Microsoft has released Silverlight 2 and now promises more amazing media experiences and rich Internet applications (RIAs) on the Web. Powered by solid new features, Microsoft encourages developers and designers to try out the new version.
What is Microsoft Silverlight?
Microsoft Silverlight is a tool which allows designers and developers to create rich Internet applications (RIAs) for the web. It is cross platform, cross browser and cross device plug-in that provides enhanced Web audio and video streaming and playback using industry-leading Technologies.
Build Rich Internet Applications with Silverlight
Some new features in Silverlight 2 include-
- .NET Framework support with a rich base class library.
- Powerful built-in controls including DataGrid, ListBox, Slider, ScrollViewer, Calendar controls etc.
- Advanced skinning and templating support.
- Deep zoom with ultrahigh resolution imagery.
- Comprehensive networking support with Out-of-the-box support for calling REST, WS*/SOAP, POX, RSS and standard HTTP services.
- Advanced content protection with Silverlight DRM, powered by PlayReady
- Improved server scalability and expanded advertiser support.
- Vibrant partner ecosystem.
- Cross-platform and cross-browser support.
Download Silverlight to experience the next generation web. You will also like to visit Eclipse4SL, which provides an open source, professional RIA application development environment for Microsoft Silverlight in Eclipse. They are featuring a technology preview of the Soyatec project, after Microsoft announced plans to support additional tools for developing Silverlight applications by providing funding to Soyatec, a France-based IT solutions provider and Eclipse Foundation member.