Who Has Maximum Twitter Followers?

By Posted 2008 Updated   Social MediaTwitter

How many Twitter followers do you have? Twitter has become a buzz word of sorts and as everyone is rushing to grab a twitter account and start microblogging, some famous twitterers have gathered a mass following of thousands of followers. Can you guess who has the maximum number of twitter followers… over 65000!

I checked out TwitDir, a Twitter directory where I could find out the top 100 followed people on Twitter. It reveals @Ijustin (of Tasty Blog Snack), @CNN and @Techcrunch (of Techcrunch), @Leolaporte (of Life of Leo) are topping the charts with 65535 followers each (the exact same number of followers, coincidence or is it a bug!). Maybe I should start following one of them and break the synchrony.

As new twitters, you will realize how difficult it is to get even a few followers. And getting thousands of people to follow each word you say and reply to it… is amazing. It makes you a famous netizen by itself. Do you follow me on Twitter.

27 comments on “Who Has Maximum Twitter Followers?

1. Guillermo says:

I still don’t find any useful thing on Twitter, so I really don’t care how much followers I have.

2. Ed says:

Twitter’s had a lot of hype, and it’s not quite perfect (ex. not planning for more than 65535 followers is just poor planning), but I’ve found it to be useful both for communicating with a number of friends at once, increasing the visibility of sites, and sometimes just gives me a chuckle when my friends post a witty 140 character snippet.

3. Trisha says:

@Guillermo Twitter’s usefulness (i.e. personal value) is not in how many followers you have anyways – it’s in how many people -you- follow. Think of Twitter as a fancy chat room with only the coolest people. Subscribe to feeds of people you want to be like or want to learn from, and you’ll start seeing the value ;)

@Ed And yes, it is excellent for increasing visibility. Somehow, it allows people like me (I’d call myself an underdog) to break through that celebrity wall, AND catch on to things before they become too old to be useful.

I didn’t know the value of Twitter until I really started using it on Feb 5th. At that time, I had 3 followers. Now, I have over 120 (I haven’t logged in today… I’m probably off by about a dozen).

I’m twitter.com/mayobrains by the way ;)

4. Ravi Kapoor says:

Hi there!

Cool article!

BTW, I need a favor from you buddy.

Can you please tell me, which plugin are you using to have that “Related Articles” at the end of your blog posts?

And yes, I follow YOU on twitter :)

Take care!

5. Rodzi says:

Hi Ravi, I think you can check out these 2 plugins that I know of;
    1) “Related Posts” plugin by Malov, Lu & Bourne
    2) “Darren’s Related Posts” plugin by Darren Chamberlain.

Anybody has any other related plugins?

6. Torley says:

I don’t think that “65,536” was the correct # of top followers! Looking at TwitDir today shows numbers a lot lower. Either a lot were lost, or there was inaccurate counting.

7. BobCFC says:

65,536 is the maximum amount you can store using 16bits

(minus 1 because you start at zero)

2,4,6,8,16,32,64,128,256,512,1024,2048,4096,8192,16384,32768,65536

So it’s a programming bug/feature they did to save memory.

8. BobCFC says:

oops 6 shouldn’t be there lol

9. Twitter Ninja says:

Hey all!

Help the Twitter Ninja climb to the top of Twitter and become the most popular out there!

Thanks so much!!

10. Dave Malby says:

There is quantity and then there is quality of the quantity. I have been on twitter for 3 1/2 weeks and hit over 1000 followers today. I figured out how to easily do it, but so what?

You can follow me if you want, I’ll tell you how, after I ask you why? http://twitter.com/Dave_Malby

11. jill says:

Just starting with twitter for my blog. Thanks for the discussion.

12. Internet Strategist says:

How many followers is optimum would clearly depend on what you’re doing there. It would make more sense to only FOLLOW those who post something you can use immediately – and to get FOLLOWERS who want to know what YOU have to share. It appears to me that would indicate the need for multiple Twitter accounts.

13. Robert Harper says:

Hmm.

Well multiple accounts might suggest some kind of vanity publishing of the highest order, or simply a mild, or otherwise, case of schizophrenia.

My musings may not reach many in the long term, but 6 followers in the first few days and Stephen Fry (http://twitter.com/stephenfry) having been my first (and no I don’t know him personally, in any sense), I am enthralled and delighted at venting like a prolific twit.

14. Bull3t says:

I’m guessing the reason it is 65535 is because it is the highest number which can be represented by an unsigned 16 bit binary number. It’s only a guess but it sounds about right. Not sure why there is a limit on Twitter though.

15. SierraBell says:

I followed you.
    There is a great new forum for all twitter friends to hang out at: tinyurl.com/twitaculous

• continuar says:

Come on! Having a real interest in how many followers you have could be, to say the least, awkward. It’s not like you are in a popularity conest (are you?). Even if it is the case, having followers proves nothing at all when it comes to social interaction.

16. Twitter Loco says:

I didn’t think there was a limit?

I’m pretty sure there are atleast 2 people with over 1,000,000 followers. but not sure.

17. jmac says:

no ahston kutcher has ovr 1 million himself

18. Nanang says:

Great! Are they use some machine to boost their followers number?

19. Avi Singh says:

Twitter itself has maximum number of followers
    Check it out http://twitter.com/twitter

20. Keziah says:

I think you’re wrong Kim kardashian has 2 million followers

21. Tajh Jones says:

follow me on twitter @tajhchosen614 or http://twitter.com/TajhChosen614

22. kaye says:

i think barack obama has 3 million plus plus followers..

23. jacky says:

britney spears have the most follower i think so she rock with more than thousands or lakhs of followers and really people love her

24. Part-time-entrepreneur says:

either that or perhaps there is a maximum number of followers tou can have on twitter?

25. Hier klicken says:

Wow!I have visited lots of website over the past couple of days. Upon looking at the posts of each I do think that this specific site was the only one who had grabbed the apex of my interest.Well done