Google has  removed the search box in search results when displayed in the Chrome browser. It is well accepted that people now search directly from the browser in Chrome and other browsers, so is there a  need for the separate search box?

Is it necessary to display the search box again when people could search directly from the Chrome address bar.

No Google Search Box!

It was a surprise at first as I could not see a place to enter my next search query on the Google results page, but then Google wants you to use the Chrome url box by default. While I search regularly from the Chrome in my Chromebook, many people might still type Google.com and then type in search in the Google search box (I know at least 10 people who still do that).

This is how a query for ‘quickonlinetips’ looks in Chrome Browser

New Google Search Box

This is how the same query give results in Internet Explorer when searched from the browser. Notice there is the Address bar and the Google search box –  so there are 2 places where you enter a Google search query. Also notice the address bar shows the search term with a search icon in Chrome, while it shows the search url result in IE.

Google Search Box in IE

The Google Omnibox

Its clear Google is testing to integrate the Google search bar in the Chrome address bar. Google calls this address bar the Omnibox as it can do mostly everything a search box can, and even provide search suggestions.

I realized this was an issue as I was testing for the search results for ‘quickonlinetips.com‘ and when I type this in Chrome address bar – it will simply open the site. While if you type it in Google Search box browser bar in  IE, you get the search results for ‘quickonlinetips.com‘ and not open the site.

Google results for QOT

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think it is a good idea to remove the search box and integrate it in the Chrome browser itself.

Share:

Free Email Newsletter

Get every new tip we post in your email. » More info
11,000 subscribers and growing...

Recommended for you »

14 Responses

1. SteveC says:

It won’t bother me, because I rarely use the search box anyway. I use Chrome primarily.

That said, I know a lot of IE users and think this will make things harder for them.

So, I don’t think it is a real good decision for Google.

2. Pat says:

I actually like that better. It sucks using the address bar to go to your bookmark and have Google search results recommendations appear instead.

They’re just doing what Firefox has been doing all along.

3. P. Chandra says:

They have retained the search box in IE. It affects only the Chrome browser.

4. Remy says:

I didn’t notice this since I use safari most to e the time. However, in my desktop computer is us chrome browser, and as Steve states doesn’t bother me that much because I don’t use is that much.

5. I think its about time, the URL box is perfect for chrome. On another note did you try out the Rubiks cube Google put on their homepage?

6. But my chrome is showing it…. search box on search results. How’s this possible.

7. Great Idea…………….by Google updates.

8. Tech84 says:

So i guess it wasn’t just me, or my chrome doing weird things again.

Maybe they are trying to make users use the search bar(address bar) instead when searching? but I don’t find any compelling reason why they should, or they are just doing some testing?

9. Nutri Bullet says:

nice update from google…

10. Tom says:

Even I noticed the same recently after updating my browser. However, I think that this one is better as it removes the issues of changing your queries again and again in the search box

11. Downling says:

Quote: “I know at least 10 people who still do that”

Yep, I also know lot of my friends who still do that. I don’t know why they do this still when built-in functionality is there!

Downling

12. Riya says:

I don’t use chrome much but today after updating it, I used it and what I found was that there wasn’t any search box. I was confused and finally found this post and got to know that it is a new feature :P

13. Ferdin Easin says:

I think it’s a bad idea, i usually use mozila that’s why i didn’t notice it, but google should get the search box back cause it’s easy to find the keywords what a visitor wants.

14. Max says: