Google Pagerank Drops PR6 to PR3!

By Posted 2007 Updated   AdvertisingBloggingGoogleSEOSite News

The latest Google pagerank update is dropping pageranks of top sites across the blogosphere and we were badly hit too as our pagerank too has dropped from PR6 to PR3! Forums are abuzz about this widespread Google penalization…

Several sites are reporting that several top sites have had their pageranks reduced. There is increasing evidence suggesting that Google is striking blogs selling paid text links. Selling links is a popular source of advertising revenue for bloggers and lots of services have evolved around this business.

Has Google Penalized Our Site?

Our site has been PR6 (some pages PR7) for over a year and now it is showing PR3. We used to run Text Link Ads earlier, which were clearly mentioned as Sponsors (paid links) and no other form of paid text links or hidden (non disclosed) links were used on our site ever. Such links were only accepted in a related niche after checking that the sites were authentic with good content.

But after the buzz began that Google has started reporting paid links and sites were getting penalized, and TLA was not willing to make paid links Google friendly, we removed all the TLA links from our site by August end in support of Google webmaster policies. Though we sacrificed around $400 per month of income, it seemed the logical thing to do. You need Google to get traffic. In addition Google powers Google Adsense, which a more important source of revenue.

So there are no TLA ads since about 2 months now. A notable feature has been that the Google search traffic has stayed same (at least as till now), and it is a visible decrease in the Google toolbar PR to demotivate advertisers to who buy links based on pagerank basis (thats what I hope it is all about!).

Google Says No Paid text links

Google has sent the message across loud and clear to all text link seller and buyers that they will not let paid text links influence their pagerank algorithms. As people were unwilling to remove paid text links – its your site, its their search engine – both do whatever they like. This surely will decrease the ability of sites that sell text links and use pagerank as a guide.

Why penalize top blogs?

Ban a top blog and it is bound to generate the most buzz. A top blogger can spread the word faster and alter the trend on hundreds of smaller blogs in the niche. I already see paid text links disappearing from lots of popular blogs, and many smaller blogs are quickly following lest they too get penalized. Blocking hundreds of small blogs will not have the same effect as penalizing one single popular blog.

The bottomline is that no webmaster can ignore Google. Its your choice if you want to run paid text links on your site against Google wishes. Robin Good points out what you need to know about selling Text Links Ads and Google Penalization.

May Google be Fair

What I hope is that they will restore the pagerank of such sites once it is clear that they no longer have paid text links onsite and are compliant with Google guidelines.

You can file a reconsideration request at Google webmaster tools after you’ve made changes to your site so that it adheres to the guidelines. Have you noticed a dropping pagerank? Use Live Pagerank to find out.

Update: TechCruch says that Blog Networks with link farms seem most affected.

Update 12 Nov 07: Google has fixed our pagerank back to PR6. Thank you Google.

28 comments on “Google Pagerank Drops PR6 to PR3!

1. Andy Beard says:

You are not being quite as careful as you think, for instance I copied this link from inside your widget code, which you are not allowed to modify.

WidgetBucks – Trend Watch – WidgetBucks.com

They don’t include nofollow on the links

2. Neo says:

Yeah, my blog is also affected. Dropped from PR6.

3. Affiliate marketing guide says:

I have just started a blog, niche-traffic-sale.blogspot.com and this news is pretty disheartening.

The good news though is that although your ranking has changed, your traffic does not seem to be affected. At least this is what i have gleaned from your post.

I wonder how severely this has affected your SERP placement?

4. ReviewSaurus says:

Well, there can be ample things whichwill act as a paid link. I’ll say follow what brian clark suggests. You really don’t need to worry much…as you already are popular. Anyway, I’m also sitting at pagerank 4 now down from page rank 6.

5. Innovations & interesting Ramblings says:

Well let us await a formal communication from google or the report of a research done to find out the reasons…To me blogs however popular they are do not deserve the PR as they are mostly duplicate stuff…probably google is taking into account the uniqueness of the of the content as well…hopefully the originator of the content gets the credit as per the new system…i also hope that news that are made popular by social networking sites like digg and others lose credibility as they are 90% unfairly promoted…I have not the pagerank for one of my blogs and it is still PR4 :)

6. Niyaz PK says:

That was bad.
    Really Bad. Google is playing cheap tricks.
    It is big time they stop it.

7. penglipurlara says:

i think drop again to PR 2 :(

8. Jaypee says:

I’ve had my blog drop from PR5 to PR4 after the update. :(

9. Aurelius Tjin says:

Mine is just PR3 and still struggling to get to PR4. Any help on this? :)

10. Ross says:

Sorry to hear about the PR drop. seems to be the trend.

The funny thing is that i have 2 new blogs that both went from N/A to PR4!

I can’t imagine that my blogs have more links than yours. Google PR is an inigma…

11. Pele says:

what do you mena by paid text link? Is it the same as the Kontera text ads?

12. QuickOnlineTips says:

Kontera is in-text advertising and works with Google.

13. Navtej Kohli says:

I am still not sure about Paid link but there are some improvement I had noticed on my site after paid submission .

14. yusuf says:

evden eve nakliyat

15. Annunci says:

Thanks for your tips.

16. eric says:

so really

17. The Success says:

I am so surprise about this article
    When google decrease and punish sites because of paid link.
    Is that true???
    Oh yea, I link your article to my article about
    “Main Factor to Decrease Your Google Pagerank”
    I hope you don’t mind about that

Wish you comment about that article

18. web says:

Can someone please tell me why my website http://www.spiralteck.com page ranks keeps alternating between pr3 and pr4

19. Aamir Husain says:

Exactly all the above deployed post are very useful for me, but still i have some trouble regarding page rank that google has been updated their database. But sadly my site still having the same PR as before.

20. Chong says:

Hi,

My blog only have affiliate link & adsense ads.

I also wondering why Google downgrade my PR to 2 from 3…

Anyone know what is happening???

21. TNH says:

hi…i’m a new blogger.I don’t know that google ban paid post until i got no google rank. I wonder how to get back my page rank? can you guide me? beside,it is putting the “pay per post” at the side of my blog consider sell text link too?

22. love says:

I am thankful to read this information. Actually, i have two sites and i use paid links on the other one. I am afraid that its pr will going down. Well, i am just starting doing seo for the other one.

23. an office equipment seller says:

My site got hit too, but luckily wasn’t much, just a level drop from PR1 to PR0. :D

24. andika says:

what about my paid review jobs…? :-(

25. Myers says:

Thanks for sharing this.

26. Sujit says:

The google has their own algorithm to increase / decrease PR!! I hope you will get high PR soon!!

27. paul strauss says:

Did you ever figure out if Kontera was the culprit? I saw my PR drop from PR5 to PR3 about 2 years ago, and I’ve never been able to get it back, despite being a very popular site with hundreds of thousands of backlinks.

28. bibit bidara says:

thanks for share, but how to increase blog pr?