How To Backup and Restore WordPress Database

By Posted 2009 Updated   BloggingDomain HostingGuest PostsTutorialsWordPress

How can you backup and restore your WordPress blog database? If you’ve been blogging long enough, you might have heard the words “Backup Your WordPress Database Regularly!” Well, this is quite true. Don’t take it with a pinch of salt! A healthy backup of your database could one day be THE ONLY means of restoring your blog should something go wrong such as a bad plug-in installation or an attack by blog hackers.

For a second time since I started blogging, this database backup of a thing, as some would call it, has saved me a lot of headache. Recently I messed up my blog’s permalink structure and my saving grace was the day before’s database backup.

DISCLAIMER: This tutorial is provided as it is. I shall not be held responsible in any way should you encounter problems like loss of database and entire blog/website along the way. Use this at your own discretion. It worked EXCELLENTLY well for me and should do the same for you hopefully!

How to Backup WordPress Database.

1.  Download, install and activate WordPress Database Backup available at austinmatzko.com/wordpress-plugins/wp-db-backup/

2. Go to Tools in the sidebar of your dashboard and click on Backup

wordpress-restore-01

Under Backup options as shown below, select “Download to your computer” and click on “Backup Now”. When the backup is done you’ll be given an option to choose where to save the backup. Save the backup and you’re done.

wordpress-restore-02

Note: I strongly advice you schedule a daily backup of your database as issues could arise at ANY TIME. Simply navigate down the Backup option page to Scheduled backup. Select the once daily option and select which tables you’d like included in the backup. Type in your email address, click the schedule backup button and all is well. Check to see if your first backup gets delivered successfully the next day.

wordpress-restore-03

How To Restore WordPress Database

The guide below will help you restore your database in no time using the backups that have been made in the past. I’m assuming that your current database has been damaged or is behaving erratically.

1. Log into your FTP account and Delete everything in the /wp-content/cache directory.

2. Log into PHP MyAdmin and select your wordpress database.  It’s mandatory you remember clearly well the name of your wordpress database especially if you auto-installed it using Fantastico.

wordpress-restore-04

A list of all of the tables contained in the database will be shown. As shown below, click on Check all to select all the tables then select the Drop option to delete them PERMANENTLY.

wordpress-restore-05

You’ll be prompted to confirm the Drop action

wordpress-restore-06

Choose Yes and all tables will be DELETED with this result displayed on your computer screen

wordpress-restore-07

Now that the database for wordpress is empty, let’s proceed to uploading our database backup file

wordpress-restore-08

Click on the Import menu as shown above and then browse to the location of the backup file as shown below. Once you’ve done that, click on go and wait for the upload process to finish.

wordpress-restore-09

A successfully database restoration will show you something similar to the message below

wordpress-restore-10

Once the whole restoration process is done, log into your dashboard and make sure everything is working okay. Don’t forget to browse your site to see if it’s functioning as expected.

This guest post was written by Udegbunam Chukwudi who shares make money online and blogging tips on strictlyonlinebiz.com, his PR 2 dofollow blog. You can also write a guest article and share your WordPress tips.

This is a guest article and represents opinions of the guest author

19 comments on “How To Backup and Restore WordPress Database

1. web-designer-s.com/blog @Sasha Antich says:

This is nice tip for wordpress owners in the case when something goes wrong.

2. Andy Brudtkuhl says:

If you are looking for a backup solution that is not manual – AKA one you will actually use – try the CloudBacks WordPress Backup Plugin. It backs up both files and database to Amazon S3 automatically daily, weekly, or monthly.

3. Udegbunam Chukwudi says:

@Andy Brudtkuhl: Thanks for the tip.

4. Myhouse says:

I’m working on that plugin also :)

5. PPC Tips says:

It is important to back up your database on a regular basis. You never know when something could go wrong.

6. Blog Tips says:

backing up is one thing we must never forget or else you’d regret it when unexpected thing happens

7. Paul Hanna says:

Back up is very important, i lost a years blogging because i was hacked. I recommend backing up your word press files too

8. Debajyoti Das says:

BUT, sometimes database prefix name varies on a new wordpress installation.

We have to make sure that the tables names match…

One can find the table names in wp-config file under root.

9. Tony says:

A lot of tutorials I have read related to this topic always contain numerous steps that ultimately deter me from really taking the whole process seriously. Hopefully, simpler is better. Thanks for sharing.

10. Jeremy says:

Thanks for sharing mate ;)

11. Hpnotik Qrwe says:

Apparently this is one of the best ways to backup your wordpress website database tables. I have been using this plugin wp-backup since my very first installation. It is pleasant of you to demonstrate how all this works as many beginners are ignorant to backing up and restoring files and databae.

– Hpnotik Qrew

12. Kamal Hasa says:

This is something very important for new bloggers who get into the trouble of messed up database sometime due to various plugins ;)

13. QuickOnlineTips says:

You wont be disappointed with WordPress.

14. Website Backup says:

Your solution to backup a wordpress database is manual, or if you use the sending to email it does not manage the server maximum upload size. There are scripts like Website 2 Backup to do automated and encrypted website files and databases backup stored to ftp, emails, or locally.

15. Prashant says:

i uploaded my database… but i can see only post and not the themes and plugins???

what to do…???

16. MUF says:

Very nice… thanks for this article! I think it takes constant reminding to back up your database. I only had one copy of mine prior to reading this!

17. Secrets of Successful Traders says:

Great tutorial! I had some problems with my site, but you solved the problem ;)
    I like tutorials with screenshots.

18. Ajay | symplyfyd.com says:

thosand thnx thnx for this tutorial bro…i have created my backup..only one question i would like to know is what is the average size of backup…i was shocked to see that the bakup that i created is only 2 kb in size..plz help me out..

19. Cebu Tech Blogger says:

Anyone here tried using the automatic backup through Dropbox? When restoring the WP backup it returns an error like this:
    #1064 – You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ‘wordpress’ at line 5

Been on this mess for 3 days already, and I’m desperately looking for the solution. If you have any idea, that would be highly appreciated. Thanks!