Tell People to “Click Here” to Increase Click Rates

By Posted 2007 Updated   AdvertisingBlogging

Two ad banners flash on your face when you load a website, one is a graphic animation which you admire while another lesser attractive ad ends by saying “Click here” – which flashing advertising banner are you more likely to click? As netizens are treated to all sorts of dancing images on the web, if they are told to “Click here”, it is more likely to improve click rates.

Copyblogger says that from a copywriting standpoint, it’s a no brainer—it’s been proven time and time again that if you want someone to do something, you’ll get better results if you tell them exactly what to do.

They further share the results of a Marketing Sherpa experiment performed with their newsletter readers to find out if the wording used in hyperlinks could make a difference in clickthrough rates. And the they found that the right two or three click link words can lift clickthrough rates by more than 8%.
* “Click to continue”: 8.53%
* “Continue to article”: 3.3%
* “Read more”: (-)1.8%

Now I know when I spotted this beautiful girl without “Ads by Google”, the CTR would be very low, beacuse the user does not know he needs to click the image to proceed further. Click here to read more ways to increase your Google Adsense CTR. I know you want to click that link.

8 comments on “Tell People to “Click Here” to Increase Click Rates

1. Shankar Ganesh says:

Informative. Time to update the post excerpt tags on my blog from ‘Read more’ to ‘Click here to read more’ :-D

2. Gav says:

This is very true. I have found when I use banner ads the ones that say click here seemed to get clicked on more often the the ones that don’t have it

3. Michael Cruz says:

good post. Do you know if adding “click here” is a violation of adsense tos?

If not, I’m gonna be makings some modifications! Even if it is a violation, it would still seem to be good advice when using other advertising sources.

4. QuickOnlineTips says:

Michael – Suggesting people to click on Adsense ads is a violation of Adsense TOS.

5. Sebastian says:

Great tip. Thanks

6. jagat says:

Good info… was trying to optimize my blog.. thanks for the help.

7. Jonathan says:

Of coarse, this will be useful with other network ads or our affiliate banners. Thanks. But not with adsense as it is against google adsense’s Tos to ask people to click on ads.

8. Rajesh says:

Great idea. Thank you. But Jonathan is also right. I will use this with my affiliate banners.