How to Fix Google Search “We’re Sorry” Error Pages

By Updated   GoogleSecurity

Are you getting Google Sorry and ‘We’re Sorry’ automated queries error pages and blocked all search results, as I tried Google search today from a college friend’s computer. They labeled it as an automated search, banned the IP, and only after correctly answering the captcha twice, the normal Google search could be restored... temporarily.

Google We’re Sorry Error Page

Here is what the complete error message looks like

google we are sorry error

We’re Sorry … but your query looks similar to automated requests from a computer virus or spyware application.

Another similar message is

We’re Sorry … but your computer or network may be sending automated queries. To protect our users, we can’t process your request right now.

Google advises that they error so because they think it is similar to automated queries like those from virus or spywares! They advise that users should run antivirus software or spyware remover, but it the error persists then deleting Google cookies will help

Well it was not over yet, after a few search results, the Google search was blocked again. I was tested again for the captchas twice, and the cycle continued like this over till I was online.

Remembering how Google search had marked the entire web as malware earlier, first I thought maybe it was a new bug affecting Google search. But the We’re Sorry error page is a well identified spam blocking technique from Google Search.

Google Automated Queries and IP ban

This message appears when Google detects automated queries from an IP address, which causes a quick traffic spike on google.com. Google explains some possible ways to fix the issue, remove the IP address ban and restore Google search results as usual.

When a computer in the network runs automated queries, it violates Google Terms of Service. This includes using any software that sends queries to Google to determine how a website or webpage ranks on Google for various queries, ‘Meta-searching’ Google or performing ‘offline’ searches on Google.

Remove Google Sorry Errors

Step I – I tried the first and easiest way of deleting cookies from my browser.

If you use Firefox – Go to Tools > Options > Private Data > Clear Now > Check Cookies > Clear Private Data Now

And behold, all the errors were gone and the issue was fixed for me.

Step 2 – If that does not fix the issue, then download any popular anti-malware software like Lavasoft Adaware, or Spybot Search and Destroy, MacScan (for Mac), and run a full system scan to find and remove spyware and malware which could be triggering those automated queries to Google.

Step 3 – If you tested and your computer and network are secure, but you continue to get the Google errors, then send feedback to Google and they will investigate your report and fix the issue.

23 comments on “How to Fix Google Search “We’re Sorry” Error Pages

1. Arun Basil Lal says:

I experienced this probs for the first time today, and initially it got fixed on itself :)

But then it came again and I cleared the cookies and now things are fine.. :)

Thanks for sharing

Arun Basil Lal

2. fortigy says:

I had been receiving this error for several days. I was unable to set up a gmail account, or even check out through Google’s shopping cart at another site. The problem was actually created by my use of alternate DNS servers ( like OpenDNS ). I changed my DNS servers back to my original ISP’s ( handed out by their DHCP servers ) and the problem immediately disappeared.

3. Melissa says:

How do i delete the cookies?
    IT doesnt let me get in the google page! that error message keeps appearing! so how do i delete the cookies?

4. Ariva says:

Thnx It works

5. Jeff says:

No matter what you do, you are going to get this occaisionally or all the time, sooner or later, use it as springboard to another search engine like STARTPAGE.COM that do not use gestapo tactics.

I’m done with google!

6. KC Lowlife says:

I got tired of dealing with this and moved my feeds to NewsGator’s FeedDemon. I actually had to export the opml to a file, import it into bloglines and then imported it into FeedDemon because Google kept refusing to even talk to FeedDemon.

7. Fawad says:

The above problem only stops you from accessing the Google.com(i.e. http://google.com/webhp)

First, make the Google your default-page or home-page (through browser settings,) if you are using Mozilla-Firefox or Google-Chrome then type text to search i.e. “Barrons GRE,” where you type the URL (url textbox at the top of your browser window) you will then be redirected to the normal Google page with search results.

I guess this should help ease your life if you are having this problem and can’t seem to figure out how to fix it :)

8. Bisnis Syariah Online says:

i’m scanning my PC right now, hope fix the problem

9. Ranjit says:

Thanks it’s good Suggestion

10. Kenneth says:

thanks :)

11. angela says:

We followed the steps: How to remove google Search We’re sorry errors, but when we went to Firefox and went to tools>options>Private Data. (well that’s where we had to stop because it didn’t have private data, it had privacy. Can someone help us with this problem. We are no computer wiz. Help

12. Emerica says:

Ok. i fixed it i tried the 3 steps and nothing work and here is the solution:
    1- (firefox) Go to options then click “Advanced”
    2- click in Network Tab
    3- click in Settings (in Connection the first option)
    4- And select the option “No proxy”
    Is how i fixed it :D

13. Bhaavan says:

For a single computer its fine to clear cookies and clearing cache.
    But in a work-group of 35-40 Computers How can i solve this problem ??
    In this Group browse are using with page rank, Web rank, seo tool-bars, alexa traffic, moz-bar plugins and extensions are using they are unable to work with out this toolbars.
    How can i Fix Google Search “We’re Sorry” Error Pages

• David says:

We had to restart our Terminal-Server in Order to get this fixed. We have a static IP on it though. Don’t really know why this solution worked and how long this will last but now the google search works again

14. Sep says:

i have same problem with mozilla firefox v 20, i was delete my cookies, cache and history but when i search something still like that..
    How to fix it in mozilla firefox 20???
    Thanks before..

15. Shamil says:

Thanks dude..
    Clearing cookies solved my problem.
    God bless you.

16. oriah n sepuba says:

HELP ME TO ACCESS MY GOOGLE GMAIL AND COOKIES AND ATHERS.PLEASE FIX EVERYTHING

17. Tekek Ireng says:

i hope, thats can make fixed, thanks

18. Shreyas says:

Just uninstall any suspicious Addons from either chrome or firefox

19. Wahyu says:

Commonly it happens when you try to search something by typing the word or phrase onto the url/addess bar of browser. First try to open the http://www.google.com and enter your keyword in the search box there, not on the web address box. Hope this is relevant and helps. Thanks!

20. Aivars Zindulis says:

I’ve meet this problem several times, and wrote this after 1st time when I’ve meet this problem ON FRESHLY INSTALLED PC. So – fresh Windows 7 simply CAN’T contain automated query sending software, didn’t You agree? Why I’ve got this annoying message? I make decision: My Internet provider use wide range of clients under shared IP adress. Approximately several hundreds of thousands PC, when are connected to Internet through mobile connections can made situation, when each second Google get hundreds of queries. It’s possible?
    I solve this problem with one method: change default search provider in all browsers. Simply change Google to Bing or one of others. It work’s, but Google search lose their clients. Stupid situation.

By the way, all other suggested methods there (deleting cookies, anti-malware, and, especially, Google feedbacks) won’t work. Google feedback simply ignore Your feedbacks, new computers DON’T HAVE bad cookies and malware.

21. Arnold says:

I used firefox but my search engine was google.. And I got this google error “We’re sorry”
    what I did was this step.

Google says…

“We’re sorry” fix it with this steps

FOR FIREFOX USER AND GOOGLE SEARCH ENGINE.

1. Go to “tools”

2. choose “options”

3. Under “Privacy”

4. uncheck “Use Tracking Protection in Private WIndows”

5. Restart