Remember there are some limits to your Blogger account… A blogger recently emailed me about recurring errors on republishing his blog. He had a very long index page and huge monthly archives.
Blogger Help clearly defines the limits on your Blogger account. Some key points are presented.
- Number of Blogs: Unlimited.
- Number of Posts: Unlimited.
- Size of Posts: Individual posts do not have a specific size limit, but very large posts may run you up against the page size limit.
- Size of Pages: Individual pages (the main page of your blog, or your archive pages) are limited to 1 MB in size.
- Number of Comments: Unlimited.
- Number of Pictures: Posted via Blogger, Picasa, or Hello to a free BlogSpot blog, there is a total limit of 300 MB.
- Size of Pictures: Through Blogger Mobile there is a limit of 250K per picture.
- Team Members: Unlimited.
- Blog Description: Limited to 500 characters, with no HTML.
- “About Me” Profile: Maximum of 1200 characters.
- Profile Interests and Favorites: Maximum of 20 items each, 60 characters per item.
As to my blogger friends problems, he exceeded the index 1MB page size limit. By reducing the number of posts on his main page, he fixed this error and the blog also loaded faster. In fact, if your archives gets huge in size and crosses that 1MB limit, you can have problems republishing your entire blog. I had such a problem, which was fixed by Expandable Post Summaries which shortened the posts presented in the archives and reduced their size. Another option is to shift from monthly to weekly archives.