Top Google April Fools Day Pranks

I warned you that April Fool pranks will rule the day today, and as usual Google was out with some new very amazing pranks which confused one and all… and they could actually be possible one day.

Google Wake Up Kit
A new type of notification from Google Calendar, that is relentless in ensuring your timely awakening from restful sleep.

The “wake up” notification uses several progressively more annoying alerts to wake you up. First it will send an SMS message to your phone. If that fails, more coercive means will be used. The kit includes an industrial-sized bucket and is designed to be connected to your water main for automatic filling. In addition, a bed-flipping device is included for forceful removal from your sleeping quarters

Project Virgle
Virgle, Inc. is a joint venture between the Virgin Group and Google which aims to establish the first permanent human colony on Mars. Read more about how to become a Virgle Pioneer.

In the years to come, we’ll be sending up a series of spaceships carrying (along with the supplies and tools needed to build the new colony) what eventually will be hundreds of Mars colonists, or Virgle Pioneers — myself among them.

Gmail Custom Time
Just click “Set custom time” from the Compose view. Any email you send to the past appears in the proper chronological order in your recipient’s inbox. You can send email back until April 1, 2004, the day we launched Gmail. Now you can send backdated missed birthday greetings.

Google gDay
Google Australia has introduced a new feature, enabling you to search content on the internet before it is created. gDay is powered by MATE™ (Machine Automated Temporal Extrapolation).

Google spiders crawl publicly available web information and our index of historic, cached web content. Using a mashup of numerous factors such as recurrence plots, fuzzy measure analysis, online betting odds and the weather forecast from the iGoogle weather gadget, we can create a sophisticated model of what the internet will look like 24 hours from now.

Google Adsense for Conversations
AdSense for conversations will begin displaying ads that are relevant to the topics you’re discussing in an unobtrusive screen above your head.

Anyone taking part in the conversation can hit the ad with their hand to immediately take advantage of the product or service being offered. With our new Teleportation Technology(TM), you’ll be transported directly to the site where the service is available, or have the product appear instantaneously in your hands.

Remember older Google pranks like Google Gulp and Google TiSP. Some others played on the Google card to play pranks on their readers, some notable ones were –

Google Buys Facebook

In a move that stunned Silicon Valley, Google announced it will purchase popular social network Facebook in a cash and stock deal valued at $25 billion. Google CEO Eric Schmidt and Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg held a hastily arranged press conference where they outlined the key elements of the agreement. Technically, Zuckerberg explained, Google is purchasing 98.4 percent of Facebook, leaving Microsoft with 1.6 percent ownership.

Google DreamAds

Essentially DreamAds is Google’s latest plan to extend AdSense – this time into our dreams. It may sound far-fetched, but an inside source at Google told us that it is very possible thanks to the latest in cheap magnetic resonance scanning and mind-reading techniques developed at Stanford University. Our source also revealed the thinking behind DreamAds: Google is aiming to become the first company to monetize a totally wasted period of time in human life: sleep, which takes up almost 1/3 of our lives.

Share with friends

About the Author: P Chandra is editor of QOT, one of India's earliest tech bloggers since 2004. A tech enthusiast with expertise in coding, WordPress, web tools, SEO and DIY hacks.