Get Private Domain Name Registration for Privacy

By 21-03-2006   BloggingDomain HostingSecurity
Tweet Share Email Share

Today I received a letter today offering renewal of my other expiring domain name with cheap webhosting deals by a marketing company. It was just that it reached my postal residential address, they knew my phone number, and they knew all details about my expiring domain too. And it was not from my domain registrar!

Whois Records are Public

The Whois allows lookup of personal domain registration details when you register a domain name. Just visit any popular whois service Whois.sc, type in any domain name and see personal details of any domain name. So while you are busy hiding and protecting your personal confidential details like name, address, phone nunmbers from websites and spam tools, the WHOIS provides a legitimate source of such information. Anyone in the world wide web with access to the internet can see your details which affects your privacy and security.

Get private domain registration

I registered this Domain name with GoDaddy.com $1.99 deal and opted for private domain registration. Now see my whois details. GoDaddy helps to keep full privacy by registering through Domains by Proxy which hides the details, while you maintain full control of your domain name. And private domain name registration is free if you apply it to 3 or more domain names (limited time offer). It seems a cheap price for your privacy.

Advertisements

Do not opt for a cheap domain name registrar without private registration. Private Domain Name Registration is no longer optional but an essential requirement!

Update: That $1.95 private domain registration is part of a promotional deal for the first year. Sometimes they offer free private registration if you opt for over 3 domain names. The offer keeps changing. For subsequent years you need to pay the full private registration fee of about $8-9 per domain name.

11 comments on “Get Private Domain Name Registration for Privacy

1. Sara says:

2. Anand says:

can you tell us how much does it cost exactly to register at godaddy for a single domain name including the cost for keeping your registration details private?

please reply. thanks.

3. The promotional deals vary when you register a new domain name. A regular domain name without deal will cost $7-9 per year. Private registration will cost around $7-9 also.

With a deal you can get domain names as low as $2 with free private registration for over 3 domain names. But the deals vary from time to time, so you need to see what is currently applicable.

4. Varun says:

Hi Guys.. godady does a nice trick to force you to renew the private registration each year..

I have written a post on how to cancel private registrations on godaddy

Private Registrations on GoDaddy

5. “Privacy for the first year is $1.95 and then it shoots up to like $8 for the censecutive years.”
    Where can I find cheaper than here

6. Herb says:

I see you use Dreamhost for your hosting. Why don’t you register your domain there also? It’s the same price as Godaddy and I think private registration is free. Just wondering….

7. Better try 1and1.com, it has private domain name registration for free.

8. snas says:

1and1.com not a very good registrator I prefer Daddy

9. WRLL says:

I’m just renewing a domain on GoDaddy, and seeing how much it increases after the first year. It seems that it basically doubles to around $20/year. I have to admit that I like their customer service, but it’s not worth $10/year for each domain. I have around $50 domains, so that’s quite costly over a years period.
    —————————————-
    .COM Domain Name Renewal – 2 Years*
    1 domain(s)
    $21.74*
    Private Registration Services – Renewal
    1 @ $8.99 per year = $17.98

Your Subtotal (USD):

$39.72

10. Paul Johnson says:

I was attracted to 1and1 for domain registration because they DO offer free private registration, but I got frustrated because I had no control over when they renewed my domains and hit my credit card. Also, I discovered that I could only register domains for 1 year at a time. I decided to create something better, and now I run a Domain Registration site (primarily for domainers) that ALSO includes free private domain name registration at http://www.DomainShortcuts.com.