5 Easy Steps for Better Domain Name Security

Securing your domain name is very essential. Don’t let someone steal and transfer your domain name without your knowledge. You will be surprised how many people are complaining of stolen domain names, and it happens every day! Here are some simple steps to keep your domain name safe.

1. Lock Domain

Domain locking is the most first basic step to domain name security. Once you lock the domain names, they cannot be transferred till you decide to unlock them. Unlock domain name only before you want to actually transfer them. Your domain name might not be locked by default and you need to check this.

domain lock

Always remember to turn on Domain locking.

domain lock on

2. Two-step verification

Its simple to set up and those few minutes of extra effort ensure that your domain name stays secure. Any unauthorized changes will send information via email/phone and you can stop the hackers  in their tracks. [Similar to Gmail 2 step verification]

godaddy 2step verification

3. Update registrant details

A very common problem that does not allow the registrar to contact you in case of fraud domain name transfers. We keep on registering domain names, and many times we fail to check the contact details. Wrong emails can prevent you from stopping the domain name transfer. See what happened to 9Rules!

4. Whois privacy

Always opt for private registration, which protects your personal details like name, email, address, phone from the public domain. The more people know about the registrant details, the easier it is for them to track and change it. Private registration comes for a fee but is totally worth the money. Sometimes free domain privacy is available as in Google Domains.

private registration

5. Autorenew Domains

You will be surprised how quickly the year passes, and your domain name has expired. Always set the domain to auto-renew, this will at least ensure continuity of your domain name ownership. Before renewing, any domain name registrars do send out an email to renew.

autorenew domains

It is even better to register the domain for many years (we booked this site for 10 years!) if you really want to keep the domain name. See when Google.com domain was up for sale for $12 only!

75 comments on “5 Easy Steps for Better Domain Name Security

1. panneer says:

By sharing, suggestions to ensure tomorrow is my domain locked to ensure safety.

2. samantaray says:

I say one think you must choose the right top level domain

3. Jessica Gill says:

Thank you for the really quality tips for domain name security. That time security is a serious concern. Your tips really help me.

4. Paul says:

Such an interesting article. It helps me to to get more knowledge about how to secure the domain of my websites. Thank you for sharing.

5. Kavita Mevada says:

That’s great idea. It will more helpful us at the time of domain name for security purpose. You can explain it with proper snapshot. Great work.
    check our websites for current news update

6. Pradeep Mishra says:

Thank you very much for this post. Go daddy is the best place for booking & get hosting at Reasonable price .

7. Asif khan says:

Excellent yet effective tips. Security is a very important matter domain name. I’ve been waiting for this kind of tips. Thank you for sharing important tips.

8. Sambhaji says:

Hi P Chandra,

I have a website but i am not aware of domain name security issue, but this information help me a lot to secure my domain name.

9. Razzak Ahmed says:

Thank you for this describe. This post help me to secure my domain.

10. Kuldeep says:

Securing the domain name is must these days. And the tips shared by you are really good to secure the domain.
    Thanks for this share.

11. vicky says:

Now you can download Microsoft Office for iPad and open Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Onenote files for free in iPad. This is for the first time …

12. Alex Powel says:

Hi!! Great article on domain name security. This will help me alot to secure my domain.
    Thanks for sharing.

13. vicky says:

Domain locking is probably the most first primary step to area identify safety. When you lock the domains, they can’t be transferred until you

14. Razzak Ahmed says:

Thanks for this post dear, My many websites hacked past few months. this post really usefull for me to secure my hosting and website.

15. Harish Negi says:

Best article of the day for Me. Surely going to secure my domain today by following your steps. Its been 2 years in blogging, never had a article on securing domain, like that.

16. Pragati Udyog says:

Thank you for sharing such an informative article about the domain security. This will help me in protecting domain.

17. John Bluedart says:

Here you discussed a serious issue.After reading your article i locked my domain and opt Auto renew option.Thank you for valuable information.

18. abasa says:

I had this happen to me a few years ago with a blog i was running, i was gutted! some people are just wrong!

19. Manish Dwivedi says:

Great, its really nice article to protect our domain some fraud/cheaters who try to use our domain without our permission. This will surely help us by real means.

Thanks!
    Sell used bikes in Kochi

20. Jennifer Jones says:

Hacking is now getting a trend. Thanks for providing the valuable ideas to lock the domain. I will try these tips for my website.

21. lvywarner says:

Wow! great tips to secure the domain. Auto renewal is must I think. Thanks

22. charan says:

Thanks mate! now i got a clear picture how important the domain name security. My domain and hosting with godaddy, Now after leaving this comment am jumping to login to my godaddy account and will lock my domain name mate. Once again thanks.

23. sinwax says:

Domain Locking is by far the most powerful feature to ensure that no one can make any changes to your domain name without your express approval.Domain locking is better text message by your mobile phone.

24. Rajpal Singh says:

I always use two step verification whenever its available.

25. giri says:

That the domain name is important. it includes at key words the seo process can be fulfil of your own business. thus the site should be improve it

26. Yasir abbas says:

Security of domain names are very important for every business. Thanks to share these useful steps.

27. Mark says:

It’s happened to me! I forgot to renew the domain of a project and it ended up expiring. I was lucky enough to notice a few days later and managed to retrieve it, after many emails and conversation with the registrar. After that I called the automatic renewal and I do not worry about it anymore.

28. Kishor Lavania says:

For a website domain name is very essential part and its protection is always must. We should make sure always that no one can steal it without your permission. So thanks for post a very important blog here.

29. John Dough says:

Nice post, Chandra. You’ve compiled key points on protecting domain names. I’m not a fan of the 2-step verification, though.

30. Pankaj says:

Thanks mate!

For sharing this important information..I will surely follow and make my domain more secure.

keep it up!!