Migrated from Dreamhost to Knownhost VPS Hosting

By 20-06-2009   Domain HostingSite News

QOT successfully migrated from Dreamhost shared hosting to Knownhost managed VPS hosting today. After a few days unavoidable downtime, we are back to share our learning experience with you over the next few articles.

It all started when Dreamhost disabled our account a few days back. We have requested them to tell us specific issues which we might be unaware of so that we can fix them. While it was scary, it was heartening to see the daily database backup from WordPress Database backup plugin (my favorite plugin now) sitting in our email, but it was even more gracious of Dreamhost to allow FTP to let us backup our files via FTP. Whatever might be the issue, we had a great hosting experience with Dreamhost for over 3 years and I still recommend Dreamhost as one of the best shared web hosting services to start your site.

Knowing not where to start, I found some amazingly helpful people on Twitter (see my Twitter profile to follow them) who went out of the way to guide us, support us, suggest webhosting, and even provide personal tech support to set our server. There are just too many people to name, and I thank you all for your help and support.

Best managed VPS Hosting

As I analyzed some other popular shared hosting services like Doreo, Bluehost, Hostgator – we decided it was time to expand beyond the constraints of shared hosting (like plugin memory limits) and get  a new VPS hosting server which will help QOT spread its wings to expand and grow to meet new demands of traffic.

The next day we started our search for a new managed VPS hosting service. Why managed VPS? – basically because with an unmanaged server you are on your own, you need to know your tech stuff correctly and know what you are dealing with on a daily basis. Since I am no expert with servers, it was safer to switch to managed VPS hosting.

I was recommended several unmanaged VPS hosting services like Linode, Slicehost; some semi-managed VPS hosting tools like MediaTemple and fully managed VPS hosting like Liquidweb, WiredTree, Servint, JaguarPC, and Knownhost.

Why Choose Knownhost Managed VPS?

The VPS package of Knownhost seemed affordable and feature rich. I sent an email to their sales team about how fast they could get us migrated and hosted. I expected a response in a few hours as it was off-working hours in US. To our surprise, we got an email back in less than a minute. I continued my series of queries and exchanges over the next hour and got surprisingly fast response each time. With such amazing support, my decision was easily made and I paid out for the VPS package at $40 per month. The excellent tech support continued over the next few days with the same incredible response time and is a major reason we are back online…

Though the site has been down now for over 3 days, we went through a lot – efforts to get our account back, get backups, find a new host, setup a new VPS, set up new private nameservers, wait for  DNS propagation for over 24 hours. We learnt a lot from this experience and will continue to share it with QOT readers.

Stay subscribed and we will share our learning experience about Knownhost, VPS, WordPress migration and the fascinating lessons learnt ….

24 comments on “Migrated from Dreamhost to Knownhost VPS Hosting

1. Wallace says:

i choose DH mainly from your recommendation, please reveal the story that why you would be disabled from DH.

2. Pavan Kumar says:

Wishing you a great success with new VPS hosting :)

3. Sarpras says:

I also choose dreamhost, considering recommendation of QOT. I not get any problem from DH, very good hosting.

Why you not choose vps hosting from DH?

4. Brian says:

Why are you still being so charitable to Dreamhost? They disabled your account with no stated reason or advance warning. Unless they admit to making a mistake, I won’t have any of my future clients potentially subjected to that treatment. They were very nasty to you!

• QuickOnlineTips says:

They said we violated their TOS. Anyway, this single event does not deny the fact that we had a great hosting experience for 3 years and that is what matters for most people who join a shared hosting service.

5. Thomas Arie says:

I’ve been with KnownHost for more than a year and had a great experience. I ordered 2 VPS packages. You’re in a good VPS, I think.

I think we have the same issue. My client was using DreamHost too and got her account suspended for using ‘too many resources’.

6. jbevans says:

I’m very interested to follow your story at KH. My account was disabled from another provider, not DH or KH, because I was using too many resources. I suspect they may have oversold their machines because I have heard from others using them the same story. Oddly, they could not pinpoint exactly what was happening or where – just that it was account.

I hope you will careful chronicle your switch to KH. Many of us want to know.

7. srikanth says:

Good luck with VPS hosting

8. Harsh Agrawal says:

Hey good to see you on VPS
    QOT is one of high traffic blog and IMO you should have moved to VPS long time bak.. anyways..it’s never late then never..
    meanwhile I’m also looking to move to VPS.. hope to hear more experience from you in coming days so that I can be sure of Knownhost..
    Regards
    Harsh

9. QuickOnlineTips says:

Thanks everyone for your support. The next few articles will share our experiences of starting with VPS on Knownhost and should be informative.

Anyway I think this whole event was a blessing in disguise as it helped us expand to a VPS which we were delaying for a long time.

10. ArpitNext says:

congrats on getting back online!