This is a collection of Flickr tools and services for a powerful photo-sharing experience. Flickr is a revolution in photo storage, sharing, and organization, making image management an easy, natural, and collaborative process. Get comments, notes, and tags on your photos, post to any blog, share and chat live, and more! Flickr claims to be the best online image management and photo-sharing application.
Flickr was originally created by Ludicorp, a Canadian company, and was later acquired by Yahoo! in 2005. It is a popular platform for photographers, artists, and other creatives to share their work and connect with others in the photography community.
You can start uploading your photos (like jpeg, jpg, gif, png, etc.) on Flickr easily via the web or use uploading tools for Mac and Windows to make it easy to upload a batch of hi-res photos all at once. You can send your photos to Flickr with a special upload by email address. You can also use reverse image search tools to find Flickr images hosted elsewhere online
When you upload photos by email, use the subject line to give your photo a title, and the body of the email to give it a description.
If you are a Flickr newbie, read How to get the most out of Flickr. [Did you know which is the most popular camera on Flickr?] You can now choose to license the photos you upload to Flickr under a Creative Commons license. AI image generators are readily providing great options for social media enthusiasts to share free images.
Developers interested in adding to this toolset might want to visit the FlickrIdeas forum or investigate the public Flickr API. The Flickr API is now available for non-commercial use by outside developers. Flickr forums are available to every Flickr member as a place to ask questions, suggest features or report a bug.
As mobile phones have replaced DSLR cameras by large and have brought the camera and photography skills within reach of the common person, a good camera phone has become essential. While cheap mobile phones like Jio Phone 3 have become popular in India, the cameras are suboptimal.
Here is a list of camera phones you might like –
Note: Some of the unlinked tools are possibly discontinued and are retained for archival purposes.
Official Flickr Tools
- Flickr Uploadr -Download an installer (.exe) that allows you to publish a batch of photos into Flickr directly from your computer. Just drag and drop in your photos and add some tags.
- Flickr Organizr – a powerful tool to create sets that help you organize and display your photos.
- Flickr Tabs – Get a beautiful photo each time you open a new tab in your browser. Chrome browser.
Third-Party Flickr Tools
- Flump – this application will allow you to download all your public Flickr photos.
- Compfight – uses Flickr’s API to search the database of photos across the Internet and display them as live clickable thumbnails.
- Phlogre – is Photo Organizer for local photos and Flickr photos.
- PicMarkr – this is a free tool to add custom watermarks to your images online
- nFlickrViewer – it is an image viewer with full Flickr thumbnail support. All Flickr image sizes are supported. Also, support selection by Flickr group or tags.
- Flickriver – it allows you to scroll interesting Flickr photos infinitely like a ‘river of photos’. Also has new ways to explore and view Flickr photographs.
- GratePic – is a useful tool for posting, commenting, and rating Flickr pics. Cross-platform use.
- FlickrSync – is a photo synchronization application. Allows you to synchronize between photo sets and image folders.
- Desktop Flickr Organizer for Gnome – allows image management of Flickr photos. You can search, upload and download photos.
- flickrSLiDR – embed Flickr slideshows on your website
- Flickr Notifier – track your friend’s Flickr streams in real-time
- Flickr4Writer – a useful tool for those using Windows live writer to find and insert Flickr images into their posts
- Gickr – create a GIF animation from your Flickr photos
- Fireflix – a Flickr uploader/manager extension for Firefox web browser.
- FlickrFaves – helps to download high-resolution Flickr images on your computer
- Printr Killr – printing out instantly-designed card decks and calendars from Flickr
- Flickr Finder – a Mac application to browse your Flickr photos without a browser
- FlickrViewer – allows you to view a Flickr photo set in SimpleViewer, a popular flash photo viewing tool.
- FlickrFont – converts any text to images, fresh each time the page loads.
- Flickr2Photocast – generates an iPhoto-compatible photo cast feed from Flickr. Can contain up to 500 images and claims to be better than the Flickr original RSS feed.
- Travelr – lets you display your Flickr photos geo I am graphically on a world map.
- FlickrFly – is a script that can be linked from the description or comment of a geotagged Flickr Photo to fly you to that location in Google Earth.
- phpFlickr – a PHP client for the Flickr web service. It has functions that return the responses from Flickr’s API in a meaningful way for PHP developers.
- Bubblr – Create comic strips using photos from Flickr.
- Favcol – the background of this page is Flickr’s favorite color
- h4ppierphotos – helps find photos that are not already in sets and/or filter by date and then add them to a new or existing set or tag them.
- ZoneTag – can automatically tag your photos with the location, based on the cell tower, in which they were taken.
- Flickr Mixr – uses RSS feeds provided by Flickr and parses them to generate new images.
- Tiltomo – play with their Visual Search code using two sample databases from Flickr.
- TagMan – a hangman game for Flickr tags.
- John’s Background Switcher – periodically changes the background image on your computer to a photo from Flickr at intervals.
- RSS2PDF for Flickr – create PDF archives based on any Flickr newsfeed. The photos must be made public.
- Flickr & Webimager – Screen capture image upload tool based on Flickr API.
- Spahk – MobileMashup to View photographs from Flickr based on keywords (tags) or a random sampling of interesting photographs on Java-enabled phones with MIDP 2.0 support.
- Flickrball – is a six-degrees-of-separation game, using Flickr thumbnails and tags for clues.
- Fastr – a game where you are shown a group of pictures from Flickr and have to guess the tag before other people do.
- FlickrFling – displays the text of the news feed with accompanying images from Flickr.
- Flickr Logo Maker – enter text and it generates a Flickr-style logo image
- Flickr Sets RSS – Created RSS streams for sets of a user on Flickr.
- Flickeur – retrieves random images from Flickr.com and creates a stream-of-consciousness type of video clip.
- Findr – Find photos on Flickr by browsing and refining related tags.
- Tagnautica – is an experimental navigation tool built to explore the space of related Flickr tags.
- Clockr – see the current time with Flickr photos. The Flickr image URLs will be stored locally and refreshed every three days to save bandwidth and speed up the start-up time.
- Slickr – Flickr screensaver shows images from a user, group, tags, etc. from Flickr.
- Gnickr – manage photos on your Flickr site as if they were local files on your Gnome desktop.
- Wikinews Flickr License Searcher – searches Flickr for images licensed under a specific license. Meant to help users of Wikinews find free images for use on the site.
- Yahoo Widgets for Flickr – get Flickr-related widgets on your desktop after downloading the Yahoo! Widget Engine.
- FlickrBuddy – See and download the most interesting pictures of your Flickr contacts.
- FlickrWallpaper – is a simple desktop wallpaper changer that downloads photos based on tags from Flickr.
- Flickrmap – Put a flash-based world map on your own website or blog.
- Embedded Flickr Slideshows – All that’s needed is a bit of code to embed them within your website to give your readers something dynamic.
- Flickr hack: All Sizes for all pics – The public API gives directions for constructing the URL of any photo based on information in the HTML of every photo page.
- Flickrfs Virtual Flickr Filesystem – Create a virtual userspace filesystem that allows easy uploading/downloading/searching of images through Flickr.
- Phlickr – is an open-source PHP5-based API kit used to access the Flickr API.
- KFlickr – A standalone Flickr.com uploader for KDE
- FAlbum – a wordpress plugin that allows you to display your Flickr photos and photosets on your site.
- flickrRSS Plugin – This plugin for WordPress allows you to display a flickr style badge (for a tag, user, user tag or group pool) on your WordPress site.
- EgoWalk – see geographically where all your Flickr contacts live in the United States on a Yahoo! map.
- BreadKrumbs – Build instant page-to-page journeys across Flickr photos. Also works as a good group promotion tool.
- Flickr Explorer – Mass photo downloader for Flickr.
- Flickr Importr – a tool for Windows that allows you to upload images to Flickr and automatically add them to groups and sets.
- FlickrRandom – presents randomly-picked photos from Flickr.
- Mobup – a small J2ME application that manages mobile photo uploads on your Flickr account
- fd’s Flickr Toys – fun tools for Flickr image editing
- QOOP flickr Photo Printer – online photo printing service for your Flickr photos in book form.
- Flickr idGettr – find your Flickr user id number. For some reason, the only way to figure it out is by looking at your RSS stream address.
- Steganography with Flickr – See how steganography images can be shared with Flickr friends to pass on documents or other files.
- FlickrDown – downloading photos from Flickr to save locally is easier.
- Associatr – A tool for browsing related tags on Flickr.
- Flickr Montager – create photo mosaics using Flickr tags.
- Search Plugins: Flickr – searching Flickr.
- Glimmr – is a photo uploader for the Flickr web service.
- Longline Tool – composes long-line mosaics from the Long Line group pool over at Flickr.
- FlickrJ – Java wrapper for the Flickr REST API.
- Flickrfox -is an extension for Firefox (version 1.0) that lets you browse your Flickr photostreams in a sidebar.
- Degradr -is a Firefox Greasemonkey script to replace flash representations of photos on flicr.com with the image files embedded in those flash files.
- Photoupload – Image uploader to Flickr. Upload photos directly to the photoset, Use IPTC and EXIF fields in the photo description and generate tags from IPTC keywords.
- uploadr.py – Upload images to your Flickr account in Python. Once this script is running, simply drag and drop images into the specified upload folder and watch as your images appear on your Flickr account.
- 50 people See – is a program to blend Flickr images that share the same tags. No human is involved in choosing, positioning, or blending the images.
- Spell with Flickr -Generate one picture per letter.
- TripperMap – automatically search your photos at Flickr for location information and plot the photos on your own Trippermap, on your own website.
- dFlickr wraps most functions of the Flickr API and provides the necessary classes to access users/photos/photosets/groups/pools/blogs in Flickr.
- Flickr Color Picker – Using images from the Color Fields group, just click on a color, use the slider to adjust lightness and darkness, and it will show you photos with that color.
If you really get addicted to Flickr – Upgrade to a Pro Account and get more monthly upload limits, unlimited storage, unlimited bandwidth, and unlimited photosets with permanent archiving of high-resolution original images. So have you Flickr-ed today? [Image © BestPhotoStudio – Fotolia.com]
Do you know of a great Flickr tool that deserves to be on this list?