How to Use New Google Voice Search on Chrome

By Posted 2013 Updated   GoogleTutorials

If you use Google’s Chrome browser, try the new Google Voice Search and experience the next generation of so called ‘Conversational Search’ which promises to change the way you search online. I particularly loved the no typing approach to search Google online and was amazed at the voice detection and type accuracy it had.

Use Google Voice Search

First Open the Google chrome browser and visit Google.com. Now you just need to hover over the Google Search box microphone icon and it should give an alert “Search by Voice”.

google voice search

At first I did not see the microphone! If you do not see the microphone icon and the alert above, it means your Google chrome version is not updated. Go to the Settings icon on top right of the browser > Choose ‘About Google Chrome”. It will display the version and attempt to autoupdate.

Google Chrome Update

Well now when you visit Google.com, the microphone icon should appear and lets see what happens when you click it.
Voice Search off

So why did this happen? Because your microphone or any other audio detecting device is not connected to your computer. So now you need to connect a microphone, bluetooth headset or any other device which can capture your voice.

Listen Voice

And now when you click the icon, see what happens. You can now speak, and the Google search will capture your voice and display a Google search results page. Try the new way to search on Chrome.

If you can speak faster than typing, then you must try this. We increased our blogging word counts and usually speak to type this blog.

6 comments on “How to Use New Google Voice Search on Chrome

1. Tony Nguyen says:

This is very helpful,especially in case our keyboard has some problems and for children and disablities, this is essential for them to use. Thanks for sharing mate.

2. Britt McCrimmon says:

Google vice search is gonna make us just that more lazy.

3. Moon Sarker says:

Thank you so much for this post. I will follow your next post.

4. Robyn Durham says:

What steps will reproduce the problem? 1. Download and open up “Voice Search” app by Google from Market. 2. User sees an “Audio problem” issue on the voice search popup window. What is the expected output? What do you see instead? Expected output: User should see a microphone icon on the voice search popup window and user should be able to use the mic to communicate commands via the Voice Search app. Current output witnessed: Currently an “Audio Problem” error message appears when opening the Voice Search app and the microphone icon is non existant on the voice search popup window. User is not able to speak commands to the microphone. Need to investigate issues with the microphone. This issue is also needed for Google video chat. What version of the product are you using? On what operating system? Alpha 2.1 Provide logcat and dmesg logs(Most reports are worthless without logs): I’m not sure where to get this, I hope since this is very easy to recreate someone will be able to identify the problem. Please provide any additional information below. If this issue has been brought up I appologize but I would like to help out as best I can so this is my contribution as a beta tester.

5. Prem krishnan P says:

wow :)I tried to search with my voice in google its amazing :) Thanks for sharing the article. Now my search made really simple :)

6. Ivan says:

Nice feature. There is space to improve voice recnogition but it is really good