Airtel Launches 16 Mbps Fastest DSL Broadband in India

By Posted 2009 Updated   India

The broadband internet speeds are all set to rise for the Indian net surfer with Airtel announcing the availability of 16Mbps broadband, which now claims to be the fastest DSL broadband in the country.

Fastest DSL Broadband

Airtel has announced that Airtels Carrier Ethernet Network, will be initially available in the cities of Delhi NCR, Chennai and Bangalore with phased roll-out to additional cities of Hyderabad, Pune, Mumbai and Kolkata. Airtel delivers its broadband service through a fibre backbone of Carrier Ethernet Network with last mile delivery on copper using ADSL2+ technology, enabling ultra high-speed broadband which is scalable and affordable.

Airtel is offering 2 plans with 16 Mbps broadband
A. Speed Combo 2999 – 16 Mbps broadband speed with monthly data transfer limit of 20 GB for Rs. 2999 per month
B. Speed Combo 4999 – 16 Mbps broadband speed with monthly data transfer limit of 50 GB for Rs. 4999 per month

I always prefer unlimited data transfer limit broadband packages, even if the speed is a little slower as the monthly bill is fixed and there are no download limits whatsoever. Data transfer limits ensure that customers get charged for every MB download after the limit is over and can turn up a huge internet connection bill. I see the most practical package with Airtel is Value 1599 combo which provides 512Kbps speeds with unlimited data transfer for Rs 1599 only. See more Airtel plans.

How long will it take before 50Mbps broadband connections will become common, and more importantly affordable in India.

14 comments on “Airtel Launches 16 Mbps Fastest DSL Broadband in India

1. Ashfame says:

High Speed plans with download caps don’t make sense to me. They don’t make any difference in browsing speed, its the download speed that matters and if I have a cap on that, I would prefer a lower speed plan with unlimited usage. Would save me some bucks too. At present I download 10GB+ on my wireless connection in India and that just at 800bucks per month.

2. Impatientones says:

Hey sure the unlimited is good, but is it worth the wait for downloading? For those who hate to wait, Airtel has launched the ‘Impatient Ones’ campaign introducing the 16mbps speed. It talks about the virtue of impatience through the stories of three young achievers.

You could see more of the campaign on our website and micro sites.
    There is also a speed test on the website to check the speed of one’s broadband connection.

website: http://www.impatientones.com

3. R.Bhavesh says:

@Ashfame: the speed completely changes your surfing habit. For example, how many of us do visit youtube frequently? Rarely.. because we cant ‘experience’ videos as they keep buffering after every 3-5 seconds.

Needless to say, in such case.. no one would get ‘idea’ to start site like youtube.

Just my two cents.

4. tanzil says:

This boardband is not affordable one, means paying RS 2999 or RS 4999 per month is not at all affordable.
    THEY SHOULD BRING DOWN THE COST FOR SURE….. EVEN THE UNLIMITED PACKAGES IS NOT THE HAPPENING ONE, other companies give it in RS,800 for unlimeted download….. Airtel should reduce its cost to make it work for longer

5. gaurav says:

No Download limit makes more sense. I’d rather have 1mbps unlimited than 16mbps with 20GB limit. Currently I download about 3-40 GB on my 512Plan. At 16mbps, I’m sure I can easily do 20GB in 4 days. So what do I do after the limit expires? Also 2mbps connection is really fast. What is it that you can do at 16mbps that you can’t do at 2mbps?

6. chander says:

can you please send me a copy of windows genuine free of charge because I dont have the money to buy a windows genuine.I have been ripped off from the seller because I think he gave me a fake windows!!

7. amit says:

its not for common man becoz they can`t afford these plan …….better one is bsnl

8. Pranav says:

This is great but expensive!!!! This is something realy special from airtel as its now the fastest internet connection in india.

9. yo says:

they should make this plan unlimited at this price or atleast start giving 1,2 or 4 Mbps unlimited below 1000 Rs, limited data transfer plans r just a waste and r of no use to most of internet users, True broadband is only when there is no broadband cap and everything is unlimited, India still ranks 115th at internet speed and is far behind the developed world,shame on india, they should start giving high speed internet and stop giving limited plans,make it unlimited

10. Lucky says:

I am almost a net addict person and I love to download a LOT. When I was in US, we had 8 Mbps unlimited plan from Comcast and trust me it was awesome. In India, things always come with more of cons than pros. At the moment I have Sify 512 Kbps Night and 256 Kbps day. But, more is better always.. lol. Everything above 1 Mb (Reliance & Tata Indicom data cards), this Airtel BB… all have data transfer limits with them. Dont know when we will start getting things with NO LIMITS.

11. anymous says:

For streaming online hd videos 16mbps unlimited is required while for downloading large files 1-2gbps connection is required.

12. Gadget news says:

I think it is very good for both streaming videos and downloading large files..

13. Channing says:

There’re good news:

14. balaji says:

hi i see a add about the 16mbps aitel broadband but they limited upto 10gb. i think i use the 10gb in 4 to 5days but what i can do for the remaining days. i always use unlimited plans and 3.1mbps i think it is quiet sufficient for me it will take some time but i can download more and more and no way to fear my usage becomes low so i always use unlimited plans.