5 Easy Steps for Better Domain Name Security

Securing your domain name is very essential. Don’t let someone steal and transfer your domain name without your knowledge. You will be surprised how many people are complaining of stolen domain names, and it happens everyday! Here are some simple steps to keep your domain name safe.

1. Lock Domain

Domain locking is the most first basic step to domain name security. Once you lock the domain names, they cannot be transferred till you decide to unlock them. Unlock domain name only before you want to actually transfer them. Your domain name might not be locked by default and you need to check this.

domain lock

Always remember to turn on Domain locking.

domain lock on

2. Two step verification

Its simple to set up and those few minutes of extra effort ensures that your domain name stays secure. Any unauthorized changes will send information via email/phone and you can stop the hackers  in their tracks. [Similar to Gmail 2 step verification]

godaddy 2step verification

3. Update registrant details

A very common problem which does not allow the registrar contact you in case of fraud domain name transfers. We keep on registering domain names, and many times we fail to check the contact details. Wrong emails can prevent you from stopping domain name transfer. See what happened to 9Rules!

4. Whois privacy

Always opt for private registration, which protects your personal details like name, email, address, phone from the public domain. The more people now about the registrant details, the more easy it is for them to track and change it. Private registration comes for a fee, but is totally worth the money. Sometimes free domain privacy is available as in Google Domains.

private registration

5. Autorenew Domains

You will be surprised how quickly the year passes, and your domain name has expired. Always set the domain to autorenew, this will at least ensure continuity of your domain name ownership. Before renewing, any domain name registrars do sent out an email to renew.

autorenew domains

It is even better to register domain for many years (we booked this site for 10 years!) if you really want to keep the domain name. See when Google.com domain was up for sale for $12 only!

Tags »

75 comments on “5 Easy Steps for Better Domain Name Security

1. arta griya says:

thanks for open my eyes with your article i will lock up my domain from now and then

2. Adam says:

Goods tips, but you need to keep an eye out for fake emails, they are the sole reason for domain “hacks”.

3. Mario Nimal says:

Domain name security is actually very important especially if you’re a big business. I didn’t know that there was an auto-renew feature though, so thanks a bunch for pointing that one out.

• Pritam says:

Thanks for the awesome article. I came to know more about domain locking & Domain security. I have 5 blogs. I will lock domains for all of them. Really appreciate the article.

4. vivian dexter says:

Thank you very much for this post…it is indeed a helpful post. I will use this your tips to lock my domain

5. Linda Nelson says:

That’s great idea. It will more helpful us at the time of domain name for security purpose. You can explain it with proper snapshot. Great work.

6. Timara Hikum says:

love the way you provide the benefits of better domain name security. Now in future i will always keep in mind use the above mentioned criteria to upheld the level of my website. Its getting more and more impulsive for the website designers like me.

7. iwan fals says:

The key in domain name registration privacy is to do it with a reputable company that has a good reputation in keeping registrar’s details private. Do not be fooled by what you read on their advertisement pages or on what these domain registrars are promising. Make a lot of researches before you decide on which company you will register your domain names.

8. Aneesh Krishnan says:

I have two websites .but i don’t know more about domain security.This post helped me to Secure my domain.Government should give more punishment to IT criminals.

9. The Windows Fan says:

Really useful for securing your domain with easy steps

10. Syed Usman Hamid says:

Thank you for such beautiful sharing your point of view regarding domain security.Those who do not have the idea about the domain security this post will be very effective for them.

11. panneer says:

By sharing, suggestions to ensure tomorrow is my domain locked to ensure safety.

12. samantaray says:

I say one think you must choose the right top level domain

13. Jessica Gill says:

Thank you for the really quality tips for domain name security. That time security is a serious concern. Your tips really help me.

14. Paul says:

Such an interesting article. It helps me to to get more knowledge about how to secure the domain of my websites. Thank you for sharing.

15. Kavita Mevada says:

check our websites for current news update

16. Pradeep Mishra says:

Thank you very much for this post. Go daddy is the best place for booking & get hosting at Reasonable price .

17. Asif khan says:

Excellent yet effective tips. Security is a very important matter domain name. I’ve been waiting for this kind of tips. Thank you for sharing important tips.

18. Sambhaji says:

Hi P Chandra,

I have a website but i am not aware of domain name security issue, but this information help me a lot to secure my domain name.

19. Razzak Ahmed says:

Thank you for this describe. This post help me to secure my domain.

20. Kuldeep says:

Securing the domain name is must these days. And the tips shared by you are really good to secure the domain.
    Thanks for this share.