Yahoo! Deletes All Inactive Accounts: Grab Yahoo! Email ID You Always Wanted

By Posted 2013 Updated   Tips

Yahoo! is getting ready to delete inactive Yahoo! email accounts and you can grab your favorite Yahoo ID emails you always wanted. It is a fresh move to clear millions of inactive accounts in their database, especially since Yahoo! has been one of the earliest email services and many users might have moved to other popular email services like Gmail and Outlook.

I remember once earlier they had offered dot email addresses and popular aliases like ymail and rocketmail. Ymail was a popular take on Gmail and in fact it is still available.

Old Yahoo! ID Available

Email Account DeletedUsually when email accounts are disabled, the general public cannot re-register the account name, maybe because they want to preserve the history (for example like Google Inactive Account Manager), in case users decide to come back. Under the new Yahoo! services revamp, Yahoo! announced that after 15 July 2013, they will flush out all inactive user accounts which have not tracked a single login in the last 12 months – and make them available for the general public to register again.

This is a great opportunity to register your favorite Yahoo! ID which you always wanted and get an email like yourname@yahoo.com. This a good move by Yahoo! to attract new users and improve the numbers of their active users. Note that the Yahoo! ID not only gives you a cool new email ID, it lets your account nickname be used across the entire range of Yahoo! services like Flickr, News, Weather etc.

Will they release the accounts instantly? It seems they will collect all the requests and by Mid August will release the Yahoo! ID to the new owners.

In mid July, anyone can have a shot at scoring the Yahoo! ID they want. In mid August, users who staked a claim on certain IDs can come to Yahoo! to discover which one they got

For Inactive Yahoo! users

On the other hand, if you are an infrequent Yahoo! user, its a good idea to login to your account once, else Yahoo! will delete your account, and anyone can register it. And its not only your Yahoo! email which goes, its your access across all Yahoo! services. Login today.

For Email List Managers

Since millions of Yahoo! email addresses will be deleted, you should check your email subscriber lists as all these inactive Yahoo! emails will bounce. It also means you needs to monitor your email list closely after 15 July to look for such accounts and save money as most paid list managers charge for subscriber numbers. Also if your email feed subscriber counts drop … it should  not be surprising.

15 comments on “Yahoo! Deletes All Inactive Accounts: Grab Yahoo! Email ID You Always Wanted

1. World News says:

Yahoo is a nice email service, I use it from many years.

2. Hirok says:

Nice to know about this. I like to use yahoo email service though i prefer gmail more..

3. Christopher says:

I knew this was coming, but I hadn’t thought about how it was going to affect my email list, and how I could actually turn that around to lower my autoresponder bill. Good point! :)

4. Phil says:

Information I had not heard about, glad I found out as I have a Yahoo account. Coincidentaly I logged into it for thefirst time in over 8 months just two days ago. Glad I did, its useful to have another e-mail account I can actaully remember! Thanks for the heads up, i will remember to check in every so often now.

5. Pawan says:

Glad to know. I have to rush now to get my desired yahoo id if still available. Thanks.

6. Link Building Services says:

The news that you share with your post is very helpful for us. We are a SEO based company we need to some wanted mail id but we don’t get those. Now I think that we can fulfill our Client’s demand. Again many many thanks for sharing this post.

7. Ryan says:

I just checked a Yahoo email account I allowed to go stale and it was deleted. I was unable to recover.

8. piyush001 says:

i like G-Mail because its mail system is good and attractive than yahoo.

9. Shawn Gossman says:

I cannot remember the last time that I had a Yahoo! email account. As much as I don’t need anymore email accounts, I may have to find me a good one and use it for something here and there. Thanks for the update on this! :)

10. Sophia says:

I like yahoo! it’s one of the oldest e-mail services. It changed the way e-mails were sent and received. But now G-mail has taken over all the e-mail services and is ruling over the electronic mailing world. I believe yahoo has taken a good step to come back in the race….

11. Lalitha says:

Good step by yahoo..New email id users can now keep their id according to the name they wanted..

12. Sid @ The Webinstitute says:

Good to know some user names will be available. Makes sense to remove inactive accounts!

13. Siddhartha Sinha says:

This is new information for me all the inactive accounts has been deleted by Yahoo and now I could grab my Yahoo Email of my own choice.

Thanks for posting informative article.

14. Best E Learning says:

I am safe.. my old id is live still now.. good news update.. thanks..

15. Lisa Merchant says:

Don’t like Yahoo! very much, but I must say that it’s a great thing what they’re doing right now – this will make everyone’s lives easier when it comes to creating a new account..It might sometimes get really annoying, knowing that all the desired ID’s are already taken and looking for an available one..