Batch Categories WordPress Plugin : Bulk Edit Your Categories

By Posted 2007 Updated   BloggingWordPress

This is the latest wordpress plugin I am playing with. Want to power edit your categories in a flash? Still editing category allocation to each blog post manually? I found this lesser known amazing wordpress plugin called Batch Categories that will sort out your WordPress categories in bulk instantly. This WordPress plugin lets you batch edit categories that is, assign multiple posts to a category, or delete multiple posts from a category, in one quick go.

Installation is easy. Simply upload the batch-categories folder to your wp-content/plugins folder, activate the plugin in the admin panel, and that’s it. The administration screen itself is at Manage > Batch Categories. They strongly recommend you back up your wp_post2cat table before doing anything rash with this plugin.

I have been looking for such a plugin ever since I switched from Blogger to WordPress. Though the blogger import was easy, I was left with hundreds of posts in the uncategorized / miscellaneous category and had to manually go through each post to allot a category. This would have been easy had I found batch categories before.

Even now when I create a new category and need to allot that category to multiple posts, I need to do it manually. This plugin will do that job in seconds. Truly amazing! I wonder why it is not incorporated in WordPress by default. Maybe I should suggest this.

See more WordPress plugins I use.

Update: WP-Cats is another WordPress plugin that aids in mass category management. WP-Cats augments the Manage Posts screen with Ajax controls that allow two-click adding and single-click removing of categories from individual posts.

13 comments on “Batch Categories WordPress Plugin : Bulk Edit Your Categories

1. freakitude says:

Great plugin. Thanks for sharing.

2. David Bradley says:

I just imported my old Sig Figs blog into a WordPress install on my www.sciencetext.com domain (and then pointed the new Blogger account to that domain (works as a 301 redirect and I get all the benefits of my own hosting etc without losing PR).

Anyway, all the posts, just a few dozen at the moment, admittedly, were pulled in as uncategorized. So, I gave this plugin a try to see if I could batch edit them. Unfortunately, I just couldn’t get it to work. Then, I remembered, delete a category and all posts revert to default!

So, I created a new default category with a useful name, and then deleted “uncategorized” as a category. All posts fell into line in the new default category. All the old blogger posts were same category as required.

Job done.

Now, as I post new stuff, I’ll simply apply whichever new category I need to that post and all should be hunky dory.

db

3. QuickOnlineTips says:

That is a nice tip David. I am sure many of us forgot these basics of WordPress categories. This can be very useful for quick single category allocation.

4. Solomon Broad says:

I love this plugin. It’s made my life so much easier!

5. Karim Baz says:

I’m gonna give this a try. If it works that would be great.

6. Aziz says:

@David: You could have very well just renamed the category.

7. Maxwell says:

Dudes, thanks for this plugin! I’m in the process of moving my MaxTheITpro Blogger blog over to MaxTheITpro.com and desperately need this tool.

Let’s see how it goes. :-)

Cheers!

8. Joenel says:

Will this work on wordpress 2.8?

9. Sal says:

can your plugin can move numbers of category in one parent category ? i have no luck looking this kind of plugin

10. Dylan says:

I’m looking for a way to quickly remove a category from dozens of posts, and thought that the Batch Categories plugin might be able to do this. (batch edit posts in wordpress 3.5.1 only allows for adding categories to batches of posts, but not removing them).

I looked for Batch Categories plugin in the WordPress plugins repository, but it didn’t come up. Is this plugin still active?

• P. Chandra says:

The plugin still seems to be active, but not updated. A fast way would be to go the Category > All Posts in Category > Bulk Edit. Maybe if you have smaller categories – you can delete category and re-add the category to specific posts. Should be faster.

11. denverwahn says:

Here comes a very good alternative: