In my attempt to fix internal server errors, I went about looking for simple ways to find the php version which powers the wordpress installation on our web hosting server. Here is the small tip to do it easily.
- Create a new document in Notepad or any other text editor
- Type following with no spaces or lines above or below
- Save the file as checkversion.php or any other name you like, but should end with .php
- Upload using an FTP client to the root of your domain name where wordpress is hosted.
- Run http://yourdomain.com/checkversion.php in your browser
And a detailed page will reveal all the information about your PHP version and lots of technical details about your PHP core and server configuration which you never knew.