Future Posted WordPress Articles Can Miss Schedule

By Posted 2009 Updated   BloggingWordPress

One of the benefits of WordPress is you can future post blog articles to go live anytime in the future. But I was surprised that many of my future articles were never posted as expected. They simple Missed Schedule!

missed schedule

What happened? While travelling as I checked my site on my mobile phone, there were no updates. I usually future post while travelling or on vacation to keep the blog current with new content. Though I always believed this system to be fool proof, it was surprising when I logged into WordPress admin to find red notes on the articles “Missed Schedule”.

I checked my site traffic logs for any site downtime during the particular post time, but could not observe any significant downtime. Even if there was a few minutes of busy database / server down issues during the very time, I expected future posting to continue at first instance it is possible. But it seems that does not occur in the current WordPress configuration.

Future posted articles may never go live – Bloggers often future post when they go on long vacations and are busy in real life activities. But this is with the expectation that future posts will get published as per schedule. Now knowing the fact that database / server issues the very moment the post has to be published can prevent the article from going live, till you manually publish it, raises a concern for all bloggers who future post articles.

What WordPress should do?– If WordPress is not able to publish a future posted article, it should recheck frequently every 10 minutes, and publish the article as soon as possible after the publish date, instead of missing schedule and never going live.

A concerned future posting blogger… what are your thoughts?

31 comments on “Future Posted WordPress Articles Can Miss Schedule

1. Anna says:

This is a timely article, considering that two blog posts I scheduled last week never went live. My point to WordPress is, why have the feature if it only occasionally works? One thought is that WP isn’t aware of the issue, and if they were notified by enough bloggers, a fix might be included in the next WP release. Ugh. Very frustrating, but good to know I’m not the only one to whom this has happened.

2. Mark says:

I’d never heard of anything like this happening before, so I’m a bit surprised by it. I’m not entirely familiar with how scheduling works in WordPress in terms of the “cron” daemon it uses, but it seems reasonable that it could check for past-due drafts every 10 or 15 minutes with negligible impact on the server.

3. Alex the Freelance Twin says:

I agree that if the post can’t go live at the specified time for whatever reason, it needs to go live ASAP after that time. Obviously WordPress knows it couldn’t go live at the proper time, and if that happens it should push it live at the next possible time, not wait for you to publish it.

4. Ashish Mohta says:

An excellent catch and it came as a surprise. Its good to know that wordpress handles this but again they should have made the feature of try publish on failure again.

I am sure wordpress will listen to this.

5. Dual Monitor says:

Well, I guess it is a free software. Can’t expect too much, but WordPress is usually the best!

6. Fred says:

I found that the ‘scheduled posting’ stop working since WP 2.6 after I upgraded from ver 2.5.2 at my site protradeshares.com

Since then I never trust the schedule posting anymore. I just post as and when I can.

7. Sarbjit Singh says:

So I am not alone..

I faced the exact issue this weekend when I planned to travel and saved a couple of posts for future posing and they were never published. I am using WordPress 2.6.5. Though, this was the first time I faced the issue, it has always worked in the past.

There was no obvious reason for it. I hope there is an answer.

8. QuickOnlineTips says:

I think this would affect all versions of WordPress. I hope the next version of WordPress takes this issue into account. Future posting is a great tool, but we have to ensure it works.

9. Arjun says:

Word press is great software. I hope Great developers are working always in optimizing the software to give better experience to the users. I hope they got to know this issue and they might fix it soon. I never came across such an issue why because I don’t have an habit to write future posts…lol… :)

10. LGR says:

This could be an issue with your host as well. I have had problems on some hosts where the wp-cron does not run properly. Try a search on the WordPress forums there might be something there that can help you.

11. Chung Bey Luen says:

Even if the wp-cron has problem to run in the first time, WordPress should try to run it again after some time, says 15 mins later. After several tries, if still fail, then log down the issue and will not retry again. And I think WordPress should implement a logging system to log down all the critical activity in the system so that we can trace the problem.

12. Archana says:

I have been using this feature for sometime now, but I haven’t faced any such situation till now. Is it a problem of WordPress 2.7???

13. Jade says:

I’ve been pulling my hair out trying to fix this issue since I upgraded to WordPress 2.7 – I looked at some of the fixes around the Internet and some were too complicated with curl and php.ini file edits. So I chose the option of overwriting two files in my WordPress installation that involved the cron jobs trigger and I managed to solve my problem. You can check out my blog post where I detail the fix for this issue http://newbloghelp.com/wordpress/wordpress-missed-schedule-future-posts-fix/

14. Nirmal says:

I was about to write about this, I have had this problem many times, only in WP2.7. Many of my scheduled post missed schedule, no server error or downtimes.

15. Jade says:

@QuickOnlineTips – I’m happy to report that out of a dozen or so folks who have tried my fix (that I know of) it has worked for all but 1 of them…perhaps his server environment was the issue as he has been the only one to report so far that this fix didn’t work…I’d say 11 out of 12 ain’t bad…

16. xensen says:

The issue has nothing to do with server downtime. It is a bug in the WP chron file since 2.6. Search “wordpress missed schedule” to find the WP thread on this. I might try Jade’s fix.

17. xensen says:

I’ve tried Jade’s fix on three blogs, and it does appear to work on all of them.

18. Oberon Keatley says:

I always use future posting, I spend a few hours researching & writing, then set the posts to publish once a day. That way I’m not tied to my keyboard!

I’ve never missed one, but I did notice the last post I did decided to use a different font & text colour, making the post (a very good one on slow cookers I might add!) invisible! I’ll be keeping a closer eye in future, but if you have to manually cheeck everything that goes live, what’s the point of future posting?

19. bpiccolo says:

I’ve run into the same issue on one of my blogs running 2.6.2. Jade, will your fix work on versions older than 2.6.5?

20. 5ubliminal says:

Try this one: http://blog.5ubliminal.com/posts/missed-schedule-future-posts-scheduled-mias-wordpress-plugin/ .

21. mirlme says:

this is the problem that i face
    how to solve this problem

22. Wordpress Tips says:

This has not happened to me with 2.7.1 so maybe it has been fixed?

23. link building services says:

well i think its not in 2.7 version, as i haven’t encountered with any of such thing.

24. SEO Consultant says:

Nice work dude… It is helpful for me as well as others..

25. hamroblog says:

I am facing the same problem . I uesd wp 2.8.4 .Plugin can’t work for my blog

26. driver13 says:

In many ways, companies are just like people. ,

27. Skipag says:

I do not know … must try … thanks

28. Cheolsu says:

This has happened to me a couple of times while using the previous versions of wordpress. I have not had any issues with 3.1 version.

29. Srinivas Venkataraman says:

There is a plugin to address this issue.

WP Missed Schedule Fix Failed Posts

30. Pauline says:

The fact that our future blog posts may not be published on schedule is very worrying.

I agree that the auto responders should have a built in function to check any schedules that may have been missed due to their own downtimes. Especially just lately auto responders seem to be getting attacked more frequently causing a lot of downtime.

Pauline