iPhone Update Fixes Dropped Calls, Poor Call Quality

By Posted 2008 Updated   AppleGadgets

Many iPhone 3G users often complained of dropped calls and poor call quality, but the iPhone 2.0.2 software update promises to fix all those issues, provided you decide to update…

RoughlyDrafted has information that the iPhone 2.0.2 update fixed power control on the mobile” and also explains why the update improves communication with 3G networks.

It is not the network that is fault but the interaction of the bad power control algorithm in 2.0 and 2.0.1 software and the network that is at fault. The sooner everybody is running 2.0.2 software the better things will be. Having seen the graphs the 2.0.2 software has already started to make difference.

Crunchgear explains it in simpler terms

“The update controlled the UMTS power control in the phone. Each iPhone requires a small amount of power from the transmitter and that power is requested by the phone itself. If too many phones ask for too much power at once, the transmitter starts shutting down, resulting in dropped calls. The iPhone 3G was asking for too much power and, in 2.0.2, has been fixed to stop requesting that power so often.”

So the best way to fix your iPhone connectivity problems is to get the iPhone 2.0.2 software update today. To get the free 2.0 Software Update, just connect your iPhone to your Mac or PC and click Check for Update in iTunes. The free iPhone 2.0.2 Software Update has extend capabilities that make your iPhone more useful.

15 comments on “iPhone Update Fixes Dropped Calls, Poor Call Quality

1. Ted Stein says:

I get no-to-lousy reception where I live even though AT&T claims that the area in which I live as great reception. But, when I put my iphone in its “sync cradle” whether or not the cradle is connected to m computer service information goes from “no service” to full service. I called Apple tech support about this and visited an Apple service center and non one has any explanation (I think that the service people don’t believe me). Love to know what is going on.

2. Smitty says:

i have the same problem they said same thing to me “you have a tower 2 miles from ya” but still i have 1 to 0 bars at my house… hmmmmm

3. Charles says:

I know a number of people who have updated to 2.0.2 and still get dropped calls or slow/no data connections here in Portland, OR. I’m not worried about how many bars I have, I just want to be able to maintain a connection while on the 3G network and 2.0.2 isn’t any better.

4. David says:

I have updated to version 2.1 and continue to have problems with all calls dropped when calling from my home. My bars fluctuate wildly with no movement in my location. I live in Phoenix near the intersection of two major freeways and am shown to have excellent coverage on the AT&T maps. Works great for everything except making and receiving phone calls. Even drops calls to voicemail.

5. Geoff says:

I updated to the latest iPhone 3G software, etc. and was still having problems, but noticed that the dropped calls were sporadic depending on where I was. At home (Denver suburb) I would still drop calls regularly, but in other locations things were fine. After checking with AT&T, it seemed as if the phone was switching between the 3G and EDGE network. We seem to live in an area where AT&Ts 3G network is still being ramped up. Anyway, going into settings on the phone, and turning off 3G seems to have fixed the alternating between networks, and thus, has fixed the call dropping significantly.

6. Ben Strackany says:

I’m also in Portland & so far the call quality on my iPhone is horrible in both directions. People can hear the background far better than they can hear me…maybe I need to stand 10 feet away from the phone? Quality is a little better on 3G, but then service is super spotty. I’ll try exchanging it for another iPhone, but if it stays bad, I’ll probably cancel for now. I don’t want to have to use a handset to make decent calls.

7. Ben Strackany says:

Er, headset.

8. Chokri says:

I get 100% dropped calls with version 2.1 the newest. This is a disaster ! It is very unfortunate,
    I am about to return this phone !

9. Dayl Armstrong says:

Here in Canada – had to replace the first iphone 3G because 50% of all calls were failing – not acceptable! Now the replacement phone is dropping calls! All I want is a dependable phone and it appears Apple isn’t able to deliver that yet.

10. Ross says:

I had Verizon phones for about 10 years and can remember dropping 1 or 2 calls in total. Since I got my iPhone and AT&T about 1.5 months ago, I’ve been dropping like crazy!

Two days ago, a customer with a blocked number was placing an order with me when the call dropped. The order wasn’t completed. That one drop cost me in the neighborhood of $60. Hopefully, she’ll call back soon. :(

After reading the comments, I tried switching off 3G. My bars went from 1.5 to 4 just sitting in my chair. Can’t wait to see if the drops slow down.

11. Frank says:

Yeah, bought an IPHONE after 13 years with Verizon here in SoCal. It has been dropping calls like crazy…even WITH the latest software. Never a problem with Verizon. I’ve had to turn off 3G and now the problem has gone away. It seems it just drops the call (as well as kills my bluetooth!)anytime it needs to go back to the Edge Network from 3G. It’s absolutely lame that NOONE at AT&T OR the APPLE STORE can offer assistance on this matter. Instead, I have to keep wasting my time on blog sites to try to figure out why the most expensive cell phone on the market can’t work without dropping calls. Lame.

12. pavlis says:

the worst phone i ever have ex windows mobile user
    to much marketing that is a great phone but for me the worst phone i ever had
    in cyprus the drop calls is 20calls and the answer or replace it or upgrade soon with the 3 version if the problems keep going and the phone will go to

13. Kimberly says:

I have dropped calls everyday with my I phone. It is very depressing that you loose calls everyday, sometimes with the same person on the line. I love my I phone but come on Apple….Do Something

14. Andreas says:

I have a similar problem. Searched the net but still no solution.

I have a 2G iphone with firmware 1.1.4 and I recently upgraded it to OS 3.0.

I can send messages, receive messages, make outgoing calls but i CAN’T RECEIVE CALLS.

I restored it more than 6 times, still nothing. I jail-broke it with redsnow 0.8.

When I restore it, I can get calls for few minutes (i checked it with my house phone) but after that it says something like ”the subscriber you called is unavailable”. It’s like my iphone is turned off which is not.

I noticed that if I change the status of Call Waiting to ON/OFF it can receive calls for a few minutes and then the problem reappears.

I am at dead end.

PS. I reboot it, restore it and still nothing.

15. M R says:

The IPHONE 4 is the worst cell phone I have ever owned for dropping calls. At work and home I never had a problem with my motorola, or blackberry. I will either switch to a Blackberry and stay ATT or try Verizon. You cannot get help from ATT or Apple and the update is not working. I was told this morning that there is a rubber band available now to put around the antenna that should make reception better…… I guess the IPHONE just needs a pig tail to make it perform…. who knows????? Anyone considering IPHONE 4 should re-consider…. take it from experience.