How can you boost wifi signal to increase wifi coverage in your home? The traditional answer would be to get a more powerful router which will have more range and higher wifi network coverage. But your home might have walls arrangements in such ways that there are dead zones which have poor or no wifi coverage.

I like to blog from different rooms, but encounter several spots where internet coverage is very poor. Even my mobile smartphone needs to keep switching between wifi and 3G inside my house, adding to higher mobile bills due to extra data usage.

I upgraded to a  16 Mbps internet Airtel connection,  got a better modem-router  (Belkin N300), tried various placements of the router and other ways to boost wifi signals, but the poor wifi zones persisted in some areas of my house.

And then I found the best way to increase my wifi network coverage  – buy a wifi range extender!

Wifi Range Extender

netgear wifi extender box

My new wifi range extender (Netgear WN3000RP) has ensured I can now get wifi coverage in every part of the house and even outside the house patio. What is does is it simply sources the wifi from the current wifi router and spreads it across its own coverage area, leading to almost doubling the coverage area.

Setup – Setting up networking devices always seems a hassle. But this one requires no CD/manual cable connection to set up. Just plug it into the socket (saves desk space), turn it on and it will catch the current wifi networks.

netgear wifi extenders

I then connected to this new network _EXT and it opens a Netgear site to configure the wifi extender. In a few clicks all done, without any CD, cables or messing with the original modem-router. Now next time you let your devices prefer this new wifi network instead of your original network when inside this coverage area.

Wifi speed – Note the speed is lesser than your original router. I get about 6-7 Mbps from the wifi extender while my original router gives 12 MBps.

Price – I bought it for about INR 3000 and was worth every single rupee. There are faster more expensive models also available, but this seems to be a good balance between price and coverage. There are many more brands to choose from and probably they would all work well for this purpose.

Publishing this post from outside my house through a wifi extender!

1. Kapil says:

16MBps – Airtel connection. WOW! you sure are lucky … If only I could move up the MTNL connection’s terrible speeds. And the limited wifi range only add more grief to my life.

I am sure if I added an extender on this speed I probably wont get anything for data transfer to happen.

Upgrading to a TP-Link Modem this week, let’s see how much does that help. My current D-Link barely gave any coverage.

2. Sahil Garg says:

hey this is Great Article Up there. Thanks for Sharing the article. i m Looking for Wifi Router, i satisfied with your article, gonna buy it online soon. :)

3. P. Chandra says:

Airtel offers many more faster broadband internet plans than MTNL. We pay for 16Mbps, but get a speed of 12Mbps as you need a fibre network to get those speeds upto 100Mbps and is available in only select areas they say.

Wifi extender is basically useful if you want to extend the range of wifi. It will work with any router to simply expand the coverage. I changed the Beetel 150 slow modems that came by default and used the Belkin N300 models for more coverage. You can choose N300 or higher N600 models for more speed and range. Choose a good brand like Netgear, D-link, Belkin etc.

4. P. Chandra says:

I bought this wifi extender on Flipkart. Check if you need Wifi router or modem-router. If you want to directly attach to the telephone line, you need a modem router.

5. Sravan says:

Wonderful +Chandra – I often face this problem, some times I need to go and sit near the window to get signal from different room, now I don’t need to do that – this Range extender helps me a lot. I was actually looking for apps in Android to increase the WiFi range, but this seems to be the best solution. Will grab one immediately from Flipkart.

6. Prazwal says:

I don’t use a WiFi extender but have a WiFi repeater that connects to my laptop and it works like charm. WiFi Range extender can also be a good choice for those that have multiple devices that access internet through same access point.

7. Mat says:

You should make a disclaimer about Latency. This works great for browsing the internet and heavily cached video, but for applications such as gaming (consoles, etc), it can sometimes add up to 100ms of latency depending on the quality and distance of the signal.

8. SUPer says:

I have an aluminum foil around my router! Not working :-)

9. Robert Smith says:

WiFi router is easy to access for laptop and PC, but sometimes the data missing is the main problem.
    Thanks for the article.

10. Ngan says:

Changed to a new design again? The top bar appears off on my ipad, i wont be surprised it is the same for all ios devices.

11. P. Chandra says:

I tried those foils once to block signals on one side, but it does not add much to the signal strength.

12. P. Chandra says:

Latency is a good point, and will check that.

13. Manish says:

Amazing information and thank you very much for sharing it with your readers, All the points that you mentioned and whole well written article are very full with value. Thanks for sharing them with your readers.

14. buysstore says:

wow, simply wow to the new invention of science. great invention

15. Wifi extender is basically useful if you want to extend the range of wifi. It will work with any router to simply expand the coverage. I changed the Beetel 150 slow modems that came by default and used the Belkin N300 models for more coverage. Thanks

16. Relay a great article. It’s working……..

17. Ian Kerwin says:

The technology like wifi has made the today’s life soooo easy. You can share every thing with anyone very easily. Overall thank you for sharing such an informative post. i like these type of posts very much. :)

18. Sounds great. shall try it. did you buy this at nehru place?

19. P. Chandra says:

Bought it from Flipkart. Good to see you around this site after a long time. :-)

20. Now this is awesome, i usually encounter low or poor wifi signal when i leave my room and i always find it hard using my tablet on wifi when am out of range. This tutorial will definitely help me improve my wifi range at home so i can enjoy using my tablet or mobile phone even when am out of my room.

With Wifi Range Extender i can now enjoy wireless network at a further distance than the normal range and the best part is that it is also fast with good signal. I will review this product to see if i can acquire it. Thanks for sharing on

21. vipin singh says:

No Wi-Fi connection At home i m Only User WI-Fi Hotspot with My smartphone. (*,*)

22. iSolve says:

wi fi extender is really a nice instrument since i hold one at my home i know how far it is useful

23. shivankar says:

nice 16MBPS your so luck here higest speed is 2MBPS so we don’t need it :-) but a very thanks for share this information with us

24. Ankit Sharma says:

Great, This absolutely fine.

25. creation says:

I too have a similar configuration and my internet is working very well but, recently i diagnosed my internet connection and I found this works great for browsing the internet and heavily cached video, but for applications such as gaming (consoles, etc), it can sometimes add up to 100ms of latency depending on the quality and distance of the signal.
    But I would still recommend this over normal connection which as far more limited range.

26. Shriwal says:

This is great, thank you for sharing. This is quite important for my site. I really believe in your tips and I get many ideas for site of mine.
    I was just searching for this and what do you know it came up in my feader just then :-)

27. Really fabulous post. I learnt a lot by reading this awesome post.

Thanks for sharing

28. TravelCarma says:

Wifi extender will turn your dead zones into fun zones. NETGEAR WiFi range extenders help you keep mobile devices, media players and computers connected to WiFi with a reliable connection and expanded coverage in every corner of your home. I can now take my notebook anywhere in my house and use it with no problems.

29. sneharoy says:

hi thanks for this post well i have tried so much to increase range but never suceeded

30. dvd swap says:

I have no wifi connection. But This is very helfull for all internet user.specilly thanks P. CHANDRA . Cause I have learn many By this Article.

31. Just a week back my dad was asking me to look for a Wi Fi extender as the wifi network in my room does not reach his room. This guide will help me make a devision quickly. Thannks!

32. Aamir Lehri says:

Thanks for sharing this article really helped me in increasing my Wifi Signals range :)

33. Wow! never knew about this. Even I’ve been struggling with the wi-fi range at my home. Thanks for sharing this. A really good tip.

34. Thanks for your tips. i have wifi connection in my home but speed is very slow, after apply your tips it works and my wifi speed is going up. thanks again

35. Xi says:

I never knew you could increase your wifi range until I landed up here. That’s superb post to be shared. I am surely going to try this with router at my place. This is simple awesome.

36. Raviraj says:

U just heard my prayer :D
    I was searching for something which increases my wifi range, trying this now … Lets see what happens!!

37. Aditya NIMS says:

There are still some routers that don’t have WPS. Also Reaver doesnt work on all routers that have WPS disabled. You need to try it out. Also I have seen a few routers that limit the number of WPS attempts.

38. Kyle B. says:

Currently my router is downstairs in my house and upstairs my phone has a hard time connecting, if I were to get this extender would I plug it in upstairs in the room I wish to get better WiFi or does it work better if plugged in near the router?

39. joseph101 says:

very costly but i will give it a try… Thanks for sharing this.. :-)

40. I hope with this tips, I will improve my wifi range easily.

41. P. Chandra says:

Totally worth the money. Believe me.

42. Zaman says:

Cool share dude. I need to extend the Wifi of my Netgear router to another floor as the router signals do not work in the upper floors of my house. Have you tested the extender in trying to extend the range to a different floor of your house. Does that work out or it is limited to the same horizontal level only.

43. Great…it’s Really Working. Thank you very much for Sharing.

44. Johnpeter says:

It will work with any router to simply expand the coverage.

45. robertzevs says:

You may also try Nano Station m2 from ubiquiti products. It has a power of 1Watt enough to cover, up to 500 meter radius.

46. shelly says:

cool post keep posting

47. Delly Belly says:

how can i hack my neighbor’s WiFi security password…

48. munna says:

THANKS so much for this post. My university gives me wifi but it ranges is off my residential hall. So if I use this extender will I be able to catch the wifi signal when only one or two bars of network is shown originally?

49. alan johnson says:

great – just bought an extender ,problem solved

50. Rajat Sharma says:

This is a unique and superb idea and really I have heard for the first time about these type of gadgets. Hey Can we use this into our hostel room to boost up the signal of college router???

51. I Think Tp-Link Router is best for Throw wifi Signal Strongly. Thanks.

52. Paul Davis says:

Thanks for sharing this post. I can’t tell you just how many times my wi-fi signal has dropped at home. I’m definitely going to use the tips you have provided in this article!

53. Edgars says:

Extend your neighbours wifi ))) great idea )

54. sandybrown says:

wow this is a great Wifi system.what is the price???

55. Muminur says:

Thank you for this article. But can I use for far distance? My university wifi is 100m away from my room. Can I use this to get the wifi signal?

56. Dhruv says:

Amazing tool. Help in extending my PG internet signals. Thanks..

57. I thought there’s a DIY hack to that. But oh well, thanks for sharing.