How to Set Private Nameservers on Domain Names

By Posted 2009 Updated   Domain HostingTutorials

We got some free new white-listed domain specific private  nameservers courtesy of our new Knownhost VPS hosting. But setting up private name servers is a little different, when you try changing the name servers with your domain name registrar.

Usually your webhosting gives their nameservers to use, like this
ns1.knownhost.com
ns2.knownhost.com

But we got private nameservers, specific to our domain name, like this
ns1.quickonlinetips.com
ns1.quickonlinetips.com

Set Up Private Nameservers for Domain Names

When you login to your domain name registrar (we use Godaddy) to change DNS settings, you would simply need to edit the nameservers for your domain name to those suggested by your host and it would propagate over a few hours. But when we tried changing our domain nameserver, we kept getting “Nameserver not registered” errors.

no nameserver

We wasted a lot of precious time and effort on this, believing maybe the IP was not yet registered and linked to these nameservers. But actually this time it needed a little more technical skill than before.

host-summary-add

The trick is to locate the Host Summary details, which would normally be empty. Click the add link there to add  your new private nameservers with their IP there. Create separate entry for each nameserver.

set host ip

Once you set your host name and IP, then the Host Summary details, which were blank before, now looks like this

host summary

Now you can go ahead and change  your nameservers the usual way and those “Nameserver not registered” errors will no longer be there, and your new name server change request will be accepted.

Keep subscribed to share more of our experiences on shifting to VPS. Need private name servers? We got them at Knownhost.

20 comments on “How to Set Private Nameservers on Domain Names

1. Albert says:

Let me know which VPS plan you are using for this site…?

I’m planning to purchase managed VPS for Video Sharing site.

2. Mida says:

does this work with any other hosts,? i mean shared host account like hostgator?

• QuickOnlineTips says:

If your host has this facility, they will surely publicize it.

• Chris says:

Mida, I just set up a reseller account with Host Gator, all of my domains are on Godaddy. I followed the instructions on this page and it worked great. Propagation can take a day or two once set. Just wanted to let you know that it does indeed work with hostgator.

Cheers :)

3. Sunder says:

That’s a simple and great solutions…. i too wasted a lot of time on this error… but finally added the nameserver details with help of this post…

Thanks a lot

4. IamRob says:

Thank you so much for this. Man I was having a problem.

5. Livan says:

Thank you. Very clear. It work perfect.

• Ana says:

Thanks! My domains are with Mad Dog Domains and I have just followed your instructions sucessfully (just had to scroll down a bit to find “Host Summary”). I will now wait for propagation, but I think this did the trick!

6. Dirk says:

I have been setting up my private name servers just like you described above for over a year now.

Today when I went to set up a site I went to host summary, added my name servers, then went to manage and all I keep getting is name server not registered.

I called go-daddy and their support told me I am not suppose to do it that way.

Any tips?

Thanks

• QuickOnlineTips says:

It is possible only if your host allows private nameservers. Most hosts do not allow that and use their own nameservers. Check with your host.

7. Florin says:

How to set this on name.com, i can`t find the Host Summary please help, thank you

8. thetricks says:

Thanks a lot. I was finding it from last 5 hour and you made it so easy.

9. Host Monsterz says:

how to do it in zamfoo. please share in detail.

10. Michael says:

Tried everything as you have described which I believe is the correct infomation for Godaddy… but still the domain name will not resolve. Host Gator says they have done all they are supposed to do so I’m at a stalemate in
    meantime… over 3 days and no resolution in site but more support calls.

11. Michael says:

The fix… One Godaddy tech, name Sean, out of 3 of others detected the problem for me after 3 days…

I blame this on Godaddy’s interface as I fell into the trap of pasting in the full DNS info into the edit area of the Host Summary section. I pasted it in just same as I always do in their set nameservers area.
    But you must know that these boxes in the Host Summary edit area only require: NS1 | NS2

Therefore, don’t add in the full ===> domain.com

It’s confusing but leave it out of the edit Host Summary area…

In the Godaddy Host Summary area and due to interface blindness of “half” hardcoding in the DNS domain info, you can easily make the mistake of just copy/pasting in the whole DNS info as such: NS1.Domain.com | NS2.Domain.com. But no, that’s wrong in the edit area boxes where it must be set. However it’s fine to use the full nameserver info in the other nameserver boxes like: Set Name Servers or when intially setting the DNS boxes in the Host Summary area. Some of us won’t see that the domain.com part of the DNS info in these boxes is already written in (over to the right) and outside of the boxes so you can easily miss it.

So, again let me emphasize… you only have to type in: NS1 | NS2 in the edit area of Host Summary.

If you fill in the full DSN info then your domain will not resolve and will keep coming up as: Nameserver Not Registered because you’re generating doubled domain info as private name servers like this: NS1.Domain.com.Domain.com. / NS2.Domain.com.Domain.com

But it should be resolved as: NS1.Domain.com & NS2.Domain.com

I hope this makes sense in case anyone else has this happen.

12. Michael says:

Let me just clarify this for something already confusing enough. Initially, when in Godaddy’s Host Summary area
    yes you do need to put in the full DNS info like this:
    NS1.Domain.com & NS2.Domain.com

But in the Set Host and IP address area when you click the Edit links, in there where it opens up a small screen, only add the NS1 | NS2 (this is where the domain.com part in already hard coded in so by adding it in the box only duplicates the DNS info cunfusing things) Also add in your IP address with NS1 & NS2 and you should be good to go.

13. Anas says:

Hi,

I have added host to my godaddy. But the problem Nameservers not registered stil persist.

Can i have some advise?