How to Save Flash Animation on Web Sites

By Posted 2005 Updated   ComputersTutorials

How can you save flash animation online? Did you find a wonderful shockwave flash animation on the web and wanted to save it. But how to save Flash? Do not buy expensive flash capturing software.. Here is the tip.

Why is saving flash content difficult?

flash playerWhen you right click on a flash animation, you usually get two options – Settings & About Macromedia Flash player. So there is no way to just right click and save a flash animation. Though such a right click and save option is in the works.

Then you may try View>Source and try to locate the flash file and get the source code if you are lucky. But that will also not help, because even if you run it in the web browser again, how will you save it.

There are professional tools and plugins which will help you view and save flash in one go, but for a price. There are several free flash viewers which will only enable you to see flash files located on your computer, but not allow saving flash.

How to Save Flash

Here is the quick fix for Internet explorer in Windows XP I have been using for some time.

Finding the flash file
Open the Internet explorer
Go to Tools > Internet Options
Look for “Temporary internet Files” – click on Settings
Then in the Pop Window, look for “Temporary Internet Files Folder”

Click “View Files”.  This will open the “Temporary Internet Files Folder”. You can sort files by Type by clicking on it. Or by date to see the latest files of you have a large cache. Under the type, you will see several files labelled as “Shockwave Flash Object”. You can right click on file you want, then “Copy”.

Unable to locate the file?
If you have a large number of files and are unable to locate the flash file you want, sort by date such that the latest date is on top. If there are still huge number of files, empty the temporary internet folder (Internet Explorer> Tools> Internet Options> Temporary Internet Files Folder> Delete Files>Delete all Offline content).

Now that your folder is clean, revisit the site and the flash file will be recached into this folder. If your file is lost amongst multiple flash files, then you can click these flash files, but that is best avoided. If you do click, an alert box will pop up. Click on Yes and the flash file will open in your default web browser.

Unable to locate the temporary internet folder?
In Win98-ME – “c:\windows”Win2000-XP
In Win XP-2000 – “c:\documents and settings\user_name\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files”
You can also search for *.swf files from same or higher levels depending on your computer.

See the source…
You can also find the source url of the flash movie easily. Right click the flash file in the temporary internet folder, select properties and it will reveal the full url. Similarly, once you click the file and ok the alert box above, the flash file url will appear in the location box.

Saving the flash file.
Now that you have the .swf shockwave file copied, you need a place to save it. Lets save it on the desktop, the easiest location to find on the computer. Right click on the desktop, and select “Paste”. The .swf flash file will be saved on the computer.

How to see if this file works?
Right click on the file and click > Open with > Internet explorer
and your flash file runs.

NOTE: Please note this is a quick way of saving flash files. Many of these flash files may be copyrighted and its usage may not be allowed by the site owners from which you got the file. So do not go about publishing or embedding these files on your websites.

55 comments on “How to Save Flash Animation on Web Sites

1. Anonymous says:

Good tip – which is useful to know. Thanks!

2. pogenwurst says:

In Mozilla Firefox, just right click anywhere on the page and click “View Page Info” (or find it in the “Tools” menu) and click on the media tab. Then select the desired .swf file from the list and click “Save as…”

• Saqlain says:

Thank u very much .ur suggestion on how to save swf files on mozilla firefox was very helpful.I am currently using it to save a large number of chemical engineering process flash files.Thanks again.

3. firq krumpl says:

as pogenwurst just illustrated, everything is so much simpler with firefox.

4. Qis says:

Or you could just add a button to your IE favorites/toolbar with this url:
    javascript:var url=prompt(“URL to link to:”,”http://”);document.write(‘‘+link+’‘);

– Then use the view-source option to get (copy) the filename of the file.
    – Click the just created button
    – Enter (paste) the URL
    – Right-click the link
    – Save As…

5. Paul says:

If you have the URL of the file you can also feed it to GNU’s wget. There is also a GUI available.

Wget is also extremely useful for almost any other HTTP or FTP retrieval (feed it a file containing a list of links to download, mirror a website, etc).

6. Anarion says:

Would this work for Macromedia Breeze files too? Thanks!

7. PJH's blog says:

Hi, an easy way to save flash from a webpage is saving the page, which results in a html-file and a folder containing the images etc. …and the swf-file

8. dexim says:

All you have to do is;
    1) view source to get the address of the .swf file
    2) go to the address
    3) click on File -> Save As…

9. Meatgrinder says:

In Firefox use adblock to get URL, then use Flashget (Jetcar) click new download, saves right to your desktop in about 10 secs.

10. matt says:

or just do what pogenwurst said, it’s a lot faster…

11. Praetorian_TMOTC says:

I’ve also been using the firefox method to save flash files for a long time now, however there is another method if you insist on using a browser that does not have such features such as *cough* IE.

If you have the address of the flash file, eg. www.site.com/flash.swf, copy-paste it into google, right click on the link google provides, and choose save link as (or whatever it is). Man I

12. Marc says:

What about flash files that won’t play unless they are on the site? Such as “The Adventures of Chad” from gprime.net. I copied them but could not view them again in IE or FFox.

13. M@DM@N says:

i have been using the firefox method, because no self-respecting computer user would use IE anyways. however, if you still use IE, you can download FlashGet. It is a free download manager. You copy the source, open flashget , click on new download, & ur done!

14. Anonymous says:

Just look for “Flash Movie Extract Pilot”. It’s free, and it’s a heck of alot easier to use than doing all that other stuff…

15. Rajeev says:

I’ve been doing this for a while now, since I know HTML and can pick out this stuff easily. I make it much quicker though- I assemble the full URL (from the http:// on) and grab the file with wget so I don’t have to search through all my cache to find the flash file. (wget is only for linux as far as I know, and it’s commmand-line only, but I think I remember doing something a similar a few years back with the Add URL feature of Download Accelerator, back when I was on Windows and dial-up.) Nice writeup though.

16. Nick says:

Don’t suppose anyone knows how to save pictures displayed through a flash interface? Coz I want to get the pages of a webcomic, but view source doesn’t give me any links to the pictures, and as has already been noted, there’s no ‘save as’ feature available on the menu. Even saving the webpage whole doesn’t get the pics.

17. R.Kesavan. says:

Man,
    I have been making ‘no stone unturned’approach so far to learn how to copy a flash file but of no avail until I visited your page, which not only explained how it should be done but also made me float on cloud nine !!
    Thanks,
    R.Kesavan.

18. durga prasad says:

how to add shockwave file in email text message box to forwarding newsletter mail

19. Jesuspower says:

Or you could get the address of the flash file in Opera, and paste it into the Quick Download box in the transfer window.

20. Rianna says:

OK guys if any of the ways you mention work, for what I need I’ll be impressed. Copying the flash off my desktop does not work for what I need it for.

I have been making a few of my own swf files to put on my own website but my website supports html code but now swf html code. So I need a way to save the swf. file as an IMAGE file not the code. So then I can insert the image flash directly into my website. Does anyone know of any software that can do this? Respond on this page and I’ll check back. Hope one of you know the answer. In the meantime I’ll check on all the software that you mention. Rianna

21. Rianna says:

I just went to firefox and there is no way to ask them the question I told you about. So that one is a dead end. If anyone knows the answer to this it would be very helpful to me and many others. Rianna

22. Afridi says:

Great Tip,. I always Used this tip to Save Flash or Internet Radio …..
    In Mozilla anyone can Save Flash Easily….
    how..?
    1: Go To TOOLS Menu and Than Page Info,..
    2: Than Click On Media Tab..
    3: All Flash and Images ‘ll bee shown,..
    4: now click anyflash and Click Save As to Save Enjoy..

Afridi …….. From www.itdunya.com

23. Wrecks says:

1. Copy the URL of the page that contains the Flash animation to the clipboard.

2. Go to: http://javimoya.com/blog/youtube_en.php# and follow the instructions on that page.

24. andrew says:

I just use this with IE, simple to use.

25. gadlaw says:

None of these options work with shockwave files. Opening up page source in Firefox and you get a dcr file in the media folder and it’s locked up tighter than, well tighter than most anything.

26. Armil Velos says:

How about saving dcr files?
    I’ve got trouble in it….

27. TiFFANY says:

THANKS S000 MUCH-! i HAVE BEEN TRYiNG T0 FiGURE 0UT H0W T0 D0 THAT F0REVER. VERRRRY HElPFUl-!

28. NEHAL says:

If you are using Firefox browser, there is one FFextension which allows you to save flash object embedded in the webpage. The link is at https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1993/ However for unknown reasons to me some of saved files are playing blank when played offline. Any ideas what can be reason and solution for the same.
    Thanks

29. Rudi says:

Thanks NEHAL, for the addon info at firefox, it help me alot

30. jason says:

This looks awesome, ill download it for saving some stuff i did a few years ago and dont have acsess to the files no more. Instread of creating them again this will save time.

Thanks

31. vincent says:

great, many thanks

32. flashgameplayer says:

Hi ive been playing alot of flash games and ive used some of the methods used on this form but i have a problem how do i save and play the new DCR 3D flash files? I managed to save the .dcr file but how do i play it back on my pc, offline? the game is a zipzaps racing game that is pretty addicting and i want to save it and play it offline, is there a stand alone flash player for playing DCR flash files offline

33. Bob says:

but how do you get it to play offline what do you need to download. it says its Shockwave Flash Object.

34. sat says:

Hi this trick is really cool….thanx…great work……

35. Mickeyj4j says:

Yea I cant play Shockwave Flash Object files on my computre at all on the net it is fine but off the net I cant play them at all what do i need on my computre to do this can I download the player onto my jcomputre I have IE as we all do but use FF as its better faster and just more user friendly any can you help. Send me a Mail and I will be Happy as I bont have net and usually only can check my Email thanks all.

36. Nooruddeen says:

I know the best way to save swf (shock wava flash) animation file. Open the website on which your desired animation is present. In internet temporary folders all the files will store there temporary just go to C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files on your computer and you will the swf animations file there then copy it on your hard disk location and paste there

thanks & regards

37. RivieraMayaGuy says:

Thanks for that great tip! I too have been puzzled over how to accomplish that. The first 2 times I tried, it worked great but it seems like it doesn’t work every time everywhere.
    Not all of the files are swf, some are flv and other extensions. Does it work for any and all flash documents? Some of the ones I’ve tried to get will let you copy the url but it won’t paste or, you can copy and paste but it still won’t play. Am I missing something here.

Thanks everyone for all of the useful tips here.

38. reshadat says:

The method given here is good….but unfortunately this method cannot save all the files.Use some third party tools to capture flash files.The best one(and free) is to use firefox with “Download Embedded” addon.That would save the users from lots of troubles!

39. saed says:

there is a trick to save such files, if you can not find them under Media Files menu of FireFox, Just try from menu View Source and try to find out the URL of the flash object, then Copy Paste that URL in Address now and now try from menu Tools, Page Info, Media. and then on Falsh object select “Save as..” and here you go.. bingo..

40. wyvernone says:

All these methods work if the .swf file is self-contained, ie. has all of the data it uses embedded within the file.

If the .swf was written to access the net to stream other parameters and resources such as a database, video files, etc. it will not work.

Also some .swf files are written to check that it is run from the original domain and will not work otherwise…

:-(

41. Nicholas says:

Great tutorial, I have never really thought about saving the flash like that. I have always done it by viewing source and then the javascript.

42. sara says:

does any1 knw how to save flash frm BlueMountain??
    id b greatful if any1 cud help me =(

43. phased says:

UNH solutions has the flash saving plugin and the flash player… http://www.unhsolutions.net/

I have used both for a few years..pretty good overall.

44. Edmond says:

Wow thanks! I will try this. I love videobooks such as video biographies of inspiring & successful people which I watch whenever I have time to motivate me. But when I tried to save video bio from Biography.com I used Realplayer but I cannot watch it offline. Realplayer said it cannot detect the format- shockwave flash

45. majid says:

Hi,I run some flash player 9 but when i check my temporary folder i couldnt find any flash fill maybe it hide how can i find it if not available in temporary folder.
    with best regard

46. Edmond says:

Before I only visit You Tube for a few minutes. I’m really glad about Realplayer 11 Webvideo downloader, now I got to watch & enjoy You Tube & Google learning videos more than ever, without the annoying buffering stops. You Tube, you should give Realplayer a portion of you profits. I can even view them offline CONTINUOUSLY! Thanks Realplayer geniuses I hope you include shockwave files next time. Try it it’s free and set preferences to High Definition videos. So clear

47. Aries says:

thanx, very very good post

48. download says:

Download Netscape Navigator or Opera. Open the page with the video or flash vid/game. Load it fully. When loaded make a new tab and type in the address bar ‘about:cache’. Hit enter. Locate file and open in a new tab. In netscape when you open the file in a new tab click on the link again to open it. When file has open in the new tab go to ‘file, save as’ then save the file some where like on the desktop and click save. Open the folder where the file was saved and then open the file. If you don’t have a flash player open it in IE. With this method you can download any media such as vids and flash files.
    Note: this method does not work in IE
    This may work in FireFox but haven’t tried it yet.

49. manohar says:

still there is lot more problem to save the shockwave file to the hard disk bcoz they have .dcr extention how can i play these files

50. Ganymede says:

Please helping me … I try saving a slideshow I created by www.slide.com & followed instructions above … “Finding the flash file
    Open the Internet explorer
    Go to Tools > Internet Options
    Look for Temporary internet Files click on Settings
    Then in the Pop Window, look for Temporary Internet Files Folder …

This functions usally but this time not — I cannot locate the .swf file because there is’nt one. Slide.com makes it impossible for anone to copy their foto slideshow — please I need expert advice … somebdy helping me … advanced thanks !

51. abhi says:

i cannot find temperary files settings

52. Website Design Delhi says:

Hey Great Tutorial!

I though i need any software to download it from any website but i have done it using firefox in few clicks!

Thanks

53. candymagic says:

help me i can save and download the candymagic.swf but when i try to open it all is there is black screen, some games from miniclip that i have saved work but the candy magic game doesn’t.

• ozibite says:

The reason it not working is because, the file has been created either by login to a server that requires username and password to access it. Or it has been created together with scripts to be able to view it. This mean that you have to download/save the actual flash file/game and find out the scripts files location and download it and put together with the flash file for t to work. This could be a challenge to locate the scripts files. Some have multiple script files, which you have to download them all and place them in the right folder location with the flash file to make it work. If you like to find out more how to save flash files and flash games, you can check it here: http://www.webbee.com.au/index.php/learn-share/118-how-come-after-save-flash-file-and-it-not-working

Good luck.