How is iPad different from iPad Mini? Is the iPad Mini just a small iPad? While Apple would like you to believe that the iPad Mini is just a smaller version of the iPad with Retina display, there are some key differences which you need to know before you buy iPad Mini. Is it every inch an iPad?
The iPad Mini is not every inch an iPad. But it is an amazing gadget to own at a much lower price! While the Wifi model of iPad starts at $499, the iPad mini costs much cheaper at $329 only.
iPad Mini vs. iPad
Here are some key differences, advantages and disadvanatages of the iPad Mini compared to the iPad.
- Smaller size – Obviously the iPad Mini has a smaller size at 7.87 inches x 5.3 inches, while the iPad has a size of 9.50 inches x 7.31 inches. It is much easier to hold and use, not to mention it will easily fit in any large pocket, and not burden it with weight.
- Thinner – The iPad mini is just 0.28 inch (7.2 mm) thick, which is a full 2.2 mm thinner than the iPad which is 0.37 inch (9.4 mm) in depth. This makes it much lighter also and a pleasure to hold.
- 2x Lighter – The iPad Mini is 0.68 pound (308 g) in weight, which is more than half as light to hold than the iPad at 1.44 pounds (652 g). So it is much lighter to hold in one hand and browse the web.
- Smaller Screen – iPad mini has a smaller screen which is 7.9 inches diagonally, compared to the iPad which has a 9.7 inches diagonal length. This makes it easy to type with both thumbs easily.
- Slower Processor – A key difference between iPad and iPad mini is that the Mini has an A5 processor, which is slower than the Dual-core A6X with quad-core graphics processor that powers the iPad with retina display. Since it is a smaller product, it runs well with the slower processor, maitaining the same battery life.
- Nano SIM – the iPad mini features a Nano SIM which is much smaller than the iPad’s Micro SIM (for your wifi+cellular version). Your new iPad mini will not work with your existing micro-SIM cards, so you cannot just switch your iPad SIM to your iPad Mini.
- No Retina Display – This is the feature everyone is looking for in iPad Mini 2 (and most probably they will fix this). The iPad mini currently does not have the retina display which the iPad boasts of. So your icons and text will not appear as sharp, especially if you like to zoom the text and images a lot. iPad mini has a resolution of 1024×768 resolution at 163 pixels per inch (ppi), compared to iPad with 2048×1536 resolution at 264 pixels per inch (ppi). But the 1024×768 display means you can browse websites in full size just like in your laptops web browser.
So if you are out shopping for iPad Mini, keep these differences in mind.