How to Share Articles in Google Reader on Twitter

By 01-12-2008   BloggingGuest PostsSocial MediaTwitter

Can you share your best articles from Google reader on Twitter? If you love connecting and sharing with friends and want to share all your favorite blog posts and other articles with your friends on Twitter, here is a cool trick for you.

I hope that Google Reader is your default feedreader. Open your shared items page from the left navigation section.

google reader shared

Now focus on the URL of this page in the address bar. Look for your Google profile ID here (skip the %2F). Google Profile ID is the unique number corresponding to you. Note down this number.

google reader url shared

Now, log-in to Twitterfeed and enter your Twitter account details. In the RSS section, Enter the URL:

Fill the other relevant fields.
Twitter Shared

And, you are done!

Now, whatever you share in Google Reader will be automatically posted in your Twitter Updates and hence, your friends can follow these stuff. I will suggest you to use Note in Reader Bookmarklet, which will make sharing webpages easier. Cheers :)

Guest author ArpitNext is a full-time devotee of Technology and Web Apps and writes his blog at blog.arpitnext.com. If you have some tips to share, write a guest article on QOT.

This is a guest article and represents opinions of the guest author

22 comments on “How to Share Articles in Google Reader on Twitter

1. KateC says:

I tried to do this, created my google account, I have lots of design blogs that I keep up to date with and thought it would be worth sharing them with my friends and it says “We couldn’t parse this feed. Please check that you entered the correct feed URL” under the url for my google feed the url is from the share items page – Am i doing something wrong?

• David Bruce Jr says:

What browser were you doing the sharing attempt with?

Perhaps use firefox or something other than IE?

2. Mike Smith says:

I get the same error as KateC when I try this.

3. Mike Smith says:

@KateC – did you add anything to your shared items yet? If not, thats why it’s not working (from what I can tell) I added one item, and it is now working properly.

4. Noodlescape says:

Nice tip :)
    Very useful, I never would have figured that out on my own!

5. ArpitNext says:

@KateC : Hoping that you have got the solution now!

@Mike : Thanks for clarifications :)

6. Quakeboy says:

Just adding my point to make this process easier..On your google reader page, click shared items.

On the right side you can see a link – See your shared items page in a new window. Click that.

You will see a page with all your shared items like a blog almost. On the right side you can see the ATOM link. You can right click and copy paste it.

I found this easier to do and less confusing than the above copy paste method.

7. B. Moore says:

anyone know of a way to remove or change the text that greader adds to your shared items as well as the text that twitterfeed adds? just seem to me that each app adds unneeded information. all i want is to share+note a item in greader that twitterfeed will post to twitter

8. Jen says:

Twitter only picks up one share item at a time, even if you set twitterfeed to 5. Any ideas why this is happening and how to fix it?

9. Alpay says:

Thanks, saved me a ton of tinkering :)

10. Sun says:

I’m looking for something like Twuffer that schedules future tweets (say one tweet per hour) but gets the tweets from Google Reader and shortens the URL to the actual article.