How to Transfer Domain Name to New Registrar

By 15-10-2009   Domain HostingGuest PostsTutorials

In this article I’m going to explain the steps involved to transfer domain name from one registrar to another. If you have couple of domain names, it is better to keep all of them in a single registrar. Below mentioned steps are common and can be applied to all the top domain registrars.

1. Purchase Domain Transfer At The Your New Registrar
Normally if you purchase a domain transfer, your new registrar will let you to keep all the time remaining on your existing registration and provide One-Year free extension. After the purchase of domain transfer, your domain at the new registrar will require an Authorization Code. Your new registrar will send an email to you which contains “Transaction ID” and “Security Code”.

2. Request Authorization Code At Current Registrar
Login to your current registrar account and request for Authorization Code. But remember you should have turned off the domain protection or your domain should be unlocked before requesting the authorization code from the current registrar.

3. Authorization Code Received From Current Registrar
You will receive an email from current registrar with “Authorization Code”. Now you can begin the domain transfer from the new registrar using the authorization code. Login to your new registrar and begin the transfer process. Then the new registrar will display the status as “Authorization Required” and choose “ Begin Transfer Authorization”(Recommended).

Now enter the authorization code that you received from the current registrar through mail and complete the process. After completing this step, the status will be displayed as “Pending Current Registrar approval” and choose “Accept transfer at current registrar” (Recommended).

4. Email Notification From Current Registrar
After completing all these steps, you will receive an email from your current registrar confirming your transfer request. You don’t need to take any action if you want to accept the transfer. If you wish to cancel the transfer, follow the link provided in the email.

5. Domain Transfer Completed To New Registrar
You will get a confirmation email from your new registrar received approximately four days after initiating the transfer at the current registrar. Remember that the current registrar has up to 5 days to release the transfer of the domain.

Have you ever transferred a domain name to a new registrar? If so, please share your experience here.

This guest article was written by S.Pradeep Kumar at hellboundbloggers.com, a technical blogger and writer specializing in blogging tips, product reviews and tutorials.

This is a guest article and represents opinions of the guest author

17 comments on “How to Transfer Domain Name to New Registrar

1. Mark says:

Always wonder about this, thanks.

Out of curiousity, why would one want to transfer their domain(s) to another registrar?

2. S.Pradeep Kumar says:

@ Mark : Well buddy, there are many reasons. Some people would have got free domain names when they purchased a hosting account and they provide very less features… ;)

So transferring them to advanced domain registrar like GoDaddy helps a lot ! :)

3. QuickOnlineTips says:

@Mark – Top domain name registrars offers many features and advanced options which your local domain name vendor may never offer. We also host all our domains with Godaddy.

4. Tech-Freak Stuff says:

Does the Domain transfer from one registrar to another require any fee? I want to transfer my domains too..

5. S.Pradeep Kumar says:

@ Tech-Freak Stuff : Yes Rohit, they charge for transferring. The domain transfer fee will be similar as domain registration fee.

6. Chetan Gole says:

I use dynadot for all my domain needs, its best domain site. GoDaddy sucks.
    Pradeep given really nice tut for new webmasters, keep it buddy. :)

• S.Pradeep Kumar says:

Thank you very much Chetan ! :)

But, I also use GoDaddy ! :D

And till now, it didn’t hit me ! ;)

• sriganesh says:

I agree with chetan, but cant say it s%$# , but most of my friends said the same. mediatemple,wpwebhost is good and their customer service is good too. others
        BW- nice and useful tips buddy :)

7. Anil Gupta says:

I’m planning to transfer one of my domain to new account and I hope this guide will really help me to get success with what I’m planning to do

8. Sakib says:

lots of things to learn and great tutorials.

9. Eric says:

I recently went through this process to consolidate the location of my domains. I finally got fed up with remember multiple credentials, and godaddy for that matter. Most registrars have pretty good documentation, but this would have definitely come in handy. Good post, just a few weeks to late ;-)

10. crazy blogger says:

how to transfer a domain from rediff.com to other

• S.Pradeep Kumar says:

You can follow this GoDaddy thread mate, hope it will be useful.