Best Way to Increase Wifi Range at Home

By 24-01-2014   Gadgets

How can you boost wifi signal to increase wifi coverage in your home? The traditional answer would be to get a more powerful router which will have more range and higher wifi network coverage. But your home might have walls arrangements in such ways that there are dead zones which have poor or no wifi coverage.

I like to blog from different rooms, but encounter several spots where internet coverage is very poor. Even my mobile smartphone needs to keep switching between wifi and 3G inside my house, adding to higher mobile bills due to extra data usage.

I upgraded to a  16 Mbps internet Airtel connection,  got a better modem-router  (Belkin N300), tried various placements of the router and other ways to boost wifi signals, but the poor wifi zones persisted in some areas of my house.

And then I found the best way to increase my wifi network coverage  – buy a wifi range extender!

Wifi Range Extender

netgear wifi extender box

My new wifi range extender (Netgear WN3000RP) has ensured I can now get wifi coverage in every part of the house and even outside the house patio. What is does is it simply sources the wifi from the current wifi router and spreads it across its own coverage area, leading to almost doubling the coverage area.

Setup – Setting up networking devices always seems a hassle. But this one requires no CD/manual cable connection to set up. Just plug it into the socket (saves desk space), turn it on and it will catch the current wifi networks.

netgear wifi extenders

I then connected to this new network _EXT and it opens a Netgear site mywifiext.com to configure the wifi extender. In a few clicks all done, without any CD, cables or messing with the original modem-router. Now next time you let your devices prefer this new wifi network instead of your original network when inside this coverage area.

Wifi speed – Note the speed is lesser than your original router. I get about 6-7 Mbps from the wifi extender while my original router gives 12 MBps.

Price – I bought it for about INR 3000 and was worth every single rupee. There are faster more expensive models also available, but this seems to be a good balance between price and coverage. There are many more brands to choose from and probably they would all work well for this purpose.

Publishing this post from outside my house through a wifi extender!

52 comments on “Best Way to Increase Wifi Range at Home

1. Kapil says:

16MBps – Airtel connection. WOW! you sure are lucky … If only I could move up the MTNL connection’s terrible speeds. And the limited wifi range only add more grief to my life.

I am sure if I added an extender on this speed I probably wont get anything for data transfer to happen.

Upgrading to a TP-Link Modem this week, let’s see how much does that help. My current D-Link barely gave any coverage.

• P. Chandra says:

Airtel offers many more faster broadband internet plans than MTNL. We pay for 16Mbps, but get a speed of 12Mbps as you need a fibre network to get those speeds upto 100Mbps and is available in only select areas they say.

Wifi extender is basically useful if you want to extend the range of wifi. It will work with any router to simply expand the coverage. I changed the Beetel 150 slow modems that came by default and used the Belkin N300 models for more coverage. You can choose N300 or higher N600 models for more speed and range. Choose a good brand like Netgear, D-link, Belkin etc.

2. Sahil Garg says:

hey this is Great Article Up there. Thanks for Sharing the article. i m Looking for Wifi Router, i satisfied with your article, gonna buy it online soon. :)

• P. Chandra says:

I bought this wifi extender on Flipkart. Check if you need Wifi router or modem-router. If you want to directly attach to the telephone line, you need a modem router.

3. Sravan says:

Wonderful +Chandra – I often face this problem, some times I need to go and sit near the window to get signal from different room, now I don’t need to do that – this Range extender helps me a lot. I was actually looking for apps in Android to increase the WiFi range, but this seems to be the best solution. Will grab one immediately from Flipkart.

4. Prazwal says:

I don’t use a WiFi extender but have a WiFi repeater that connects to my laptop and it works like charm. WiFi Range extender can also be a good choice for those that have multiple devices that access internet through same access point.

5. Mat says:

You should make a disclaimer about Latency. This works great for browsing the internet and heavily cached video, but for applications such as gaming (consoles, etc), it can sometimes add up to 100ms of latency depending on the quality and distance of the signal.

6. SUPer says:

I have an aluminum foil around my router! Not working :-)

• P. Chandra says:

I tried those foils once to block signals on one side, but it does not add much to the signal strength.

7. Robert Smith says:

WiFi router is easy to access for laptop and PC, but sometimes the data missing is the main problem.
    Thanks for the article.

8. Ngan says:

Changed to a new design again? The top bar appears off on my ipad, i wont be surprised it is the same for all ios devices.

9. Manish says:

Amazing information and thank you very much for sharing it with your readers, All the points that you mentioned and whole well written article are very full with value. Thanks for sharing them with your readers.

10. buysstore says:

wow, simply wow to the new invention of science. great invention