Download Best Free Antivirus Softwares

My geek friend scared by the recent outbreaks of Kamasutra virus and Leap-A virus gave me a call that his Norton Antivirus subscription has expired and he can no longer update virus definitions via Live Update. And he did not want to pay for expensive antivirus subscriptions yearly.

There are several excellent paid professional antivirus software like Norton Antivirus, McAfee, but they are expensive software and require yearly subscription fees for regular antivirus updates. So I went looking for free antivirus softwares and was surprised to see the range available.

Free antivirus software

After reading several reviews by leading security web sites and forums, there seems to be a consensus that the 2 best free antivirus softwares in the market are AVG Anti-virus Free for Windows (a free anti-virus protection tool developed by Grisoft for home use) and the Avast Home Edition (a full-featured antivirus package designed exclusively for home users and non-commercial use). The limitation with Avast is that it will work for 60 days after installation in demo mode, then you need to re-register every year to obtain a free license key by email that is valid for 1 year.

Other popular security solutions are AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic (for Protection and security against viruses, worms, Trojan horses and dialers) and BitDefender Free Edition (an on-demand virus scanner, useful in a system recovery or forensics role)

Long back, PCWorld has compared these free antivirus protection software. WebHostingTalk shows that AVG Free Edition is the best (though the voter base is small).

67 comments on “Download Best Free Antivirus Softwares

1. SWC says:

PC World does seem to think differently about free anti-virus programs, but I’ve still used AVG most of my computer life. However, I’m now using the Windows OneCare.

2. anusharaji says:

i was one of early users of AVG n just now installed AVG in my new hd n came across this post
    AVG is my fav n never found any alerts thru stringer but worth dln

3. Anonymous says:

For those who are looking for freeware antivirus, I would Avast Home Edition. It has amazingly small (and almost daily) online updates, has a very good detection engine, and its resident shield is extremely effective against spurious sites and malware.

AVG is another excellent alternative. It has a easier interface than Avast, but I think its detection rate needs a bit of improvement. I would say that it can be useful as a secondary antivirus package on a home system.

McAfee Stinger & Avast Cleaner are useful in case of new virus/worm outbreaks.

4. Kapil says:

I have been using Avast for about 2 years now and I think I have been protected most of the time. But that’s also because I am a very alert user. But I think Avast also uses less of the system resources as compared to a Norton.

5. Steve says:

I’ve been using Avast for 2 years now, I work in the computer industry and I think its a great product. it uses a far smaller footprint than the bloatware that is Symantec and Mcafee. You hardly even notice its there running all the time, uses very little CPU, some of the big boys should look at how efficient this product has been written. We’re currently considering throwing out Symantec in favour of the Avast Enterprise Edition for servers.

6. heikal huzaimy says:

now i’m using the kaspersky anti virus and i found that anti virus is awesome compare to the others

7. Rodwan says:

I’v been using Avast anti-virus for 2 years now and think it’s quite effective and takes up very little resources, it is excellent in detecting viruses but bad at repairng them.

8. hunter says:

i’ve been using avast for nearly 2 years now and have had no problems with it infact i favour avast over kaspersky or any other antivirus that i have used so far and i think that symantec and mcafee have alot to learn from these guys even kaspersky in one sense as well as i have tried these for a year or more each and have only really been impressed with avast over the others

9. ezat says:

I think that your web site is very important for all people all over the world

10. reshadat says:

I would recommend avast home edition or nod32.they are good and does not slow down the system!

11. Joshua says:

i have been using avast also for 1 year and I think it’s the most easiest and reliable antivirus.

12. Dr. Adiel Marakeed Adikeus says:

I think it is a nice piece of software but still leaves something to be desired. It’s detection rate is less than 90% compared to 95%+ for Antivir. All of the fancy bells and whistles mean very little if it lags behind in its most basic function of catching all of the viruses. If Alwil could bump up the detection rate to compare to Antivir, then it would be the top pick. Otherwise, if what’s most important to you is that the *ANITVIRUS* software catches the most viruses, then go with Antivir. The only thing that really sucks about Antivir is that it force feeds you ads for the company’s product line when it does an update. You can firewall block the ad sites, but then antivir throws you an error message.

13. Carsy says:

i wait to see this antivirus

14. shashi katiyar says:

please permitted to free download to antivirus in my pc.

thanks

15. aminpoor says:

16. rafi says:

i want best free antivirus of yearly version

17. a user says:

Norton and Kapspesky are very slow.
    AVG detects only few viruses – and it cannot heal.
    AVG antispyware is really great.
    PC tools antivirus and avesth are good for nothing.
    C.O.M.O.D.O detected and killed the microsoftpowerpoint.exe virus at the time of its entry into my computer. But it talks too much.
    AVIRA kills many of your useful .exe programs without much prick of conscience.
    – a user

18. annie says:

kaspersky acts as big brother – it will not allow any other antivirus or antispyware. Avoid it.
    AVG antispyware detects and kills spies.
    C.O.M.D.O looks great – dont know how good it is.
    Superantispyware works only once.
    annie

19. Pramod says:

hi all,
    i used many of the antivirus programmes. But most of the antivirus programmes u will get it as free. but very few functions wont be there.u will get McAfee from from here. http://daol.aol.com/software. u will get norton free from here.http://pack.google.com. when u use a crack key for antivirus programme, the problem is that it wont get updated.

20. Pramod says:

hi
    another thing is that u can use windows starter kit from http://www.download.com. I think that includes all the essential security tools. much better one.