5 Easy Steps for Better Domain Name Security

By 12-11-2015   Domain HostingSecurityTutorials
Tweet Share Email Share

Securing your domain name is very essential. Don’t let someone steal and transfer your domain name without your knowledge. You will be surprised how many people are complaining of stolen domain names, and it happens everyday! Here are some simple steps to keep your domain name safe.

1. Lock Domain

Domain locking is the most first basic step to domain name security. Once you lock the domain names, they cannot be transferred till you decide to unlock them. Unlock domain name only before you want to actually transfer them. Your domain name might not be locked by default and you need to check this.

domain lock

Advertisements

Always remember to turn on Domain locking.

domain lock on

2. Two step verification

Its simple to set up and those few minutes of extra effort ensures that your domain name stays secure. Any unauthorized changes will send information via email/phone and you can stop the hackers  in their tracks. [Similar to Gmail 2 step verification]

godaddy 2step verification

3. Update registrant details

A very common problem which does not allow the registrar contact you in case of fraud domain name transfers. We keep on registering domain names, and many times we fail to check the contact details. Wrong emails can prevent you from stopping domain name transfer. See what happened to 9Rules!

4. Whois privacy

Always opt for private registration, which protects your personal details like name, email, address, phone from the public domain. The more people now about the registrant details, the more easy it is for them to track and change it. Private registration comes for a fee, but is totally worth the money. Sometimes free domain privacy is available as in Google Domains.

private registration

5. Autorenew Domains

You will be surprised how quickly the year passes, and your domain name has expired. Always set the domain to autorenew, this will at least ensure continuity of your domain name ownership. Before renewing, any domain name registrars do sent out an email to renew.

autorenew domains

It is even better to register domain for many years (we booked this site for 10 years!) if you really want to keep the domain name. See when Google.com domain was up for sale for $12 only!

31 comments on “5 Easy Steps for Better Domain Name Security

1. Liam cobb says:

Hello,

I had this happen to me a few years ago with a blog i was running, i was gutted! some people are just wrong! i always make sure i auto renew all of my domains but i had know idea that i could lock my domain? (pretty stupid of me i know) so many thanks for the tip i will lock them all now!

thanks for the info, Liam

2. Thank you for your blog since it gives me additional guidance and information on how to do in order for us not be cheated by someone who wants to steal our domain without any permission from us.

3. thank you for guidence now i will make my domain locked to make sure for the security, thanks you so much bro

4. vikash kumar says:

sir, Thanks for such an in depth article. Recently I have started my first blog and I will definitely use all these tips you mentioned.

5. Agnes A says:

Nice post! Actually we should always lock up our domains for safety. Cause hackers are always trying to get anything they can get their hands on. Also it’s better if we use the whois privacy on so they can’t get the information and use a different email other than the regular one we normally use. Thanks

6. Bharat says:

Thanks for your guidance. I’ll follow your tips.

7. Harish says:

Wow! great tips to secure the domain. Auto renewal is must I think. Thanks

8. Chris says:

Great Post !
    actually domain locking is the best way to safe your domain to be transfered to other account, everyone should lock their domain until you want to move to other account

Thanks

9. Rahul says:

sir, Thanks for such an in depth article. I have started my first blog and it will definitely useful for me thanks for sharing this kind of blog.

10. Thank you sharing your point of view regarding domain security.Those who do not have the idea about the domain security this post will be very effective for them.

11. Anand Mishra says:

I appreciate everything you have added to my knowledge base. Admiring the time and effort you put into your blog and detailed information you offer.

12. Thank you very much for this helpful post..
    Award Winning Website Design and Development services in Pune. Check out our extensive portfolio and contact us today for a free quote.

13. Dan Neamtu says:

Security is very important for clients, thank you for sharing this advices.

14. Domain name security is very important. The five tips for domain security is very crucial for saving domain information.

15. Karen says:

I had a feeling domain names could be stolen, but since each of us is equally vulnerable, figured it didn’t happen. Thank you for your post and helpful advice.

16. Jey Ganesh says:

domain locking and Auto renewal is most important for every domain to secure. Thanks for provide this useful information, this will be really helpful for newbie bloggers.

17. Usman says:

18. Domain Locking is by far the most powerful feature to ensure that no one can make any changes to your domain name without your express approval. Most registrars offer Domain Locking feature to customers whereby you may place a lock on your domain name. Once a domain name is locked, no modifications can be made to the domain by anyone. The domain name may not even be transferred to another registrar. The domain will remain in a locked status until you choose to remove the lock.
    The key in domain name registration privacy is to do it with a reputable company that has a good reputation in keeping registrar’s details private. Do not be fooled by what you read on their advertisement pages or on what these domain registrars are promising. Make a lot of researches before you decide on which company you will register your domain names.

19. Rahul says:

Hacking is a serious facing by the modern Business world.Now lot of hacking personalities try to attack many reputed companies websites without any specific reason.So we should take correct steps to eliminate Hacking.Your article helped me to know more about security steps.

20. thanks for your guidance and valuable tips. I will lock my domain using these tips

21. arta griya says:

thanks for open my eyes with your article i will lock up my domain from now and then

22. Adam says:

Goods tips, but you need to keep an eye out for fake emails, they are the sole reason for domain “hacks”.

23. Mario Nimal says:

Domain name security is actually very important especially if you’re a big business. I didn’t know that there was an auto-renew feature though, so thanks a bunch for pointing that one out.

24. Thank you very much for this post…it is indeed a helpful post. I will use this your tips to lock my domain

25. Linda Nelson says:

That’s great idea. It will more helpful us at the time of domain name for security purpose. You can explain it with proper snapshot. Great work.

26. Timara Hikum says:

love the way you provide the benefits of better domain name security. Now in future i will always keep in mind use the above mentioned criteria to upheld the level of my website. Its getting more and more impulsive for the website designers like me.

27. iwan fals says:

28. I have two websites .but i don’t know more about domain security.This post helped me to Secure my domain.Government should give more punishment to IT criminals.

29. Razzak Ahmed says:

Thanks for this post dear, My many websites hacked past few months. this post really usefull for me to secure my hosting and website.

30. Harish Negi says:

Best article of the day for Me. Surely going to secure my domain today by following your steps. Its been 2 years in blogging, never had a article on securing domain, like that.

31. charan says:

Thanks mate! now i got a clear picture how important the domain name security. My domain and hosting with godaddy, Now after leaving this comment am jumping to login to my godaddy account and will lock my domain name mate. Once again thanks.