuickOnlineTips says:

The kindle is not locked. It works on wifi and free 3G. But some books, blogs, newspapers and services are restricted in India. Do read the fine print.

8. Raghavendra says:

I bought the kindle online from Amazon, awaiting the delivery. In india there was an advert in ET 12 Nov for shopping.indiatimes.com/ro that sold the kindle for around 9K change.

9. muralidharan says:

I guess the amount is reduced now I ordered the new kindle 3 wifi 3g the details below:

Item(s) Subtotal: $189.00
    Shipping & Handling: $20.98
    —–
    Total Before Tax: $209.98
    Estimated Tax To Be Collected: $0.00
    Import Fees Deposit $59.00
    —–
    Grand Total: $268.98

which you mentioned $283

What about 3g in INDIA? is it working how the performance of the kindle post your comments about that

• Ganesh says:

The import duties are approximately deducted at the time of purchase. later if they charged you more they will refund to your account.

I have wifi only version, so no idea about 3G. But think it will be good provided you get the signal. If you dont, it will work on EDGE / GPRS

10. dilip says:

3G version works with GPRS also and it takes max 1 min for books to download. There are also 3 free games which u can play in kindle. Few other games are also there but they are paid. Best part is I can read any pdf directly or convert it into kindle format and read it.