Opera Voice Feature : Talk to Your Web Browser

By Posted 2006 Updated   Tips

I came across this useful Opera web browser feature today. The Opera Voice feature allows the user to control the interface by talking and to have documents read aloud.

You can enable Opera Voice from “Tools” > “Preferences” > “Advanced” > “Voice” and install the voice libraries. Voice is currently offered in English and works on Windows 2000 and XP. A headset with a microphone is required to use Voice.

Highlighting any text, hold the Voice button, and saying “Opera speak” and Opera will read any selected text to you. For a list of voice commands, click on the voice button and say “Opera voice commands”. Now you can use voice commands to have an e-mail or other document read to you easily. You can custmomize Opera with Voice and change the way the browser handles voice input, and you can add your own voice commands in the same way that you can add keyboard shortcuts and mouse gestures. You can now make your own voice interactive pages a few additions to XHTML to allow Opera to speak and listen.

Now that is a cool Opera feature. I can now replace my other text to speech softwares which I use often when I want the talking computer to convert the text to speech and read typed text. It is also useful for the visually disabled internet users and provides web accessibility to them. Get Opera.

13 comments on “Opera Voice Feature : Talk to Your Web Browser

1. brandon cromar says:

i cant get the voice to work at all. when i click enable voice on the ctrl f12 it says you need to download sound libraries. so i did. but it still wouldnt let me activate voice. i did this about 10 times. how do i solve this problem. i find this opera program cool. so i would like it if you replied to me as soon as possible.
    thanks

2. Jc says:

@brandon cromar: You’re probably, like I tried, installing it on a non Win XP computer, which will let you download but not activate.
    If you’re on a Win XP machine go to Tools > Preferences > Advanced > Voice and activate it.
    I must say I didn’t expect much, but I’ve even begun to make my ovn working voice commands for my favorite websites, so if I want Youtube I just holds Scroll Lock and say Opera Youtube :)

• omar says:

Well JC, I tried that manual way already,but for some reason yesterday it was failing. Today opera downloaded the libraries and it didn’t say “download failed,” but when I tried to use the “speak” feature, it told me to download the voice libraries which don’t say “download failed” anymore. It wont work anyways even after I downloaded it that way again, which was like the 100th time. all i want is opera to read my english online essays texts. Is there some special activation method after downloading?

3. Sarah says:

I also can not get the voice option to work and I have XP!

All Opera ever says is “Sorry, I don’t understand”.

I finally just gave up.

4. dave says:

a couple of things i had to do before i got it to work:
    turn on mic and turn up the volume
    set confidence to 1 in advanced preferences
    it works just fine now altho it took me about half an hour to figure it out. now i’m stuck with the problem of uninstalling it, since i don’t really need it. any help out there?

5. Shuwa says:

It says I need to download the libraries, I click OK but after a while the pop-up says “Download Failed”. Is there a way to stop this from happening? If not, is there a manual download for it?

6. bkd says:

me having the same problem, download failed

7. jalloul says:

same problem:

“download failed”

8. Cramer says:

same problem, “download failed”

it downloads 100% and when it looks finished, same thing every time “download failed”

Manual Download option PLEASE!

9. Umit SAYMAN says:

if the reason of failure is OS older than XP, then why don’t they put an alert on this issue. many people downloaded that 10.5 mb voice library numerous times and yet there is no cure.
    Opera must solve this issue.
    No clues on the web page of opera,

10. Normalylike says:

Using XP and I can’t download the voice libraries. It downloads and then fails. Can’t find a manual download on the official site! It’s been happening for years and I can’t find a fix anywhere!

11. joshp1 says: