My Biggest Mistake with Google AdSense

By Posted 2010 Updated   AdvertisingGoogleGuest Posts

Want to know about my biggest Google Adsense mistake? Like most of the bloggers I started my blog monetization with Google AdSense. Just after two and half months of online presence, I applied for a Google AdSense Account. Fortunately the application was approved and I became an AdSense publisher within three months of my online existence.

I was very happy, cause in spite of being an Indian publisher my account was approved though there is some sort of a guideline clearly mentioned at Google AdSense Support that clearly states that for publishers from India and China the blog age must be at least six months.

I added Google AdSense code in my blog. With each passing day, it was heartening to see the AdSense money getting bigger. Though the increment on a daily basis was quite small, the excitement of earning a passive income was something that kept me smiling and inspired to work more on my blog. Here I’ll share my biggest Google AdSense mistake which may help newbie bloggers.

Google AdSense Shock

Google adsense mistakeAfter a month or so from now I was expecting my first pay-check from Google AdSense as by that time I would’ve definitely touched the payout threshold of US$ 100. Lost in my dreams, one fine evening after publishing an article at my blog, when I visited my blog, I was shocked to find Public Service Advertisements (PSAs).

Perhaps it’s the Google’s way of shock & awe to its publishers. Generally I view my AdSense earnings through Blogger’s monetization tab. I logged into my AdSense account to discover the following message:

Your pages are displaying Public Service Advertisements (PSAs) because you haven’t yet verified your PIN and/or phone number. See the Payment History page for more details

When I explored a bit I found that Google has sent me a PIN (Personal Identification Number) using “standard mail” (postal service) almost four months back. Unfortunately, it never reached me. Moreover, there was no email communication from Google regarding this issue. Now my account will be on hold till verification is over. In worst case, if I couldn’t complete this in a time span of approx. 1 month I will end up losing my hard earned money.

Why a PIN is required?

Google sends the PIN to your payment address which you’ve provided during AdSense registration. The PIN you receive needs to be submitted to Google from the Google AdSense Account. Once they receive the correct PIN, it means the contact information provided by you is accurate and they can issue your pay-check at the verified address.

What is the most irritating part here?

Once your account is on hold, you are not earning a single penny. Moreover Google never bothers to send you any email that they have send some PIN to your payment address. So, you must regularly visit your Google AdSense account for information and warnings.

Also, you can’t track the postal mail as they are delivered through simple mail, it seems. Also, the whole process is a time consuming one. If you do not receive the PIN, you can request for subsequent PIN only after a gap of 3 weeks (of 1st PIN generation date).

How to avoid Payment Hold?

Wait for your account to reach Verification Threshold i.e. US$10 (for other currencies check the threshold amount). Once your AdSense account reaches this threshold Google will send you a postal mail. The postal mail will contain your PIN which you must submit to your Google AdSense account.

In case postal mail doesn’t reach you, request for a new PIN. Google will send you PIN through postal mail only thrice. If you’ve not received it for the third time, a link will appear in your AdSense Account. They will ask you to send a digital copy of a valid address proof. Once they receive it, they will manually remove the hold.

So, if you are of the type who is a new AdSense publisher and yet to receive a PIN, act quickly before your account is on hold. Be aware and active till Google discovers a better way of address verification and fund transfer.

Guest author Basant Narayan Singh is a Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist. He writes about cloud computing service and web technology at Techno-Pulse.com and recently wrote about best and free cloud computing applications. Image credits to nicholas_blake under CC license. You can also share your Adsense tips and join 200 guest bloggers on QOT.

This is a guest article and represents opinions of the guest author

24 comments on “My Biggest Mistake with Google AdSense

1. Basant Singh says:

Glad that you liked it. While writing this I am still anxiously waiting for the post-man to deliver the PIN! In brief, my message to all the new AdSense publishers, as soon as you reach the verification threshold, act quickly & be aware of your AdSense account. Otherwise you may end-up in an eleventh hour mess with Google, which has no direct customer support for its AdSense Publishers.

2. Swamykant says:

Hi Basant

Very Good Article.

I am also waiting for post to deliver the PIN. I will have planned to request new PIN, if I don’t receive in another 3 days.

Hoping for the Best

3. Mobinepal says:

I got my account Disabled when I reached 100$ and was waiting for my payments.Never got the payment was waiting for.really it made me so unhappy and depressed..

4. Shelly says:

Though seemingly a small issue, its well brought forward to the front of eyes (and mind of course). This luckily didn’t happen with us, but we’ve also heard a lot of people saying they suffered getting their payout cheques on hold for some unwanted time period.

And, its heartening at the same time to know that you crossed the $100 threshold in the very first month of publishing your blog itself. Very few people can claim this feat. It took us some 10-11 months to get the first $100 payment :-)

BTW, your blog is cleaner and impressive. Keep going!

5. Basant Singh says:

@Shelly: Thanks for the compliment.
    @Mobinepal: Indeed it’s unfortunate to get disabled but was it due to non verification of address or some other reason?
    @Swamykant: Lets keep our fingers crossed :-)

6. TechGyo says:

Yeah, this is regular thing from Adsense. They give us shock when our hope rise high up the sky.

7. Liezl says:

I had the same experience as Mobinepal. Lately, my blog was also labeled spam and it was disabled. Can’t access it anymore despite of numerous appeals. So depressing!

8. chuck says:

Good article, almost newbie for adsense excite for first $100. Thanks

9. Jlee says:

I setup a blog with a .com name using a host. Then just recently I setup a blog at blogger. com. In your post you said that you check your payment info from “Blogger’s monetization tab”.
    Having to learn so much about wordpress and blogs I have not yet did anything with Adsense. My question is can I have Adsense in a wordpress blog as well as blogger .com?

10. Basant | Techno-Pulse says:

Yes. You can use the same AdSense A/C for multiple blogs/sites.

11. anand says:

thanks for this blog……
    i will also waiting for my pin

12. Jimmy says:

It feel’s like there’s always something wrong happening when you want something the most, Adsense works you just have to watch out so you don’t miss out on any information :) Nice post anyways!

13. Amarnath says:

Thanks for sharing your experience with adsense and will make sure not do the same mistake

14. Julian says:

that’s it
    i prefer using Western Union rather than Checks :-)

by the way i am Indonesian

15. faizan says:

Dear brother can you please tell me how can i know that which country publisher approved my adsense and how will i get my pin please tell me.

16. rahul says:

thanks,buddy u opened my eyes…… this post really saved me at the right time

17. Fred Tracy says:

Thanks for the info. I didn’t know about this, guess I’ll be extra careful..

18. Rajan says:

After not getting the PIN for three times, I have mailed them my scanned copy of bank statement without changing the subject line. How much time it will take to get a response, positive or negative, from Google? Any Idea?

19. Neha says:

Today i am very happy to read this great information and i have added my pin code also on my blog.Thanks for the information Which you have provided.

20. mylovelylotus says:

Hi writer,

Sorry to hear that your payment hold.
    Actually, we can to blame google about this, because
    As the information, the usual problem sending mail via postal service is all about the delaying received,
    I think, you need to ask post office regarding this, is there any mail from google to you or not, this is the best way than you just wait for it.
    When first time i apply google adsense to my site, i was worried that the PIN will be delayed to be received, but, thanks God, it’s only 1 month after my registration, i received it.

Your problem here, hopely will give great information for newbies that using google adsense to get money.

21. Jasjotbains says:

Thanks for this informative post :) I too am waiting for my PIN.Went to the post office to enquire today,unfortunately no one there knew where USA was :/ :/ :( and since google sends PIN by standard mail,no record to check if it has come or not

22. Alex says:

Thankfully I had checked my Adsense account in time.

23. Nina says:

Before one puts up adsense on his/her website, one needs to make sure that he is aware of all the common mistakes which can get them banned. This article can prove to be very useful for them..

24. Munna says:

Wrong INFORMATION: IF Account is on Hold you will still earn money. They make it hold so that you can’t release the amount by check. Please update the post