Choose Correct Facebook Timeline Cover Photo Size

By Updated   FacebookSocial Media

The new Facebook Timeline cover photo size is 851×315 (851px wide and 315px height) and this new Facebook Cover image dimension size has initiated a new craze of 851x315px Facebook wallpapers across the web as many free wallpaper sites are encouraging Facebook users to choose their Facebook Cover art.

Facebook Timeline Cover Photo Size

You can activate Facebook Timeline right now and get the new Cover Photo which serves like a header image of your Facebook page and is a great opportunity to use a large 851px wide image to showcase a unique image about your life, or events.

facebook cover photo size

What Cover Image size  to use?
Its is a good idea to upload a high resolution image with exact size of 851px wide and 315px height which fill fit perfectly.

timeline cover photo

What is the minimum width of the Cover Photo?
Officially Facebook FAQ says your cover image must be least 399 pixels wide and 150 pixels tall. Smaller images will get upload errors. I tried to upload a smaller image and got a message to upload cover photo at least 399px wide. I was able to upload images 399px wide and above (which were zoomed out and could not be re-positioned). Any image height is accepted it seems.

cover photo size

What if you use cover photo of any other size?

Firstly Facebook Cover photos below allowed size will not be accepted for Cover Photo upload. If you upload any other size, Facebook  will be forced to resize / virtually crop the image, which will make it distorted and pixelated. Upload the exact size.

Can you crop / edit the Cover Photo?
Facebook will only allow you to reposition the Cover image if you upload a larger image . For most large images, this will work more like moving the image ‘up and down’ till you get all the area of your interest in the fixed size of 851×315. Then you can save your Facebook Cover.

Can other people save Cover Photos?
This image is visible for public use and can be saved. What is important is that this is like a virtual crop, so if people decide to right click and save your Facebook cover, they will save the full uncropped image. e.g. if you upload a big full size photo of yourself, and then decide to make the head as you cover photo, people saving the image can see the full image. So its a good idea to upload the exact size.

Remember all cover images are public, so choose wisely as all will be able to see them.

What is the Facebook cover size on mobile phones?

The same image will appear in a size of 640px wide and 360px tall on smartphones. They say an image of less than 100kb JPG file will load fastest.

33 comments on “Choose Correct Facebook Timeline Cover Photo Size

1. pooja says:

my picture is too big and hence doesnt fit the cover size. help me get the entire pic in the given area please:(

2. QuickOnlineTips says:

Pooja – Crop you image to an exact size of 850×315 using any image editor like Microsoft Paint, Irfan View, Photoshop etc. and then upload.

3. Darkeyez says:

I made the exact size but when uploaded its all washed out, the original was pristine. Are there compression settings that specifically need to be used or is it a file size issue?

4. QuickOnlineTips says:

Darkyez – Facebook normally compresses all images by default. You can try uploading an image this way > Go to Photos>Upload Photo – then while uploading you get an option to click ‘High Quality’. Later instead of uploading a new cover photo, select that image as Cover Photo.

5. Huerta says:

What can I do if i already crop my photo in 850×315 but the resolution is not good?

• QuickOnlineTips says:

If the resolution is poor, it will get poorer as Facebook compresses it. Try a high res picture and dont crop it, Facebook will resize it.

• jokesarcade says:

so the size given is minimum size to set? if we have highter dimension then facebook will resize it according to their requrement?

6. mcvera says:

I followed the right dimension but the quality is really F**** up. -__- the original is good and looks really quality..

7. mee says:

hi guys. please visit this site for the tutorials on how to add facebook timeline cover and check also their facebook cover layouts.

8. Sandeep Singh says:

Took me a while to figure out the size.But its a nice addition for sure.

9. Cover photos says:

Facebook have done a gud job by enabling timeline for all profiles this will help us to style facebook profiles

10. Fern Porras says:

I can see a big drawback with this whole photo size thing. I tried the Timeline format, and a lot of my photos were posted without captions, which makes some of them meaningless. I usually just browse the internet, download then upload to Facebook within a couple of minutes. This will add considerable time and trouble to the way I post. I love the way it looks though. Very classy.

11. Sugel says:

Unlike other sites we’ve looked at so far, MyProfileCover.com doesn’t integrate with your Facebook profile. It simply offers the cover photo at the correct size so you can save and upload it manually. The images do carry a watermark.

12. Jitendra @jitutechnology says:

I guess, i am using the right Facebook timeline cover for my Facebook Timeline. Anyway thanks for your Great Ideas!

13. Roger Sheppard says:

If anyone is looking for properly sized cover photo images, I found a site that has a lot of them. They are all presized, so it makes it very easy. Hope this helps someone out. www.fblyts.com

14. brosur kilat says:

is new for me… but I thik its cool to try

15. Vilhelmas says:

Woohoo! I really enjoyed this thing! Thx a lot!

16. MOte Own Nout says:

What is the minimum width of the Cover Photo?
    Officially Facebook FAQ says your cover image must be at least 720 pixels wide. Smaller images will get upload errors. I tried to upload a smaller image and got a message to upload cover photo at least 399px wide. I was able to upload images 399px wide and above (which were zoomed out and could not be repositioned). Any image height is accepted it seems.

cover photo size

17. Lyz Fox says:

Hi there,
    I have changed my photo to 850 x 219 (its my company logo) but when I upload it still cuts it off half way through, any more suggestions & also changing the size doesnt seemt o make any difference to when I do the profile image either?
    Lyz

18. Facebook Cover Dimensions says:

It took a while to catch on but I’ve seen some really creative uses of the cover photos space. Especially on business and non-profit pages.

19. ravi shekhar says:

to get timeline

20. Shabeer says:

which is the best resolution 72 or 300

21. Penne says:

Hi. I have changed my cover photo many times. At 850 it is gigantic and distorted so I tried the 399 it said it has to be. It is still way too distorted and huge. I tried to go lower to 200 and it said it is too small. What’s up with that??? this is so frustrating
    thanks,Penne

22. Funny Pictures says:

Cover Photo Concept Is Good And Really Great Aricle For This..

23. mustepha seid says:

hi,i tried so mony times but its says at least 399 pixels wide so pls try to supply ……tanx

24. Cefca says:

Hello, May I ask the dimension in which your profile picture will be place on the given 850×315, Uhmm… I mean the coordinates Thanks in advance!

25. cover photos says:

Isn’t it 851×315 px? some says it’s 850×315 and some says 851×315. Which one is the exact size of cover photo?

26. timelinecoverphotos.in says:

the real size is 863 x 315 check using chrome developer tools and try here http://timelinecoverphotos.in/

27. Ginette says:

I have the right size 835×315, but it does not fit well in the space provided. Every time I upload the picture (front page), it has the right width but it is way too high. The space is not the right size compared to everyone else. I wonder how to make my picture appear slim (in height). Thanks.

28. Waheed says:

the great points i have ever read. Thanks For Great Tip

29. Cheri says:

What’s annoying me is that my picture is smaller than 850×315 and yet facebook wants to to be cute and crop parts of it anyway. How do I get my full image up there? I want to see this entire thing. This is annoying

30. Wendell says:

It’s also a good idea to do a makeover of images as well to keep the page looking alive. Build 4 or five image setups that you interchange from time to time to achieve that goal. –w

31. ya'll uglies says: