The Apple Macbook Air was launched with much fanfare as the world’s thinnest notebook. But delving into the technical specifications, there are some essential features that the Macbook Air Lacks, which is a big compromise on a modern day laptop just for thinness. Fondly being called MBA, if its not just the lightest notebook you want, you might like to read what’s missing…
Top Features Macbook Air Lacks
1. No User replaceable Battery – Most busy travellers carry spare batteries to avoid the limited battery times provided by a single battery. Long air flight and airport waiting can easily drain your battery. The integrated lithium-polymer battery will of course run for those 5 hours or more, but then you need to go searching for a power source. With no option to change the battery yourself, it is a serious issue for busy users. You need to buy the Apple MagSafe Airline Adapter to plug it into your airline seat power port and keep your MacBook Air powered up for the entire journey.
2. No Optical Drive – A basic CD-ROM/writer drive is an essential component of all laptops or computers. I believe we need at least a basic CD read and write capability with our computers. As DVD writers are becoming common, a laptop with no optical drive is very limiting. Did I mention you cannot watch DVD movies now… For software installations, they are relying on the Remote Disc feature that allows you to access the DVD or CD drive of a nearby Mac or Windows PC by the MacBook Air SuperDrive.
3. No Ethernet – I need to use dial up internet access at times. Broadband access and Wifi is limited in many countries. Buying a modem to support my internet access is limiting. You will need to buy an Ethernet adaptor that connects to virtually any Wi-Fi network. Although 802.11n Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 2.1 are present.
4. Only 1 USB Port – Everything is running on USB ports these days, be it the additional printer, powerful speakers, extra mouse etc. and a modern laptop with 1 USB port is very limiting. You will need to buy a USB hub which supports multiple USB ports to network more stuff. And as you read on, there are many more gadgets you will need to attach via this single USB port.
5. No Microphone socket – As the world get more social, international calling rates get cheaper, and internet voice chat is the new mode of communication, a microphone socket is a basic requirement for clear communication. Podcasters might miss this.
6. Limited Hard disc Storage – As new computer models are edging at 160GB-250GB, buying an expensive notebook like Apple Macbook Air with limited 80GB hard disc storage and then scout for new extra data storage devices is a problem.
7. No FireWire port – This port is becoming a standard for connecting several electronic gadgets like digital video camcorders. Now importing your digital videos might need a new way to network.
More nitpicks –
2GB RAM – While it suffices for most people, but you cannot upgrade it. 4GB RAM will soon become a standard and more memory hogging applications will come up, then 2GB RAM might seem limiting.
High Price – You can buy a more powerful feature rich notebook for lesser prices in competitor models, even in the Mac range. But if you wish to own the thinnest notebook in the world, it is expected to have premium pricing.
Final word…if you decide to buy
Remember you have a unique, very powerful notebook in your hand, created by the quality trusted Apple brand and many of these factors were essential to fit everything into the thinnest notebook in the world. For those who want to make a style statement holding the Macbook Air, its a powerful peace of art, and maybe a feature or less would do…
Read more tips about
Start a discussion. Share your view: Post a Comment on Twitter