Many of you have asked what wordpress plugins we use to power QOT. Well below are the 10 WordPress plugins that are active right now to power this site.
- Akismet – this is the single most important plugin for any WordPress blog if you want to moderate comments in a sane manner. It effectively blocks all the spam which hundreds of bots keep posting everyday. We get thousands of spam comments each day, and without Akismet managing comments would be impossible.
- All in One SEO – claims to be an out of the box SEO plugin. It fixes all your titles and relevant meta tags to help your blog get higher search engine rankings. No wonder it is the most download wordpress plugin. WordPress expert can manually fix a lot of code themselves, but for most bloggers this does the SEO job in one click.
- Clean Archives Reloaded – is the easiest way to create an archives page for your site. Simply activate the plugin, create a page titles ‘archives’, then cut past a simple shortcode and your fresh archive is live. See our archives page.
- Evermore – this is a simple way to abbreviate all posts when viewed on multiple post pages. This makes all posts behave as if there is a “<!–more–>” at an appropriate spot inside the content. See it live on our front page.
- Google XML Sitemaps – This plugin will generate a special XML sitemap which will help search engines like Google, Yahoo, Bing and Ask.com to better index your blog. It regularly updates your sitemap whenever your posts or pages changes and pings search engines.
- Grunion Contact Form – this is the best contact form by Automatic itself, makers of WordPress. It will let you add a contact form to any post, page or text widget. Emails will be sent to the post’s author by default, or any email address you choose. You must have seem it on WordPress.com. See it live on our contact form.
- WordPress Stats – this is a light weight analytics plugins (again as seen on WordPress.com) to track site statistics and monitor you site traffic, backlinks, and traffic charts right from the WordPress dashboard. Simple and easy.
- WordPress Data Backup – provides an automated as well as on demand back up of your wordpress databases. It is must have to back your database safely on your email, computer or server itself, to save you on a bad server day.
- Wp-Ban – Sometimes you are stuck with a particularly spammy IP which despite getting in the spam queue, keeps posting thousands of comments on your site and overloading your server. Ban IP addresses easily and protect your blog. It works.
- Wp-supercache – this is the must have plugin to keep your site up and running not only when you have the Digg traffic hitting you, but also routinely to cache all your content and reduce server load with all those PHP calls. Do not start a WordPress blog without it.
I shared my WordPress plugins. What plugins do you use besides these?
Read more tips about WordPress