How to Fix Apple iPad Wi-Fi Network Connection Problems

By 07-04-2010   AppleTutorials
Tweet Share Email Share

Many new Apple iPad users are experiencing iPad WiFi problems like poor wi-fi network connection, weak signal strength, fluctuating signal and variable wifi speeds. Here are some possible troubleshooting solutions that might get your iPad internet connection started.

No WiFi Network

wi-fi

• Locate WiFi networks in your area – Go to Settings > Wi-Fi screen. If there are no networks, then maybe there is no Wi-fi coverage there.
  • You maybe ouside range of  the Wi-Fi router or hotspot. Shift near the router. Get a clear line of sight.
  • Verify Wi-Fi router is turned on. Many times its too simple.
  • Verify Wi-Fi router is connected to the internet cable. Loose cables are common.
  • Private networks may not show up. Go to Settings > Wi-Fi > Other and enter the Wi-Fi network name, security, and password to connect.

iPad Not Connecting Wi-Fi Network, Internet not working

• Locate the correct Wi-Fi network. Many times there are multiple Wi-Fi networks available and you need to choose thje right one for optimum internet speed and connectivity.
  • Coffee shops, airports, internet cafes etc. many times don’t offer free Wi-Fi networks. To run internet on such subscription wifi networks, you need to ask them for local wi-fi connectivity for a charge.
  • Configure network-specific settings – like IP address, DNS, and Search Domain settings. Maybe someone tampered with yoru iPad settings.
  • Use “Renew Lease” to acquire new IP address, DNS, and Search Domain information from the Wi-Fi network.
  • Turn off iPad – then restart. Things might automagically work.
  • Turn Wi-Fi router off and then on again. It might just need a reset.
  • Disable wireless encryption / security on the Wi-Fi router –  if it works this means there are encryption issues. Change the security protocol and try again.
  • Configure your Wi-Fi router to use a single WEP key.
  • If nothing works, turn off Wi-Fi and use the cellular data plan – that will at least work if you got a data plan.

Dropped / Fluctuating / Weak iPad Wi-Fi Signal

• Move closer to the wi-fi router signal. Get clear line of sight.
  • Reduce active Bluetooth wireless devices near your ipad
  • Change channels on your wireless network to use 2.4 and 5GHz channels with the least interference.
  • Reduce interefence by mobile phones, cordless phones, metals, power lines, microwave ovens, wireless speakers, other wireless devices including AirPort and Bluetooth devices.
  • Remove iPad from cover, remove any attachments that might be intefering.

iPad not automatically connecting known Wi-Fi networks

• Create separate Wi-Fi network names to identify each band (for Wi-Fi routers that are dual-band capable). Add some characters to the current network name. Example:  Add a G to the 802.11b/g network name and an N to the 802.11n network name. (source)
  • In third-party Wi-Fi routers that are dual-band capable, ensure that both networks use the same security type (WEP, WPA, WPA2 etc.)
  • Reset your network settings – Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. This will reset all network settings, including passwords, VPN, and APN settings.
  • Update Wi-Fi router for firmware or software updates.

That should get your iPad wi-fi started easily. Check it out. Share your tips.

Advertisements

29 comments on “How to Fix Apple iPad Wi-Fi Network Connection Problems

1. Thanks fir sharing this tip. I had bought a brand new apple ipad and i had problem with connecting it to internet. Thank you very much.

2. Kam says:

Sounds crazy but turn off auto brightness in the settings and increase the screen brightness. Like I said, sounds crazy but works!

3. victor says:

Hello, My Ipad can connect to the wi-fi but the internet acces cannot work. I think the solution you have given not solve my problem. Sorry bad english. So what must i do?

• marcie says:

have same problem at school can get on WIFI but stops at the internet will try to take cover is to see if signal gets better

4. Cyrus says:

Hi guys, i had problems with ipad internet in library but after i instaled “tap plus” to get more tabs, somehow my library internet problem seems to be gone. Try it out it might work for you too!

5. Mike says:

I’ve had my iPad + WiFi now 2 weeks and have exhausted trying to get it to connect to the internet via my network. It gets as far as the network and shows the appropriate symbol but refuses to log on to the internet connection. All other (3) wireless computers in the house log on with no trouble none being Apple/Mac systems. Is this a major problem with the latest iPads? Apple are not known for their detailed instructions so I have not seen their response to this problem yet, has anyone else? Bye the way the Bluetooth does connect (symbol shows) but once paired will not function although my mobile can see the iPad….very frustrating!

6. rogueman says:

I had the same ïnternet connection is down issue, while the wifi network was found and I had a signal from the network. Go to “general settings” under the “settings” icon. On the bottom right you find the option to restore certain settings to factory, such as network connections. After reconnecting after this to my wifi network everything worked smoothly again!

7. Mike says:

Thanks for the tip on factory reset. I think it leads to much the same as I’ve eventually found; and that is the settings for DHCP are not always correct when automatically found and this can give access to the network but none to the internet. I manually reset the network router along with the iPad to find a completely different set of detail in the DHCP WiFi setup on the iPad. It still didn’t work until I switched HTTP to OFF, then suddenly the world of iPad lit up. I hope I have the same success with Bluetooth. Thanks again

8. Bill says:

iPad changes to guest network on occasion. It has even changed to another network in neighborhood. My wives iPad does not do this. Settings seem to be the same.

9. John Hanson says:

I just bought my new Apple Ipad 32Gb. I am not able to connect to internet. I have my laptop right beside me and the signal is very good. I have tried all the above and still have no signal or service to it. I have good signal as that is not the problem. My daughter tried this last week in the states when I bought it but I am now at our home in Haiti and it will not recogonize the service I have. I have the same as I had in WV in our home there. (Hughes net). Can you give me some advice. If I can”t get a signal on it, is no good to me here. $800. gone.

10. Keomi says:

I was having the same issue where i was connected to a Wi fi network but simply not connected to the internet . i turned off the auto brightness and increased the brightness manually … then i tried to connect to my e mail and it worked… so thanks a lot Kam.

11. Carla says:

Just got Ipad last night, am unable to connect to my wireless network, have tried resetting, the brightness trick, any other ideas??

12. I very glad to find this site on bing, just what I was searching for : D also bookmarked .

13. There are some attention-grabbing closing dates in this article however I don’t know if I see all of them heart to heart. Theres some validity however I will take maintain opinion till I look into it further. Good article , thanks and we want more!

14. gajendra54 says:

Have tried all that’s written above, the stupid thing still doesnt work. First time making a switch from PC to apple since I got it as a gift, am really very disappointed.

15. AJH says:

I had exactly this problem, i.e. Full wifi signal showing but no connection to the internet and all other wifi devices in the house working finr, including an iPod Touch.

I simply unplugged my router, and plugged it straight back in and let it boot itself up, then reset the iPad via the red slider and all is working perfectly again :)

16. D Driggs says:

Was able to make the Wi-Fi connection, but no Internet access. Followed the tip to reset network settings and I’m back in business. Thanks for the help!

17. Pallavi says:

Well, I have this Google android tablet that hasn’t come into india yet.
    But we tried to connect a Tata Photon Plus connection. Apparently.. They said that I can use only Wi-Fi.
    Which will need a LAN router.
    So now I cant use the tablet anywhere around India.
    Is there anything you can do to help please ?
    And what can I do to connect it to the tablet ?

18. Juan says:

SOLTUION WEIRD CASE HIDDEN 406 ERROR
    I change my ISP and the IPAD was connecting but it cant surf the web. so i tried everthing and finally i discovered that the 406 error is not being displayed on SAFARI. it only says the ipad is not connected to internet. SO if you are connected to the wifi and get this error is something related to the 406 error and you can talk with your ISP or create a Proxy or use a Proxy on your IPAD, that works for me

19. MarP says:

My problem was that I could connect to every other wifi network except in my home. I tried everything and lastly I unplugged my router and then turned it back and now it works. Thanks!!!

20. Chris Pratt says:

Had problems with my IPAD 2; connected no problem to router (Netgear DG834G v3) but not to my ISP (AOL). Problem eventually solved by turning off WEP at router; it then connected to ISP. Afterwards re-instated WEP and all is working fine.

21. bluemom says:

i have the same problems as the others. my iPad 2 connects to my wi-fi but cannot connect to the internet, but on my laptop it clearly says that it has internet access. it happened when my itunes started to freeze, i don’t know what’sgoing on really because i’m not a techie person.

22. My I pad shows connected to my Wi-Fi with a tick mark. any page is not opening & comment comes
    that :Safari cannot open the page as it is not connected to internet: Kindly advise solution.

23. James says:

I have tried all of the tips above but my iPad just won’t get a good connection to any wifi router. At my school we have iPads and everyone else gets a fast and good connection but mine is slow unless I am sitting right next to the router. At home I get full bars of internet on my iPod in my room but on my iPad I get none. My sister can sit right next to me and she gets full bars and I get none. My iPad used to have great connection to any wifi network but know it sucks. Could somebody please help. :(

24. Michelle says:

Thank You! So very much for the vigorous information. It was extensively helpful hard yet so easy all I had to do is shut it off and turn it back on, It worked my iPad is now connected to wifi as we speak.

25. Marie says:

Ever since I updated my iPad to the new iOS I cannot print out anything on my wireless printer. All I get is blank paper. Why?

26. Anne says:

I just bought an Ipad air two days ago. I was able to connect it to Wi-Fi when I was in a hotel, but when I try to connect it to Wi-Fi at home… it does not happen. I go to Settings, select Wi-Fi, and “Not Connected” appears. I cannot even get to select to possible connections. My son was able to use his android last week, using the home Wi-Fi. What am I doing wrong?