When we think of Windows Mobile apps or check the online reviews of the Best Pocket PC Application we usually come across the same old stuff like Google Maps, Skype, Facebook App, SkyFire, Opera etc. Dont get me wrong these apps are great but there are other hidden gems that are usually overlooked and today we take a look at a few of them in no particular order.
1) CleanRAM: This nifty little application releases valuable program memory that’s no longer being used without having to restart the device. There are 3 levels (Basic purge, Quality purge, Fundamental purge) to perform RAM cleanup.
2) S2U2 : is a simple lock/unlock application which has the iPhone style slide unlocking. It can be used as a screensaver while you don’t use your device. It will also shows your calender appointments, missed calls, unread SMS/email etc.
3) SmartLyrics : lets you manually search for the lyrics to any song, it can also automatically pull the lyrics for the song you play on windows mobile using Windows Mobile Media Player or in HTC AudioManager. Requires registration.
4) YoMoMedia RSS : If you read RSS on your device then this is a must have. This app comes in 2 parts – a web application and a Windows Mobile RSS Client. The best part about it is it syncs the feeds between these 2 apps.
6) Microfi Nitrogen : is an opensource Windows Mobile app that allows you to play MP3/OGG/AAC/MP4/M4A/3GP/WAV/WMA songs stored on your Pocket PC device. It features a file browser, full skin support, smart shuffle and repeat modes, a 10-band equalizer with preset support (8 included presets), built-in sleep mode, a blank screen command to prevent energy waste while playing music and many more new features.
7) ShootMe : is an all-in-one app. There are other apps that simulate shotguns or light sabres or even boxing, but why have different apps for each one. ShootMe! has all of those funny apps gathered in one. The application has a Free and Paid version.
8) Flexilis : If security is a priority for you then Flexilis is the app for you. Along with the Anti-Virus and Firewall app, Flexilis also provides a module for backup, which will let you back up your contacts and photos. You can also transfer your data to a new phone with Flexilis. The Anti-Theft Module enables you to respond when your device is lost or stolen by locating your device, sounding an alarm, or deleting your personal information remotely from the web.
9) G-alarm : is one of my all time favorite applications. I love my sleep and wont easily wake up with the normal alarm on my phone. This ingenious application will ask you to complete a simple game / puzzle before you can snooze/switch off the alarm. Its definitely worth the asking price of €4.99.
10) Flix : useful for finding movie showtimes and information. Cinemo works in the US and Canada. While Flix works in UK, France, Germany, Spain and Italy.
11) Shopping Cart : A simple and intuitive shopping list application for Windows Mobile users. Its a finger friendly application and new features are added frequently by the developer. Requires registration.
12) Samsung Caxixi : Is a versatile accelerometer enabled music application for Samsung Windows Mobile devices. It plays the sounds of a variety of instruments and the sounds are triggered by shaking the phone using a variety of gestures. You can have 5 different sounds mapped to different movements at any given time. See the Youtube Video for more info.
13) Scramble : is a Windows Mobile App for puzzle solvers. If you love a good puzzle then you will love this game. It offers different modes and difficulty and is quite finger friendly. It should work on all screen resolutions: VGA, WVGA, QVGA and WQVGA. Check the video to see the game in action. For $0.99 this app is a must for those boring train ride to work.
This guest post was written by Saijo George, who posts the latest Windows Mobile Apps and News at 1800PocketPC.com. Subscribe to their RSS feed for the latest Windows Mobile Apps.