How to Fix Apple iPad Wi-Fi Network Connection Problems

By 07-04-2010   AppleTutorials

Many new Apple iPad users are experiencing iPad WiFi problems like poor wi-fi network connection, weak signal strength, fluctuating signal and variable wifi speeds. Here are some possible troubleshooting solutions that might get your iPad internet connection started.

No WiFi Network

wi-fi

• Locate WiFi networks in your area – Go to Settings > Wi-Fi screen. If there are no networks, then maybe there is no Wi-fi coverage there.
  • You maybe ouside range of  the Wi-Fi router or hotspot. Shift near the router. Get a clear line of sight.
  • Verify Wi-Fi router is turned on. Many times its too simple.
  • Verify Wi-Fi router is connected to the internet cable. Loose cables are common.
  • Private networks may not show up. Go to Settings > Wi-Fi > Other and enter the Wi-Fi network name, security, and password to connect.

iPad Not Connecting Wi-Fi Network, Internet not working

• Locate the correct Wi-Fi network. Many times there are multiple Wi-Fi networks available and you need to choose thje right one for optimum internet speed and connectivity.
  • Coffee shops, airports, internet cafes etc. many times don’t offer free Wi-Fi networks. To run internet on such subscription wifi networks, you need to ask them for local wi-fi connectivity for a charge.
  • Configure network-specific settings – like IP address, DNS, and Search Domain settings. Maybe someone tampered with yoru iPad settings.
  • Use “Renew Lease” to acquire new IP address, DNS, and Search Domain information from the Wi-Fi network.
  • Turn off iPad – then restart. Things might automagically work.
  • Turn Wi-Fi router off and then on again. It might just need a reset.
  • Disable wireless encryption / security on the Wi-Fi router –  if it works this means there are encryption issues. Change the security protocol and try again.
  • Configure your Wi-Fi router to use a single WEP key.
  • If nothing works, turn off Wi-Fi and use the cellular data plan – that will at least work if you got a data plan.

Dropped / Fluctuating / Weak iPad Wi-Fi Signal

• Move closer to the wi-fi router signal. Get clear line of sight.
  • Reduce active Bluetooth wireless devices near your ipad
  • Change channels on your wireless network to use 2.4 and 5GHz channels with the least interference.
  • Reduce interefence by mobile phones, cordless phones, metals, power lines, microwave ovens, wireless speakers, other wireless devices including AirPort and Bluetooth devices.
  • Remove iPad from cover, remove any attachments that might be intefering.

iPad not automatically connecting known Wi-Fi networks

• Create separate Wi-Fi network names to identify each band (for Wi-Fi routers that are dual-band capable). Add some characters to the current network name. Example:  Add a G to the 802.11b/g network name and an N to the 802.11n network name. (source)
  • In third-party Wi-Fi routers that are dual-band capable, ensure that both networks use the same security type (WEP, WPA, WPA2 etc.)
  • Reset your network settings – Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. This will reset all network settings, including passwords, VPN, and APN settings.
  • Update Wi-Fi router for firmware or software updates.

That should get your iPad wi-fi started easily. Check it out. Share your tips.

29 comments on “How to Fix Apple iPad Wi-Fi Network Connection Problems

1. Thejas kamath says:

Thanks fir sharing this tip. I had bought a brand new apple ipad and i had problem with connecting it to internet. Thank you very much.

2. Kam says:

Sounds crazy but turn off auto brightness in the settings and increase the screen brightness. Like I said, sounds crazy but works!

3. victor says:

Hello, My Ipad can connect to the wi-fi but the internet acces cannot work. I think the solution you have given not solve my problem. Sorry bad english. So what must i do?

• marcie says:

have same problem at school can get on WIFI but stops at the internet will try to take cover is to see if signal gets better

4. Cyrus says:

Hi guys, i had problems with ipad internet in library but after i instaled “tap plus” to get more tabs, somehow my library internet problem seems to be gone. Try it out it might work for you too!

5. Mike says:

I’ve had my iPad + WiFi now 2 weeks and have exhausted trying to get it to connect to the internet via my network. It gets as far as the network and shows the appropriate symbol but refuses to log on to the internet connection. All other (3) wireless computers in the house log on with no trouble none being Apple/Mac systems. Is this a major problem with the latest iPads? Apple are not known for their detailed instructions so I have not seen their response to this problem yet, has anyone else? Bye the way the Bluetooth does connect (symbol shows) but once paired will not function although my mobile can see the iPad….very frustrating!

6. rogueman says:

I had the same ïnternet connection is down issue, while the wifi network was found and I had a signal from the network. Go to “general settings” under the “settings” icon. On the bottom right you find the option to restore certain settings to factory, such as network connections. After reconnecting after this to my wifi network everything worked smoothly again!

7. Mike says:

Thanks for the tip on factory reset. I think it leads to much the same as I’ve eventually found; and that is the settings for DHCP are not always correct when automatically found and this can give access to the network but none to the internet. I manually reset the network router along with the iPad to find a completely different set of detail in the DHCP WiFi setup on the iPad. It still didn’t work until I switched HTTP to OFF, then suddenly the world of iPad lit up. I hope I have the same success with Bluetooth. Thanks again

8. Bill says:

iPad changes to guest network on occasion. It has even changed to another network in neighborhood. My wives iPad does not do this. Settings seem to be the same.

9. John Hanson says:

I just bought my new Apple Ipad 32Gb. I am not able to connect to internet. I have my laptop right beside me and the signal is very good. I have tried all the above and still have no signal or service to it. I have good signal as that is not the problem. My daughter tried this last week in the states when I bought it but I am now at our home in Haiti and it will not recogonize the service I have. I have the same as I had in WV in our home there. (Hughes net). Can you give me some advice. If I can”t get a signal on it, is no good to me here. $800. gone.

10. Keomi says:

I was having the same issue where i was connected to a Wi fi network but simply not connected to the internet . i turned off the auto brightness and increased the brightness manually … then i tried to connect to my e mail and it worked… so thanks a lot Kam.