[Solved] Fix Error 0X80070052 on USB Flash Drives

An alert popped up with Error 0X80070052 – “the directory or file can not be created as I tried to copy data from my Computer to memory stick. I use a 2GB Transcend USB Flash drive or memory stick to store my office data. Here is my experience in fixing the error…

Checking my USB Flash Drive

Error 0X80070052

I had shared my experience about fixing flash drive errors earlier, but I was determined to try all means to figure out what went wrong before I would format the pen drive (and all data is deleted forever!). I googled some forums for support and the problem was not uncommon. Most people suggested some FAT to NTFS problem, something about not correctly formatting your disk when used the first time, fake pen drives (standard tech support answer) and the ultimate (and simplest) solution to format your disc and erase all data.

Here is what I did, and maybe you would have too – I used the “Safely remove hardware” option, stopped the flash drive, reinserted it into the USB port. All my files were listed well and could be opened. I could easily transfer data from the USB drive to the computer (So I transfered all data, just incase all data got corrupted by my experiments – always back up your data, ALWAYS while it is still working).

When I tried creating a new folder, it did manage to create some corrupted folder, which would not open, nor could it be deleted. Here is a comparison of the corrupted new folder on the left and the way a normal new folder displays in Window Vista.

Corrupt New FolderNormal New Folder

The first thing that struck me was that since more data was not getting stored on the pen drive, the maximum storage capacity must have been reached. But the usb drive was only at 25% capacity. So the problem has to be something else.

Free Disk Space

Maybe it was a bad virus which had infected the pen drive. I went to My Computer and right clicked to right clicked to scan with Norton Internet Security (my trusted antivirus tool, though these free antivirus software would work as well). No Viruses or malware.

Maybe it was bad sectors on the disk. Then I right clicked the Removable drive, went to properties, then tools and I scanned the drive for bad sectors and selected the error checking option.

Scan for Errors

Then I selected both options to Automatically fix file system errors and also scan and attempt recovery of bad sectors. But there were no errors.

Check Disk for Errors
However, I could still not create any folder on the pen drive, nor could transfer any data from the computer to the flash drive. I looked around the forums where most of them suggested to back up all data and format flash drives.

Error 0X80070052 USB Fix

When I looked into the contents of my usb flash drive, I had around 15 folders and over a 120 word documents, 30 Pdf files and a few zip and image files stored in the root of the pen drive. Since new folders were not being created, I thought maybe there were too many files in the root area, so I moved all these individual files to a pre-existent folder (remember we cannot create a new folder). Now I had 15 folders and no single files in the root of the flash drive.

And guess what happened (I would not be writing this had it not worked!) – The flash drive is back to normal (I do not need to format it after all, though I was getting prepared for it). Now the Error 0x80070052 is gone, I can easily create new folders (that strange corrupted folder is still there!) and easily transfer files to and fro from the computer. So maybe it has something to do with keeping files in folders… maybe some geeky person can share their knowledge about the issue.

I hope you try this simple solution to Error 0x80070052 before formatting your flash drive. It worked for me, may work for you.

160 comments on “[Solved] Fix Error 0X80070052 on USB Flash Drives

1. No Worries says:

If you have formatted your usb drive with FAT16, there is a limitation on how many files you can have on the root of each drive. That limit is 512 files and folders.

2. dorear says:

Exactly what my problem was. Thank you – this saved me hours of investigating!!

3. giri says:

hi… i have a 4GB usb flash… when the files or folder size exceeds 700 to 800 mb all the data gets mixed up nd i cant delete or copy the files can u tell me u r idea about it….

4. mama_lr says:

Wow thanks for your help! I had this problem with my MP3 player. Now I can download more songs on it. Thanks again!

5. Jim N says:

Great advice, it worked.

6. Should Worry says:

The limit is not 512, but rather 255 (16*16=256). I had the same issue and for Windows purposes, I format it to FAT32. In my digital cameras I use FAT16. The cameras will take care of the 255 file limitation.

7. yoe says:

it really works!!!!
    thank you very much=W=~~~!!!!

8. John Bannister says:

Re Error 0X80070052
    I had exactly the same error as you describe on my Tescos 1G Technika flash drive. I had copied ~100 files and could not copy any further files but had only used 100M of memory. I was thinking about taking it back. However, I followed your fix and it works! You saved me a trip and a product exchange which would not have solved the problem.
    The user manual for this product is clearly inadequate. Ill bet that Tescos are getting a lot of unnecessary product returns!
    Many thanks for your very useful fix – why not tell Tescos – they should reward you!

9. fared says:

I can help you. go to vendor website search and download utiliti software for you USB drive.you can format USB drive and repair USB drive System

10. batteries not included says:

thanks for this. was beginning to think my 2gb SD was a fake. very useful!!!

11. Polly says:

Oh, thank you so much! You helped me a lot! :*

12. esamlioglu says:

Your solution also solves my problem. Thaks a lot.

13. Michael Metz says:

format the SD Card or USB drive in Fat32 before you use it or save you data and then fornat the little bugger. Workd like a charm for me,

MSM

14. Testrup says:

Ohh.. Dudes.. Actually there is a more simple solution to this particular problem.

Simply format the pen-drive in FAT32 instead of FAT.

I indexed all my files into folders after reading this little fix, but tried, by my self, to format the drive in FAT32, and now I can have as many files as I like in the root of the pen-drive.

//Testrup

15. janfrancis says:

i had 150 mp3 files on my M2 SD card and it didnt want to sinc with windows media player. i just transfered the 150 mp3’s to my desktop ofcourse made a folder. then i erased all data on the card. then i made 3 folders music videos pictures
    started putting them back and now its working perfectly… dang sd cards have limits on their root drive

16. DeWanto says:

I have Creative Nomad MP4 Player Flash Disk. My Computer detect it as Removable Disk if i plug in computer, but i can not format it, because capcity 0 kb. How is it ? How to format and fixed or repaired it ? Thank’s

17. Mandy says:

Worked great, thank you.

18. Lisa says:

i am trying to copy about 800 photos onto a 2GB SD card. It is limiting me to 300 pics but still says it has over 3/4 of memory left. i get the 0x80070052 error. any thoughts? i plan on putting the card into a digital photo frame.

19. Josefine says:

HI! I have the same problem, but I dont have a pre-excistens folder. So how can I fix this problem now?
    Help me!

Josefine

20. Di Lafin says:

I transfered everything off the 2GB SDcard into a new folder on the desk top which left the card totally empty. I then added more photos to the folder and transfered the new folder back to the SDcard. It worked with no problems.
    Thank you very, very much.